Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jelmini =HSR in discus, now HSR plus #2 shot

In San Diego Anna Jelmini tied Suzy Powell's Nat'l Record of 188'4". Too bad she couldn't squeeze out another inch! Amazing to tie at such a lofty distance...

http://www.dyestatcal.com/?pg=dyestatca ... c765cb0229

[headline changed by mods to reflect the big news from 3 weeks later, which creates "edited" note]

And, of course, I drifted in for the invitational throw portion . Where the winner didn't quite make that mark. Actually, since there was no PA, I couldn't really hear the marks when they were read from the tape. For the invitational portion, the longest mark only, in qualifying and final was measured, so, no series per se. I will be up there tomorrow again.

Side bar: this is the first time at UCSD, and the field still looks like it could no "contain" a really long throw (as in Suzy Powell's '02 69.44). The field seems to slope down a bit at what would be about 65m or so, and then kinda falls off the face of the earth (big drop to canyon, I think).

The wind this afternoon did seem to be the dog wind, pretty brisk and quartering perfectly. Assuming that the thrower is of the right hand persuasion.

Comment

Actually, I did see Jimini's throw. She was in the invitational group, which I saw. The problem was, no program/heat sheet available on Friday (available today), no announcing at the long/heavy throws site except the referee calling the throwers 1st names, and there were 3 Anna's (or variations) in the competition.

The interesting thing is that Anna may well have the longest HS DT ever, as her metric was 57.41. When Powell set the record, the measurements were to even centimeters, so Powell's mark was at least 57.41, but could have been less than Anna's. Where is Bob Sparks when we need him on the probablilities of the throw distance?

Oh, today, Anna extended her HS leader in the SP as well. The announcer called it the be best single meet throws double, but I imagine that the HT may have been overlooked. Not that it is relevant, but some of the Arizona State women did the SP/DT/HT trifecta, and it is possible that they didn't wait until college to try the HT.

Comment

Mike: thanks for your post; it is representative of what makes this a great board.

Comment

Originally posted by mike renfro
          The interesting thing is that Anna may well have the longest HS DT ever, as her metric was 57.41. When Powell set the record, the measurements were to even centimeters, so Powell's mark was at least 57.41, but could have been less than Anna's. Where is Bob Sparks when we need him on the probablilities of the throw distance?.....
          On the other hand, it's also possible that Powell's mark was only measured in English, so conversion to metric is all we really have.

Comment

Actually, here's another wrinkle: Powell has the longest HS DT ever, 189-7. That was at Modesto in '94, I think the week before her HSR.

She was throwing in the open section and it was a foul...... but! It was a foul by the international rules but was legal with the wider HS sector (are the sectors still different?). We listed it as the HSR for a while, but eventually decided against it I see. I can't really recall all the decision-making process this far down the line.

Comment

Quiz time. Jelmini is the 2nd athlete from Shafter (CA) HS to set a national T&F record. Who was the 1st?

Comment

yikes.... I'm drawing a blank.

Comment

Jesse Bradford, in 1957, in the 180 low hurdles.

Comment

No wonder gh drew a blank. 50+ year old record in an event that's no longer contested.

Comment

and, I hasten to point out: even though I'm older than dirt, it's an event I never-ever saw even run! (slight cheat: I did see 180H on the turn, but never a straight race like Bradford's) (come to think of it, I never saw a 220 straight either, flat or hurdles)

Comment

oh yeah, almost forgot why I resurrected this thread: Jelmini apparently now at 54-8 in the shot, No. 2 performance ever, just 2¾" behind Michelle Carter's NR.

Comment

Originally posted by gh
                          . . . but never a straight race like Bradford's) (come to think of it, I never saw a 220 straight either . . .
                          Neither have I, but our high school track, built in 1958, was set up for it.

Comment

Ahhh.... high school officiating.... on an official remeasure with a steel tape she's down to 54-4¾. She's still No. 2 ever, but how can a steel measure be shorter than a cloth? If the tape stretches, the measure gets less, not more! (Never understood the need for a steel measure in the first place)

Comment

Originally posted by gh
                              If the tape stretches, the measure gets less, not more! (Never understood the need for a steel measure in the first place)
                              You just 'splained why - cloth tapes stretch and you get a too-short measurement.

Comment

Working...
                              X