Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Jelmini =HSR in discus, now HSR plus #2 shot

Collapse

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #16
    Yes, but that's conservative. Using a cloth tape should never give you a reading that is longer than the actual distance. So what's the harm in using it?

    Comment


    • #17
      Originally posted by tandfman
      So what's the harm in using it?
      I'm sorry, but you're going to have to surrender your Statguy Card to the proper authorities. The 'harm' is that it may well be WRONG!!!

      Comment


      • #18
        But it's required only for records. The harm there is only in one direction. You don't want to give an athlete credit for a record when he/she didn't really jump or throw that far.

        Comment


        • #19
          Originally posted by tandfman
          But it's required only for records.
          Require, reschmire - don't you want the right distance EVERY time?!

          Comment


          • #20
            190'3" today too according to dyestatcal! Incredible double.

            Comment


            • #21
              Originally posted by Marlow
              Originally posted by tandfman
              But it's required only for records.
              Require, reschmire - don't you want the right distance EVERY time?!
              Sure. But I'm not willing to buy expensive steel tapes to replace all the cheap cloth ones used in HS meets all over the country, are you?

              Comment


              • #22
                Originally posted by Marlow
                Originally posted by tandfman
                But it's required only for records.
                Require, reschmire - don't you want the right distance EVERY time?!
                Someone should not lose the record because they only used a non-metal tape that stretched and gave them a shorter mark than they really achieved. It might not be good procedure, but it should not invalidate a record.

                Comment


                • #23
                  Originally posted by Marlow
                  Originally posted by tandfman
                  So what's the harm in using it?
                  I'm sorry, but you're going to have to surrender your Statguy Card to the proper authorities. The 'harm' is that it may well be WRONG!!!
                  By this logic you'd reject the record if the shot weighed a pound heavy. because it was the wrong weight.

                  Real Statguys understand that you don't reject marks that don't provide advantage.

                  Comment


                  • #24
                    see story on front page with all the data available at bedtime.

                    Comment


                    • #25
                      So now the question is:
                      Is she the greatest T&F athlete in US high school history? I think she might be...
                      190-03 Nat'l Record
                      54-04.75 - #2 all time

                      As stated by Dyestat:

                      "No other high school athlete ranks as high as #2 in TWO different 'highly common' events."

                      If she breaks the shot record can there be ANY doubt?

                      Congratulations to her and her coach.

                      Imagine how many internet servers would explode if Hasay ran the #1 time in the 1600 and the #2 time in the 3200... Let's give this thrower her due respect!

                      Comment


                      • #26
                        Originally posted by balzonia
                        So now the question is:
                        Is she the greatest T&F athlete in US high school history? I think she might be...
                        190-03 Nat'l Record
                        54-04.75 - #2 all time

                        As stated by Dyestat:

                        "No other high school athlete ranks as high as #2 in TWO different 'highly common' events."

                        If she breaks the shot record can there be ANY doubt?

                        Congratulations to her and her coach.

                        Imagine how many internet servers would explode if Hasay ran the #1 time in the 1600 and the #2 time in the 3200... Let's give this thrower her due respect!
                        Doesn't she have those time (9:51 is #2? and is it # 1 in a HS comp), and her 1500s at the Trials are pretty far up there; you do not have to use the 1600 version.

                        Comment


                        • #27
                          Being good in two events doesn't magically transform someone into the greatest. There are many (many-many) HS athletes who still rate far above her. What an incredible piece of overblown hyperbole!

                          Comment


                          • #28
                            Originally posted by gh
                            Being good in two events doesn't magically transform someone into the greatest. There are many (many-many) HS athletes who still rate far above her. What an incredible piece of overblown hyperbole!
                            Hyberbole?!

                            It's not just hyberbole... it's a Beamonesque scar on an overstatement on a overblown rumor of a 9.60 hand timed Texas high school sprinter's no-wind-indicated world record covered in Michael Carter's last throw at GW topped with that Alaskan kids 9 miles uphill in the snow in under 2 minutes with a sprinkle of Webb and a side of Gabe for luck.

                            Well, actually, she's a stud and it's exciting that she's improved so much. Best high school athlete ever? No.
                            Best high school girls thrower? Yup.

                            Comment


                            • #29
                              Also safe to say single greatest one day throws double in HS regardless of Gender. In fact probably single greatest any one day double in HS. Can any one think of a better one?

                              Comment


                              • #30
                                Originally posted by gh
                                Being good in two events doesn't magically transform someone into the greatest. There are many (many-many) HS athletes who still rate far above her. What an incredible piece of overblown hyperbole!
                                With all due respect she isn't "good" in two events...

                                She is the best ever in the history of USA HS athletics in one event and #2 in another. How many others are even in the top ten of two different events? (I hope the stat guys can answer that for me? I am actually curious...)

                                When you demean the best performance in history to "good" that illustrates some bias against the discipline... it is patronizing.

                                Additionally, the Shot and Discus are often lumped together as "similar events" and therefore discounted when someone is "good" in both. They are as similar as the Long Jump and the High Jump. These disciplines are much more different than, say, the 100 and 200 or 1600 and 3200.

                                It is disappointing and borderline offensive when the Bible of the Sport refers to a national record performance and a #2 national performance as "good."

                                (edited to clarify last paragraph)

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X