Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Boston Marathon - Hall, Goucher

Nice racing and placing by the Americans. Both 3rd. I thought Goucher ran a very smart tactical race but was just a little overspent in the last 1k or so. I thought she might rally back with her miler speed over the last few hundred meters. I think Hall might have done better to to less leading, but his tactic got him a high finish so no criticism there.

They BOTH ran the kind of race that will win a big Marathon on the right day. I guess today was not it. It was great to see the Americans way up in the mix right to the finish.
    In the sun with a popsicle, everthing is possible

I was able to catch most of the races. The Boston course, unlike some of the drag race courses, does make pacing and tactics very interesting. Two very different approaches between the men and women but both very enjoyable races to watch unfold. NBC Universal coverage was OK but the lack of announced or on screeen splits was painful.

Congrats to Goucher and Hall. I thought Goucher might pull it out at the end when she went to the front. 5-10 years ago the US fans would have been beside themselves with this class of performance.

Comment

What year last produced two American third-place finishers?

Comment

USATF News Release says it's the first time we've had both a man and a woman on the podium (top 3) since 1985.

http://www.usatf.org/news/view.aspx?dui ... 0_10_32_10

Comment

The men's race was pretty exciting, primarily due to Hall who pushed the pace from the very beginning. Into a headwind is 2:08 is not a bad time. However, on the women's side: what a snoozefest. Barely under 6 minute pace at 20 miles. Without Radcliffe women's marathoning seems to go backward every year.

Comment

Originally posted by Conor Dary
            The men's race was pretty exciting, primarily due to Hall who pushed the pace from the very beginning. Into a headwind is 2:08 is not a bad time. However, on the women's side: what a snoozefest. Barely under 6 minute pace at 20 miles. Without Radcliffe women's marathoning seems to go backward every year.
            I thought the Women's Race was fascinating to watch, and I enjoyed it much more than the Men's Race. But then, I don't let finish times determine my level of appreciation of good racing.

Comment

There is a mistake in the USATF press release regarding the 1985 Boston Marathon.

Lynn Huntington was not an American, but a British citizen residing in Texas (so a Texas hometown showed up for her on results.)

Comment

I was surprised that Hall would lead from the beginning. Seems like his best tactic would have been to relax in the pack of fast Africans and make a late move to push the pace...something after 21 miles. But I was pleased to see him rally after dropping back to 8th or 9th.

Kara perhaps SHOULD have pushed the pace...but I'm not sure...she may have run close to a perfect tactical race, and third the best she could have expected.

Overall I thought both did well in the real world of imperfection!

Comment

Hall and Kara ran great. One can wonder if neither had taken the lead and sat behind the leaders, relaxing, how they would have finished at the end but maybe their front running was responsible for their podium finish. Both on the podium=
                  phsstt!

Comment

Originally posted by SQUACKEE
                    Hall and Kara ran great. One can wonder if neither had taken the lead and sat behind the leaders, relaxing, how they would have finished at the end but maybe their front running was responsible for their podium finish. Both on the podium=
                    I liked about Hall is, like Steve Jones in 1985, ran like he wanted to win. The women on the other hand all looked, common nowadays when PR is not in the race, like they didn't want to lose. 6 minute pace at 20 miles! I suppose it was exciting, but then so is The Price is Right and equally forgettable.

Comment

I liked about Hall is, like Steve Jones in 1985, ran like he wanted to win. The women on the other hand all looked, common nowadays when PR is not in the race, like they didn't want to lose. 6 minute pace at 20 miles! I suppose it was exciting, but then so is The Price is Right and equally forgettable.
                      I think the woman's race was very exciting once the race started. I sat there watching and waiting for "the move" and when Kara finally started putting the hammer down it was riveting, who would she drop, how did the other runners look and so on?
                      phsstt!

Comment

To each is own, of course. I thought that both Hall and Goucher felt they had a legitimate shot at winning, and both gave it a shot, in their own way.
                        As far as the Women's Race, there were probably 6 or 7 who had a chance, but none who were the overwhelmingly favourite to win it from the front, especially if a headwind was a factor, as some of the athletes stated.
                        So as the miles went on, at admittedly an easy pace (for them), the drama mounted for me. Who was going to make a move, when, and how many others would answer the move, and who would prevail? That played out right until the final steps, and I thought it was a great race.

Comment

My criticism of Goucher is I think she has a lot of talent but runs likes her main worry is about paying the bills. The women's race yesterday had all of the excitement of watching a 2 dollar hold 'em game.

I think Goucher should try to emulate Joan Benoit at her best when, as at Chicago 1985 JB ran her own race and just went hard the whole time.

It is marvelous watching Joanie on the video of that race. Just completely focused and hammering.

Comment

I think the woman's race was very exciting once the race started. I sat there watching and waiting for "the move" and when Kara finally started putting the hammer down it was riveting, who would she drop, how did the other runners look and so on?
                            A 20 mile jog, I've been on training runs that weren't much slower than that, and a 10k in 33.

Comment

My criticism of Goucher is I think she has a lot of talent but runs likes her main worry is about paying the bills. The women's race yesterday had all of the excitement of watching a 2 dollar hold 'em game.

I think Goucher should try to emulate Joan Benoit at her best when, as at Chicago 1985 JB ran her own race and just went hard the whole time.

It is marvelous watching Joanie on the video of that race. Just completely focused and hammering.
                              I think its unfair to compare anyone with Benoit's legendary and magical front running abilty. She's one of a kind.
                              phsstt!

Comment

Working...
                              X