Collapse

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Please fill me in if I've missed something, but other than having a Nike affiliation, what has Evan Jager done to warrant anchoring this relay? Were none of the 30-odd guys who ran faster over 1500m in the last year not willing to anchor their national team at Penn Relays?

Not a knock directly on the guy, though I know it will be interpreted as such -- just seems like cronyism from the sidelines here.

Comment

Originally posted by KevinM
      Please fill me in if I've missed something, but other than having a Nike affiliation, what has Evan Jager done to warrant anchoring this relay? Were none of the 30-odd guys who ran faster over 1500m in the last year not willing to anchor their national team at Penn Relays?

Not a knock directly on the guy, though I know it will be interpreted as such -- just seems like cronyism from the sidelines here.
      Given where we are in the season with those who ran fast indoors in a bit of a training phase and with the top college runners already busy how many people do you think you can get that are going to run a lot under 3:58, which is about what Jager did last week? (note Manzano, Smith and Lomong are already in this race, take out ALL of the collegiate runners and those that are on other parts of the circuit (Drake) this weekend or last week or next week and there is not a large pool of people that are going to go much faster (i.e., 3:55 or better).

Comment

USA RED men tore that tail up. Dix was awesome. As expected Powell pulls up !...

Comment

USA RED WOMEN...Jamaica's Fraser had no chance at USA's Jeter....wow Jeter blasted that anchor...USA win's in world leader

Comment

Originally posted by lilwayne1814
            As expected Powell pulls up !...

Yep - nothing worse than straining your pride. Expect 4-6 weeks rehab.
            There are no strings on me

Comment

women's 4x1

RESULTS

PL SCHOOL/AFFILIATION MARK ATHLETES ID
              1 USA Red 42.40 Lauryn Williams, Allyson Felix, Mechelle Lewis, Carmelita Jeter USA-r
              2 Jamaica 42.77 Brigette Foster-Hylton, Sheri-Ann Brooks, Kerron Stewart, Shelly-Ann Fraser JAM
              3 Bahamas 43.64 Shakeitha Henfield, Chandra Sturrup, Christine Amertil, Debbie Ferguson McKenzie BAH
              4 USA Blue 43.74 Juanita Broaddus, Shalonda Solomon, Rachelle Smith, LaShauntea Moore USA-b
              5 Nigeria 44.44 Jessica Ohanaja, Amaka Ogoegbulam, Halimat Ismaila, Oludamola Osayomi NGR
              6 St. Kitts and Nevis 44.52 Tanika Liburd, Meritzer Williams, Sheriffa Whyte, Virgil Hodge SKN
              7 Germany 44.73 Johanna Kedzierski, Verena Sailer, Maike Dix, Marion Wagner GER

Comment

men's 4x1

1 USA Blue 37.92 Walter Dix, Travis Padgett, Shawn Crawford, Darvis Patton USA-b
                2 USA Red 38.36 Terrence Trammell, Mark Jelks, Ivory Williams, Mike Rodgers USA-r
                3 Trinidad & Tobago 38.37 Aaron Armstrong, Marc Burns, Emanuel Callender, Richard Thompson TRI
                4 Canada Red 38.85 Hank Palmer, Anson Henry, Jared Connaughton, Brian Barnett CAN-r
                5 Canada Black 39.26 Samuel Effah, Richard Abu-Bobie, Oluseyi Smith, Charles Allen CAN-b
                6 Bahamas 39.79 Shamar Sands, Adrian Griffith, Rodney Greene, Jamial Rolle BAH
                7 Germany 39.81 Stefan Schwab, Tobias Unger, Alexander Kosenkow, Sebastian Ernst GER
                8 Great Britain 39.84 Andy Turner, Tyrone Edgar, Rikki Fifton, Simone Williamson GBR
                9 Jamaica 41.24 Dwight Thomas, Michael Frater, Nesta Carter, Asafa Powell JAM

Comment

I did not see the race, can someone say (without the sarcasm) exactly what happened to Asafa?
                  Regards,
                  toyracer

Comment

Originally posted by toyracer
                    I did not see the race, can someone say (without the sarcasm) exactly what happened to Asafa?

Sure - as soon as he saw there was no catching up on anchor he did the worst acting job this side of David Caruso .

Ok, maybe a little sarcasm. But true. He jogged in.
                    There are no strings on me

Comment

Dix scratch was awesome and gave the US a good lead. Jamaica cut into that lead on legs 2 and 3. The US had a slight lead going into the anchor leg and it appeared that when Powell put the pedal to the metal and saw he had no shot at Patton, he started his pull up and limped to the finish.

Comment

liwayne1814, did Asafa actually limp? Or are you using that expression to mean that he slowed? I ask because, while others like to make fun, I have a genuine concern about an injury to Asafa.

Much congratulations to USA Blue on the win and the new meet record. As I mentioned before, they were definite favorites IMHO.
                        Regards,
                        toyracer

Comment

Dix looked as though he's really been working hard and probably even incorporated better nutrition as he looked as lean/muscular as I've ever seen him...probably 10-12 pounds lighter than in the past.

Comment

liwayne1814, did Asafa actually limp? Or are you using that expression to mean that he slowed? I ask because, while others like to make fun, I have a genuine concern about an injury to Asafa.

Much congratulations to USA Blue on the win and the new meet record. As I mentioned before, they were definite favorites IMHO.
                            No, seriously he started to limp but it was the kind that did not appear as an injury. He did not stop or crumble to the track. It would remind you of a street race with your friends and you know you are the favorite but when one of your friends surprise you , you start to hobble as an excuse. I like Powell so I am not being sarcastic.

Comment

Originally posted by 26mi235
                              Originally posted by KevinM

Given where we are in the season with those who ran fast indoors in a bit of a training phase and with the top college runners already busy how many people do you think you can get that are going to run a lot under 3:58, which is about what Jager did last week? (note Manzano, Smith and Lomong are already in this race, take out ALL of the collegiate runners and those that are on other parts of the circuit (Drake) this weekend or last week or next week and there is not a large pool of people that are going to go much faster (i.e., 3:55 or better).
                              Why not at least flip-flop Manzano and Jager?

Comment

Thank you lilwayne1814. It seems that the report of an ankle injury in training may indeed be authentic. That being said, I do wonder why he ran the event at all, having reportedly being concerned and intending to pull out. He definitely does not need another injury setback. He has run from behind before in relays and give great effort (WC '07) and that's why I am concerned about injury in this race.

Thanks to everyone for the reports, I will try to find the video online (flotrack does not have it yet).

edit: ps. I have just received an email from a very credible source that Asafa pulled up because of his ankle. Again, I hope that it is not too serious.
                                Regards,
                                toyracer

Comment

Working...
                                X