Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Reverse Submarine javelin throwing?

Is it just me or is this little blurb from the Daily Pennsylvanian odd. (linked on front page)

Are there any experimental/illegal javelin throwing techniques (a la flip long jumping) that are actually beneficial?

Athletes must throw the javelin overhand, never at a side-arm or submarine-style angle like the discus. They are also prohibited from turning around and facing away from the target. There are no spins, just a 30-meter runway that the athlete can only leave after the javelin lands. And it must land within a wedge of land 29 degrees wide, extending out from the end of the runway; anything else results in disqualification.

There is a thread (or threads) buried deep on the Historical forum about the "Spanish style" of javelin throwing from the mid-50s. They'd soap their hands/forearms and do a 360 at the line, delivering the javelin like a discus thrower. They were close to WR distances,but also sending spears into the crowd as I recall.

Felix Erasqin? (a Basque name as I recall)(

Comment

Here's the thread, which at the end has link to a photo-sequence from T&FN of the style

http://mb.trackandfieldnews.com/discuss ... hp?t=10047

Comment

Holy smokes. I wouldn't have thought that would have worked. (I guess it didn't if they were flying every which-way)..

Thanks for posting that Garry

Comment

Now, if they will just take the whirlies out of the shot and make it lineal like it should be.

Comment

Originally posted by Jack Slocombe
            Now, if they will just take the whirlies out of the shot and make it lineal like it should be.
            The shot goes into the stands?

Comment

Shucks, all they need is a throwing circle with a 300' radius 360 degree landing zone. Of course, there is the problem of where do the officials stand?

Comment

Re: Reverse Submarine javelin throwing?

Originally posted by BCBaroo
                Athletes must throw the javelin overhand, never at a side-arm or submarine-style angle like the discus. They are also prohibited from turning around and facing away from the target. There are no spins, just a 30-meter runway that the athlete can only leave after the javelin lands. And it must land within a wedge of land 29 degrees wide, extending out from the end of the runway; anything else results in disqualification.
                I hate to be a stickler but Id recommend that it is time to revisit the 29 degree bound and change it to something closer to 20 degrees, with grace periods and exceptions for cross windy days.
                ... nothing really ever changes my friend, new lines for old, new lines for old.

Comment

I have no idea what the proper landing sector degree should be but , imo, introducing a variable width sector for wind conditions would create a whole new set of problems. Where measured? How windy?, What direction? What if wind comes up or dies down during competition?

Comment

color me way retroactive, but don't think there should be any sector consideration. Throws should be measured just like jumps: in a straight line, no vector allowance. Farther you throw from the middle less distance you get (and no, no punt-pass-kick allowances).

Make for a helluva lot more fan-friendly sport.

Comment

Originally posted by gh
                      color me way retroactive, but don't think there should be any sector consideration. Throws should be measured just like jumps: in a straight line, no vector allowance. Farther you throw from the middle less distance you get (and no, no punt-pass-kick allowances).

An interesting concept if someone smarter than me can figure out how to measure the throws. The horizontal jumps have to land within bounds. and can be measured along a line perpendicular to the foul line within a range of about 9 feet in a standard single width pit.. Discus, shot put and hammer are measured to a center point but woud have the same problem if the rule were adapted..
                      If there are no sector limits, how do we vector a line parallel to an infinite extension of the foul line, to which the throw is to be measured perpendicularly, through an infinite number of points?.Unless, of course, some sort of triangulating laser measurement is used.
                      If measuring with tape, every throw would require manually establishing a right angle to a line perpendicular to the foul line along which the throw is measured?

Just thinking out loud. :?

Comment

Originally posted by gh

No please, I don't want it to cost us the first man over 100m.

Comment

Originally posted by lonewolf
                          Originally posted by gh

An interesting concept if someone smarter than me can figure out how to measure the throws. The horizontal jumps have to land within bounds. and can be measured along a line perpendicular to the foul line within a range of about 9 feet in a standard single width pit.. Discus, shot put and hammer are measured to a center point but woud have the same problem if the rule were adapted..
                          If there are no sector limits, how do we vector a line parallel to an infinite extension of the foul line, to which the throw is to be measured perpendicularly, through an infinite number of points?.Unless, of course, some sort of triangulating laser measurement is used.
                          If measuring with tape, every throw would require manually establishing a right angle to a line perpendicular to the foul line along which the throw is measured?

Just thinking out loud. :?
                          This manner of measurement had been in use for the javelin through 1949. It was done by putting the 0 mark of the tape at the impact point, and swinging the other end to the shortest distance to the extended foul line.

The benefit of this in the days of grass runways was that each round could move to an unused piece of turf, similar to what was often done with the discus and hammer.

Comment

Thanks, dj, I did not think of that.... as I said, "somebody smarter than me""... but it would still require a finite foul line.

Comment

I'm still trying to figure out why the javelin throwers using the discus technique put soap on their hands.

Comment

Working...
                              X