"The Man Behind The Penn Relays"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "The Man Behind The Penn Relays"

I hope y'all have noticed the story posted to the front page yesterday (and now bumped back to the top today) about Penn's head dude, Dave Johnson, who is, of course, our very own "dj" here. (He's also T&FN's dj, but that's another story I might even share with you later.)

He is also my dj.

Comment

Enjoyed getting to know more about dj. Great article about a fine gentleman and great booster of TnF with very few equals.

Comment

on an aside, bob hersh has retired, and he was sorely missed at penn this year...

you cvan't ever replace an ultimate pro and you don't know how excellent he is until you have to suffer through who was there this year..

perhaps GH could make a trip east...

lots of good retaurants in the neighborhood to seduce him

Comment

Somehow, I don't think Garry would be willing to sit through 150K HS 4x4 relays, each slower than the last. An exageratlon, but not by that much. The meet is fun, if you can swing it, every track fan (field.... not so much) ought do it once, but for me, once was plenty. We had a good time, contributed a bit on the split crew (they didn't trust us with the Jamacian elite teams ) and met some people who we knew by name only. Also, ran into old friends who we hadn't seen in awhile. The restaurants in Philly are okay, but they don't have their own Zagat for a reason. Hell, even San Diego has one now.

There is so much announcing to be done at Penn, the commish last year probably did about 1/3 of it. The elite stuff mostly. The lesser HS competitions were handled (I thought compently) by others. Yes, Bob will be missed, but he has been doing this for a looooong time, and as a true professional, the preparation had to be enormous. It's not as if we won't have his wisdom to tap into. He has retired from announcing, not the sport.

Comment

actually the 4X4 heats get faster until you get to the local area heats...

it;s the big races where bob hersh is missed...

burt ritchie is a nice guy, rabid fan, done t&f news tours, but it's a rookie afer a hall of famer...

rumor had it the domican party was the one to go to this year...

it's the parties you need to know about

Comment

I did enjoy that story on dj very much; thanks for the link.

Comment

Originally posted by kuha
                I did enjoy that story on dj very much; thanks for the link.

Comment

Originally posted by mike renfro
                  There is so much announcing to be done at Penn, the commish last year probably did about 1/3 of it. The elite stuff mostly. The lesser HS competitions were handled (I thought compently) by others. Yes, Bob will be missed, but he has been doing this for a looooong time, and as a true professional, the preparation had to be enormous. It's not as if we won't have his wisdom to tap into. He has retired from announcing, not the sport.
                  I thank you and az2004 for your kind comments.

You are quite right--I've retired from announcing, but certainly not from the sport. In fact, one of the many reasons why I decided to stop announcing was that I am busier than ever these days doing other things in the sport that involve work, travel, the substantial commitment of time, and in some cases obligations that would conflict with announcing assignments. After more than 35 years of announcing, I decided that this was the right time to stop.

Comment

[quote=Bob H]
                    Originally posted by "mike renfro":27zf7xmd
                    I thank you and az2004 for your kind comments.

You are quite right--I've retired from announcing, but certainly not from the sport. In fact, one of the many reasons why I decided to stop announcing was that I am busier than ever these days doing other things in the sport that involve work, travel, the substantial commitment of time, and in some cases obligations that would conflict with announcing assignments. After more than 35 years of announcing, I decided that this was the right time to stop.[/quote:27zf7xmd]

We'll miss ya, Commish

Comment

Originally posted by az2004
                      on an aside, bob hersh has retired, and he was sorely missed at penn this year...

you cvan't ever replace an ultimate pro and you don't know how excellent he is until you have to suffer through who was there this year..

Wasn't that Dr. Z doing PA? If so, not a bad guy to take our Bob H's place.

Comment

Dr. Z was not one of the announcers at the Penn Relays.

Comment

Who were the announcers?

Comment

Originally posted by az2004

Bob H retired from announcing? Wow!!! I always enjoy'd listening to him @ the various meets he's announced.

I'm sure his vacation from the announcing booth is not a vacation of the sport itself.

Comment

1st time i recall mr hersh was 1980 phony track meet at franklin field for the 1980 olympic team...

heard him many times afterward..

like all hall of famers... tough to fill his shoes

Comment

Working...
                              X