Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Some Fans Unhappy That Asafa Punked-Out

Slated for the 200m sprint at his alma mater ;Utech at the "U-tech Invitational " held at the National Stadium (fielding teams from Sweden, Columbia, Korea, Germany, US and Britain). Asafa was surprisingly a no show for the start after his top billing for that event which attracted fans far and wide.

The sprinter was comfortably seated in the grandstand with the fans watching a field comprising training mates : Frater & Carter and Ferrez from Cuba while he signed autographs.

The guy seated beside me heckled him all evening demanding that "he go out on the track "or pay him back a portion of his admission from his pocket.

I must admit that felt slighted too. Especially that he would not likely race on national soil again until the World Trials.

To be fair, it was made public via an article published in the Jamaica Gleaner on April 18 that Asafa's name was not on the Start list for the event. Very short notice, but notice nonetheless.
    Regards,
    toyracer

Comment

Originally posted by toyracer
      To be fair, it was made public via an article published in the Jamaica Gleaner on April 18 that Asafa's name was not on the Start list for the event. Very short notice, but notice nonetheless.
      I see your point but, the tickets were on sale form the 16th and many of the fans learnt that fact on the saturday while browing throughthe gleaner inthe grandstand. :lol:

Comment

And, I agree with your point as well. Were it not for the wedding of a very good friend on Saturday, I would have purchased my ticket and attended the meet, just to see Asafa run.

We perhaps may never know why he did not run the 200, but I am left to wonder if his history of injury in the event may have played a part.
        Regards,
        toyracer

Comment

"Punked out" makes it sound like his reason for not running was fear or malicious.
          The fool has said...there is no God. Psa 14

Comment

Originally posted by TrackDaddy
            "Punked out" makes it sound like his reason for not running was fear or malicious.
            Fear on the part of Asafa, fraud on the part of the organisers.

Comment

Originally posted by IAAF
              Former 100m World record holder Asafa Powell was to have taken part in the sprint relay with his MVP squad colleagues but withdrew just prior to the 4x100m as a pre-caution against injury.
              That's called smart.

Comment

Originally posted by EPelle
                Former 100m World record holder Asafa Powell was to have taken part in the sprint relay with his MVP squad colleagues but withdrew just prior to the 4x100m as a pre-caution against injury.
                That's called smart.
                True indeed!!

STUPID is what I felt having spent my money and being told by that camp that he would not be running and then seeing him sitting in the stands. I had adjusted my entire weekend (even missing carnival) to see AP run a 200m (a rare spectacle worth missing gyrating on nice lady for)

But there will be other years to come and once bitten twice shy.

Comment

Sorry Paul, get over it.
                  why don't people pronounce vowels anymore

Comment

That's called smart.
                    It's also one of the biggest problems plaguing our sport, and one that goes little commented upon. Is there are any other sport where athletes live in such fear of injury (I hasten to say legitimate injury) that they pull out of competition at the last minute.

After 40 years in the business I can't tell you how many meet promoters I've seen ready to commit hara-kiri when somebody pulls out at the last minute. The good guys, at least, can sometimes be counted on to get on the microphone and apologize to the crowd.

Comment

Whilst I share your sentiment and have a similar point-of-view with no-shows and/or DNS's, I do support the notion that if it was an injury-prevention (warm-up for 4x100m?), it was likely the best course of action. What was the cause of this DNS? A twinge or the thought of something twinging? There is just cause for the former. The latter? Well, that is what threads like this should be for.

Comment

Whilst I share your sentiment and have a similar point-of-view with no-shows and/or DNS's, I do support the notion that if it was an injury-prevention (warm-up for 4x100m?), it was likely the best course of action. What was the cause of this DNS? A twinge or the thought of something twinging? There is just cause for the former. The latter? Well, that is what threads like this should be for.
                        I would definitely agree with that statement. Yes, it is a pain for those waiting for their favorite athlete to compete, but an elite athlete is focused on the Olympics or the World Championships. Next year, no one is going to remember how they placed in a small meeting somewhere. However, they will remember medals. If there is a hint of a problem, why run? It's like running a car with an oil leak. There's only so far you can go w/o pulling over to a garage. Also, you have to know that Asafa would be more focused on a championship setting than anyone at this point because of the reputation he has earned in recent years.
                        If you're ever walking down the beach and you see a girl dressed in a bikini made out of seashells, and you pick her up and hold her to your ear, you can hear her scream.

Comment

Except I'm not talking about "small meeting somewhere." I'm talking starting with my first exposure to big-time track, when the U.S. indoor circuit was the biggest moneymaker athletes had. And continuing on through what's left of today's outdoor circuit.

I recall 3-4 years ago when the Pre organizers were ripping out their hair because 5 or 6 (can't confirm the number with 100% accuracy) athletes came to town, picked up their packets and were supposedly ready to go, then didn't compete in the meet.

How can you sell the public on a product with a drop-out rate like that?

(again, I'm not blaming any of the athletes; it's just a burden that our sport is saddled with, I think unlike any other)

Comment

Originally posted by gh
                            Except I'm not talking about "small meeting somewhere." I'm talking starting with my first exposure to big-time track, when the U.S. indoor circuit was the biggest moneymaker athletes had. And continuing on through what's left of today's outdoor circuit.

I recall 3-4 years ago when the Pre organizers were ripping out their hair because 5 or 6 (can't confirm the number with 100% accuracy) athletes came to town, picked up their packets and were supposedly ready to go, then didn't compete in the meet.

(again, I'm not blaming any of the athletes; it's just a burden that our sport is saddled with, I think unlike any other)
                            I agree.

This may sound picky, but false starts dont help either.
                            The fool has said...there is no God. Psa 14

Comment

Originally posted by gh

Let's not forget the nonsense we saw a few years ago with a 100 for Gatlin and another for Powell.

With golf, I assume pay is entirely determined by finish and endorsements rather than appearance. That way, the prizes would be larger and more clearly focus the athletes.

I have been to Pre several times and always walk away wondering how track functions at all except by the grace of Phil Knight. You have 16 events with 8-20 participants. Let's say that you have 150 athletes. Some are getting appearance fees, more are getting travel expenses, and there is prize money. You have a stadium to rent, officials to pay, publicity to create. All this is the cost side of the equation.

On the revenue side, you have 13,000 seats ranging from $18-$25/seat. I am not guessing that television delivers that much.

Hat's off to the Pre organizers for getting this to work at all.

Comment

Working...
                              X