Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by AthleticsInBritain
    I wonder who'd win at the WCs? Russia for Gold, Ethiopia for silver. Wonder who'd get bronze?
    Whoever gets fourth (TIC).

Comment

Originally posted by EPelle
      Excellent set of stats and supportive argument, Gleason. I would like to propose the following with respect to Bowman's OT: She had a monstrous semi-final kick if I recall correctly, and was the only collegiate finalist. I think she spent herself getting to the final. She ran a seven-second (plus) personal best just two weeks before the OT, and then had to run tough in Eugene. This followed a tough xc, indoor and outdoor schedule leading up to that point.

Hopefully she'll lead more this outdoor season. ;-)
      Good points. Bowman had three weeks between NCAA finals & OT finals--similar to the break between PennR & SEC.

Gordon Pirie said that the kick in a prelim is harder than a steady, fast pace there. I hope that Bowman runs enough races in 2009 for her and us to decide which strategy is best for her.
      none

Comment

I wonder who'd win at the WCs? Russia for Gold, Ethiopia for silver. Wonder who'd get bronze?
        Kenya would probably dominate the men & Russia dominate the women, but the other places would probably be close.

4 x 1500 would be best on the 8th day IMHO.
        none

Comment

She looked extremely relaxed and calculating today in running the anchor. In control the whole way. Timed it very well.

Comment

Originally posted by marknhj
            Originally posted by gm
            4x1500 at OG/WC? That would be the end of my fandom.
            It wouldn't be the end of my fandom, but please save us from ever having to witness such a mickey mouse event at International Championships...
            I'd vote no too, having seen a couple of them. As if it's not hard enough for the fan to figure out the logic of 3¾ for one 1500, when you then do it four times, so the exchange zone keeps marching around the track? Nah.

Comment

Originally posted by EPelle
              Whoever gets fourth (TIC).
              Meow! :lol:

Comment

This was one of the best events so far and best races. 8-)
                "Sprintin' ain't easy,baby !

Comment

Originally posted by gh
                  Originally posted by marknhj
                  Originally posted by gm
                  4x1500 at OG/WC? That would be the end of my fandom.
                  It wouldn't be the end of my fandom, but please save us from ever having to witness such a mickey mouse event at International Championships...
                  I'd vote no too, having seen a couple of them. As if it's not hard enough for the fan to figure out the logic of 3¾ for one 1500, when you then do it four times, so the exchange zone keeps marching around the track? Nah.
                  Excellent points as usual. I suspect that many spectators at WCh and most spectators at OG agree, so I need to give context to my remark. Last year a posting on Trackshark asked for suggested relay additions to OG/WCh. All suggestions were events such as 4 x 200 & shuttle hurdles which would favor the U.S. My suggestion was based on these assumptions:

1. IAAF would approve only 4 x 1500 IF it approves any event because it
                  doesn't want to favor the U.S..
                  2. OG/WCh will remain at nine days.
                  3. Current rest days before finals will remain.
                  4. These are based on the WCh schedule for 2009 and one event will finish
                  before another begins for doubling:
                  A. Women can do 1500/5000
                  B. Women can do 1500/800
                  C. Men can do 400/200
                  D. 4 x 100 & 4 x 400 heats will be on the eighth day.
                  E. Both can do 400/400H.
                  This would leave only one Marathon, 400H (M&W) & 4 x 1500 (M&W) as running event finals on the eighth day, so 4 x 1500 seems to be more palatable within these parameters IMHO.
                  none

Comment

Maybe it should be 3 X 1500m instead of 4 X 1500m

Makes sense to have 1 less baton pass for longer distances.
                    Plus most countries want to take no more than 3 participants for each event.

Still I am not sure about this event but I am definately for the 4 X 800m. if not at the Olympics then at least at the Athletics world cup

Comment

Originally posted by Gleason
                      [... My suggestion was based on these assumptions:.......
                      All assumptions are trumped by this reality: having a woodie for relays is a particularly American phenomenon. The rest of the world has essential zero interest in such. Repeat after me: will-never-happen.

And even if there was a desire for more Olympic (as opposed to WC) relays, the IOC would say no. We're in an ongoing state of grace in these days of capped particpation numbers that they haven't mandated we go the way of swimming and only get two performers per event instead of three. To add a new event which brings in bodies in multiplicity is a complete non-starter.

Comment

Originally posted by gh
                        All assumptions are trumped by this reality: having a woodie for relays is a particularly American phenomenon. The rest of the world has essential zero interest in such. Repeat after me: will-never-happen. ...
                        There is also the one-off Swedish Relay held once a year at DN Galan.

Comment

I find relays exciting only so long as there's real competition involved and it's a proper race. I remember watching Coe et al attempting an effective solo run to break the 4x800 WR in the 80s (and I think they did) but as it was effectively a solo run it was as dull as ditchwater to watch.

Another example is that I rarely find the men's 4x400m relay interesting (no offence guys) because it's usually the US miles ahead of everyone else. I suspect if I was American I'd have a different attitude! :lol: But I love watching the women's 4x400m at the moment because you have the USA and Russia neck and neck, plus Jamaica (and of course us Brits on the edge) and it's a real contest where you're not sure who's going to win when all the teams are on the startline.

Comment

Working...
                          X