Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

High School Boys Shot Put NR (soph class)

Collapse

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• High School Boys Shot Put NR (soph class)

Nick Vena threw over 22 meters today to win the Penn Relays and set a national Soph class record on the process. Results not yet posetd.

Yeah, but it was a narrow escape! :-)

1 Nicholas Vena Morristown (Morristown, NJ) 22.01 (72-2.5)
    2 Wes Lavong Methacton (Norristown, PA) 18.89 (61-11.75)

Comment

21.22, 21.48 =PR, 21.25, 22.01, f, f

Comment

69-7½, 70-5¾, 69-8¾, 72-2½, f, f

Comment

Dyestat video of his throws and an interview now posted to the front page.

Comment

This must be a great year for shot as well as HJ. There is a soph from Oregon who just threw 67'.

Comment

Ryan Crouser (Oregon high school sophomore) went 65' 10 1/4". He hasn't reached 67', yet. He's a big kid and I think he will go that far and more.

Comment

Soph over 72' is incredible, and a southpaw at that, a real boon to those lefty shotput manufactures. I remember back to 1957 when Jim Smith of LB Poly became the first southpaw junior. to throw over 60'. Of course, the next year, 1958, Dallas Long obliterated the HS record by 5' when he threw 69' and later, still as a prep, threw the 16lb shot 61' which broke the NCAA record of 60' 6" set the same day by Dave Davis from USC.

Here's a question.......Will Vena exceed Carters record? I predict he will do a Bookout.

Comment

Originally posted by Jack Slocombe
                  Soph over 72' is incredible, and a southpaw at that, a real boon to those lefty shotput manufactures. I remember back to 1957 when Jim Smith of LB Poly became the first southpaw junior. to throw over 60'. Of course, the next year, 1958, Dallas Long obliterated the HS record by 5' when he threw 69' and later, still as a prep, threw the 16lb shot 61' which broke the NCAA record of 60' 6" set the same day by Dave Davis from USC.

Here's a question.......Will Vena exceed Carters record? I predict he will do a Bookout.
                  What does it mean to "do a Bookout"? Does that mean he leveled off rather than continue to improve?

Comment

Yep. He's got 9 feet more to go to catch Carter. As well as get stronger, he must get faster and his form looks pretty good right now. Does anyone know how far he has thrown the 16lb shot. He should be well over 60'.

I really wonder if a distance around 80 feet is up against some rule of terminal velocity. Hell, Marlow could'nt reach 80' with a softball.

Comment

Anyway you cut it, '09 looks to be a banner year for prep shotputters.

HS SHOT (12lb/5.44kg)
                      81-3.50 Mike Carter (Jefferson, Dallas, Texas) 79
                      76-2 Brent Noon (Fallbrook, California) 90
                      74-10.50 Arnold Campbell (Airline, Bossier City, Louisiana) 84
                      72-8 Charles Moye (Ellet, Akron, Ohio) 87
                      72-3.25 Sam Walker (Samuell, Dallas, Texas) 68
                      72-2.5 **Nicholas Vena Morristown (Morristown, NJ) 09
                      72-2 1/4 Hayden Baillio (Whitesboro, Texas) 09
                      71-11i Jesse Stuart (Glasgow, Kentucky) 70
                      71-10 *Van Mounts (Bakersfield, California) 97
                      71-3 3/4 Mason Finley (Buena Vista, Colorado) 09
                      71-2 Roger Roesler (Round Rock, Texas) 96
                      71-1.50 *Kevin Bookout (Stroud, Oklahoma) 01
                      71-0 1/2i Stephen Saenz (Rio Grande City, Texas) 09
                      70-11 Doug Lane (Jefferson, Cedar Rapids, Iowa) 68

INTERNATIONAL SHOT (16lb/7.26kg)
                      67-9 Mike Carter (Jefferson, Dallas, Texas) 79
                      63-8 Arnold Campbell (Airline, Bossier City, Louisiana) 84
                      61-1.25 Sam Walker (Samuell, Dallas, Texas) 68
                      61-0.50 Dallas Long (North, Phoenix, Arizona) 58
                      60-10 Jesse Stuart (Glasgow, Kentucky) 70

Comment

I really wonder if a distance around 80 feet is up against some rule of terminal velocity. Hell, Marlow could'nt reach 80' with a softball.
                        That's not a joke by the way. I can still put a 12# shot 40', but I can't put a softball 80'! The arm is not made to get great speed in a putting motion (mind you, it was the glide, not the spin).

Comment

Bookout was distracted by other sports. Does Vena do other sports?

Comment

Originally posted by Marlow
                            That's not a joke by the way. I can still put a 12# shot 40', but I can't put a softball 80'! The arm is not made to get great speed in a putting motion (mind you, it was the glide, not the spin).
                            but Carter did it with a glide!
                            ... nothing really ever changes my friend, new lines for old, new lines for old.

Comment

wes lavong, who was 2nd in the shot has a brother who won the long jump at penn...

wet does discus too and is national class..

the brother does long and triple jumps..

same mother and dad produce such different body type sons...

too bad the shot was not inside the stadium though...it's on an outside field

Comment

Working...
                              X