Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Who has the all time most GL wins?

just wondering since the golden league began in 1999 who has the most individual vitories??

off the top of my head I would maybe guess el gharrouj and mutola would be up there?? and maybe isinbayeva??

Re: Who has the all time most GL wins?

I would think Bekele would have to be up there...maybe even Lebedeva since she has been competing strongly the last ten years...

Comment

I'd probably say El Guerrouj but I guess Marion Jones might have been up
      there too before the annulment of some of her results.
      http://twitter.com/Trackside2011

Comment

The subject defies rationale analysis a bit in that you need to be more than good and long-lived; you also need an event that the GL people like. But I'd guess Mutola. Suspect Železný and Allen Johnson might be well up there too.

Comment

Originally posted by nevetsllim
          I'd probably say El Guerrouj but I guess Marion Jones might have been up
          there too before the annulment of some of her results.
          I think you are right. El Guerrouj has won the jackpot 4 times, or in other words, 24 GL races in those four years alone. Plus there should be a few more wins in addition to that already very impressive summary.

Comment

it began in 1998 pardon me!

Comment

If you want the true beginnings, before the IAAF co-opted it, 1993–97 featured the Golden 4 (Oslo, Zürich, Brussels, Berlin), whence sprang the federation's version.

Comment

yup! but in those days they only had the chance to record 4 wins a season - otherwise michael johnson would probably be the all time leader! rome and paris werent as big as some other meets back then like laussanne and stockholm.

Comment

Well i counted 29 for El Gharrouj - out of 31 no less!! thats unbelievable, i doubt anyone else would even come close to that!

Comment

I'm guessing your research also showed that he won meet(s) every year from beginning to end of his string. Very few people in any other event would have even had the option of running. (Not saying that's wrong--his event sells--but it does make the accomplishemtn slightly less special.) (On the other hand, in terms of percent of races won, he's probably at or near the top by that rubric also)

Comment

mutola has won 21! although if we count golden 4 victories its a lot more than that!

Comment

Originally posted by gh
                        I'm guessing your research also showed that he won meet(s) every year from beginning to end of his string. Very few people in any other event would have even had the option of running. (Not saying that's wrong--his event sells--but it does make the accomplishemtn slightly less special.) (On the other hand, in terms of percent of races won, he's probably at or near the top by that rubric also)
                        yup! obviously someone who does a less promoted event may not even have had 20 golden league meets available to them in that timeframe, but its an incredible feat nonetheless!

Comment

LIXY!!!!

Comment

Working...
                          X