Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Spain - the place to avoid drug testing...

Collapse

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Spain - the place to avoid drug testing...

In Spain, can you still get steroids over the counter without a prescription?

Does the legislation below mean Spanish athletes (or even Russians etc who use Spain as a full time training base) are likely to be excluded from international competitions?

The Spanish government has passed legislation that allows athletes in the country to refuse night time doping tests, a move that is in direct defiance of the World Anti-Doping Agency's rules.

The decree, which will come into law in several weeks, allows any athlete living or training in Spain to turn away anti-doping agents that appear for a sample between 11pm and 8am, El Pais newspaper reported on Tuesday.

The new law stipulates that the athlete refuse anyone, even testers from national or international sports bodies, without threat of sanctions.

WADA rules stipulate that athletes must be available 24 hours a day for testing.

The law would also slacken the whereabouts clause, with athletes only needing to register a home residence, training centres, competition schedule and an alternative residence if they are away from their main home for more than three days.

The move comes nearly two weeks after FIFA reached an agreement with WADA to limit the number of players who would be required to detail their whereabouts each day during the offseason for testing.

I don't know - is a tester likely to call on an athlete at 2 am? Is a drug administered at 11.01 pm likely to have cleared the system by 8.01 am?

The pro-civil liberties guy in me say "yes!" but the anti-drugs guy in me says "no".

Of course, countries that don't comply with the WADA code should be banned from international championships. Although I'd love to be a fly on the wall when whichever poor schmuck from the IOC/IAAF/whichever tells, for example, Russia, China or the USA that they can't take part in whatever year's championships. I have a feeling I'd learn a few new swear words! :lol:

Comment

this rule makes no sense at all what about the athletes who want to be tested at 6 in the morning ??

they still have to give an hour a day to be tested it just inconveniences those that want to do it at home on the morning

it helps no-one as nobody would have been tested unless they had requested that time anyway :?
      i deserve extra credit

Comment

Don't you all realize the implicaions that these tests could have on the football industry. Spain cannot risk any bad publicity to La Liga. This is way pass athletics!!!

Comment

As much as I dislike the new WADA rules, I do not see how this is supposed
          to work: A testing team comes by in the night, the athlete turns them away,
          WADA (IOC, IAAF, FIFA, whoever) sanctions the athlete, and Spain does what?
          Without risking disproportionate damage or cost, they cannot really do much but
          protest loudly.

Comment

Originally posted by imaginative
            As much as I dislike the new WADA rules, I do not see how this is supposed
            to work: A testing team comes by in the night, the athlete turns them away,
            WADA (IOC, IAAF, FIFA, whoever) sanctions the athlete, and Spain does what?
            Without risking disproportionate damage or cost, they cannot really do much but
            protest loudly.
            testing teams don't come by in the night !! testing teams come by in the hour that you have allocated

this is nonsene
            i deserve extra credit

Comment

The athlete can still voluntarily comply with the WADA requirement, so there's no need for anyone to be banned just because of the passage of the law. It may just be the Spanish government's way of telling WADA that they do not constitute a world dictatorship.

Comment

Originally posted by unclezadok
                The athlete can still voluntarily comply with the WADA requirement, so there's no need for anyone to be banned just because of the passage of the law. It may just be the Spanish government's way of telling WADA that they do not constitute a world dictatorship.
                the spanish got hae told nobody anything as nobody would be visited in the night anyway !!!! the only thing that has happened is people who would prefer to be tested at 6am at home no longer have that option

it's just cheap publicity seeking :x
                i deserve extra credit

Comment

Working...
                X