Boys HS High Jump [White Now 7-5¾]

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Boys HS High Jump [White Now 7-5¾]

Is poppin' this year! It's still early in the outdoor season and we already have:

7-3.25 White, James
    7-3 Ross, Nick
    7-2.75 Kynard, Erik (7-4.5i)
    7-2 Raymond Higgs
    + 7-2i Jonathan Hill

Hopefully they can be steered into good college programs and nurtured into the next gen of great Ami HJers!

Kynard is heading to Kansas State this fall. They are probably the premier high jump university in the US. They are also courting James White.
    If you're ever walking down the beach and you see a girl dressed in a bikini made out of seashells, and you pick her up and hold her to your ear, you can hear her scream.

Comment

Re: Boys HS High Jump

Originally posted by Marlow
      Is poppin' this year! It's still early in the outdoor season and we already have:

7-3.25 White, James
      7-3 Ross, Nick
      7-2 Raymond Higgs
      + 7-2i Jonathan Hill

Hopefully they can be steered into good college programs and nurtured into the next gen of great Ami HJers!
      Thanks for this one Marlow. I was really becoming concerned about the future of high jumping in the US. These guys are really impressive I hope the NBA itch does not get to them.

Are any of these world leading?

Comment

James is a junior so he has more than enough time to make his decision. Kansas State is on his radar though. He will go atleast 7'6 before he leaves HS.

Comment

Re: Boys HS High Jump

Originally posted by Paul Henry
          Originally posted by Marlow

7-3.25 White, James
          7-3 Ross, Nick
          7-2 Raymond Higgs
          + 7-2i Jonathan Hill

Thanks for this one Marlow. I was really becoming concerned about the future of high jumping in the US. These guys are really impressive I hope the NBA itch does not get to them.

Are any of these world leading?
          James is currently =14th in the world. Of course, it is very early in the outdoor season. The top 3 HS jumpers White (Jr), Kynard and Ross are looking quite impressive. There is also a freshman in Ohio that is in the 6'9" to 6'10" range this season.
          If you're ever walking down the beach and you see a girl dressed in a bikini made out of seashells, and you pick her up and hold her to your ear, you can hear her scream.

Comment

Raymond Higgs who is Bahamian has jumped 2.21 (7-3). Don't think he's going to Kansas State.

What other options are there? Just curious.

Comment

Per,

Are we talking about the same Raymond Higgs? I'm not sure, but I think there are two out there. The Bahamian Higgs went to Fla, whereas the recent one is based in Georgia. Maybe I'm wrong, but I think they are two different athletes.

Good jump schools include Cal, USC, Arkansas, Penn State. There's plenty more.

Comment

7-3 man Nick Ross is going to U. of Arizona, seems to be thinking about also dabbling in basketball.

Comment

Originally posted by richxx87
                  7-3 man Nick Ross is going to U. of Arizona, seems to be thinking about also dabbling in basketball.
                  Actually, he may consider jumping as a career

http://mb.trackandfieldnews.com/discuss ... hp?t=34979

Comment

Looks like White hit 7'5.75" (#3 A-T) today.

If it was 2.28m, it's tied for #4 in the world outdoors this year I believe.

And much to the dismay of people who aren't idiots, it's being touted as a national record (NFHS and all, you know).

http://www.kansascity.com/sports/story/1155508.html

Regardless, outstanding performance.

Comment

Yup, they're mixing those apples and oranges again. NFHS records can only be set at state meets; this was an invitational. But he's only a 1/4" from the junior class record. Yay!

Comment

Originally posted by BisonHurdler
                        Looks like White hit 7'5.75" (#3 A-T) today.

If it was 2.28m, it's tied for #4 in the world outdoors this year I believe.

And much to the dismay of people who aren't idiots, it's being touted as a national record (NFHS and all, you know).

http://www.kansascity.com/sports/story/1155508.html

Regardless, outstanding performance.
                        Wow, quite impressive. That's ANOTHER PR for him by 2.5"!! This after he already PR'd by 2" at the KS Relays. He's 1/2" higher than what Scott Sellers cleared in high school and 1/4" off of Dothel Edwards' junior record. What are the chances of him jumping a 2.32m between now and next year to eclipse Manson's HS record? I think I just decided to attend the National HS champs this year.

Comment

To my knowledge, Kynard hasn't played basketball since junior high so don't worry about him. Story has it he was mixed up with some bad-attitude kids back then who all got thrown off the track team but was allowed back on after the parents made a personal plea. He started jumping after that and the rest is history.

Who is the Ohio freshman? Milesplit lists Michael Ballentine (6' 9") as a sophomore and doesn't have any freshmen above 6' 0". This is important to me because among my stats I keep Ohio records by class and freshmen boys are notoriously hard to pin down since they rarely make any national lists.

Comment

Originally posted by Mighty Favog
                            To my knowledge, Kynard hasn't played basketball since junior high so don't worry about him. Story has it he was mixed up with some bad-attitude kids back then who all got thrown off the track team but was allowed back on after the parents made a personal plea. He started jumping after that and the rest is history.

Who is the Ohio freshman? Milesplit lists Michael Ballentine (6' 9") as a sophomore and doesn't have any freshmen above 6' 0". This is important to me because among my stats I keep Ohio records by class and freshmen boys are notoriously hard to pin down since they rarely make any national lists.
                            Dyestat has Ballentine listed as class of 2012. Which is it?

http://parser.dyestat.com/search.jsp?athID=99133

Comment

Grade-10

Comment

Working...
                              X