Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ESPN2 - You've revived me!

I'm not going to quibble about the Rawson yodaisms or high school track lappages, or Rob Stone as the resident talking head; the Tyson broadcast gets a solid B+ from me. Lots of event coverage, interviews, background info, so color me happy. It helped that the performances were great, that we had 1.5 hours, and that it was at least same-day coverage. Leslie Maxie did well with the interviews, avoiding the obvious. One thing they did especially well was to stop the WR/AR hype and just concentrate on the competition. If this is the template for future broadcasts, I'll be satisfied. I'm psyched for the USATF's in two weeks.

Re: ESPN2 - You've revived me!

amen brother. Compared to so many prior broadcasts, this one gets high marks. Maybe the talking heads read what we have to say ! And Parks was first rate.

Comment

Yes, good job ESPN. Rawson can annoying, but hey, it could be worse -- at least he doesn't make hit the 'mute' button like Dick Vitale does on college basketball broadcasts!
      "Run fast and keep turning left."

Comment

I think that last night's broadcast goes to show that you really need more than an hour to do justice to a track meet. The one hour meets are just too hurried. Had they expanded yesterday's meet to two hours, we might have seen better coverage of the field events, too. But at least they showed almost every lap of the 3000.

Comment

I fully agree, the Tyson telecast was watchable.

generally, they let the performances speak for themselves.

I'll never confuse ESPN nor NBC of being Eurosport, but at least there was some continuity to the telecast, and overall was enjoyable to watch.

Comment

Yeah it was watchable. I've been musing on what track/football analogies Rawson would come up with; never would have guessed the 800m (almost the length on 9 football fields) or 37 female sprinters to NFL wide receivers, though. If he keeps this up it may turn into somekind of cult situation.

Had an almost perfect afternoon yesterday. Five hours at an international rugby 7's competition at the Home Depot Center until it got too cold (ie under 60 here), 20 mins drive home to see rest live on TV, then decent Tyson coverage! (Best rugby result was Canada beating Australia...that is not meant to happen!)

Comment

>> Had they expanded yesterday's meet to two hours, we might have seen
              >better coverage of the field events, too. >>

Had they expanded yesterday's meet to two DAYS the field events would still have been shat upon.

Comment

Working...
              X