Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Lolo At Drake

Collapse

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #16
    I note from the story now posted to front page that she was hurting significantly before the race. Hindsight is always 100%, but sure seems like she made the wrong decision in the face of overwhelming evidence.

    Comment


    • #17
      Originally posted by gh
      Originally posted by jazzcyclist
      [.... there was never any chance of Pre running for a podium position and not the gold medal in the 1972 5000 final.
      Say what?

      Pre was the consensus favorite in T&FN's Olympic Preview.

      And lest you think that was a parochial pick, here were the medal choices of the three European of the six members of the panel:

      Roberto Quercetani of Italy: Pre, Jipcho, Viren
      Mel Watman of England: Stewart, Pre, McCafferty
      Jan Popper of Czechoslovakia: Bedford, Pre, Yifter

      (U.S.: Bert Nelson had it Pre-Viren-Stewart, Cordner Nelson Pre-Viren-Puttemans and Dick Drake Viren-Stewart-Prefontaine)

      Note that Pre was also the only guy to get podium mention from all 6 panelists.
      I agree. IF my memory is correct, in an interview with Pre in T&FN about six months before Munich, he said that he wanted to run the first two miles in 8:26, but in the final he ran 8:56. Pre didn't take a chance to run an OG record, but Lolo did.
      none

      Comment


      • #18
        Originally posted by gh
        Originally posted by jazzcyclist
        [.... there was never any chance of Pre running for a podium position and not the gold medal in the 1972 5000 final.
        Say what?

        Pre was the consensus favorite in T&FN's Olympic Preview.

        And lest you think that was a parochial pick, here were the medal choices of the three European of the six members of the panel:

        Roberto Quercetani of Italy: Pre, Jipcho, Viren
        Mel Watman of England: Stewart, Pre, McCafferty
        Jan Popper of Czechoslovakia: Bedford, Pre, Yifter

        (U.S.: Bert Nelson had it Pre-Viren-Stewart, Cordner Nelson Pre-Viren-Puttemans and Dick Drake Viren-Stewart-Prefontaine)

        Note that Pre was also the only guy to get podium mention from all 6 panelists.
        My analogy may have been flawed but you get my point.

        Comment


        • #19
          Originally posted by guru
          Originally posted by jazzcyclist
          But Lolo is the type of person that would have spent a lot of time second-guessing herself if she had chosen not to run in light of the red carpet treatment that Des Moines gave her this week. Similarly, if she had chosen to run conservatively in Beijing, the thought of not getting the Olympic record would have forever haunted her.
          How, exactly, do you run "conservatively" in the 100m Hurdles? :?
          Unlike the 100, the 100/110 hurdles are not run all-out, and you know that. Lolo has talked about it herself - those split second decisions you have to make during a race on whether or not you should back off a little bit if the hurdles start coming up too fast for you to negotiate.

          Originally posted by guru
          And I doubt very seriously if she had won gold, and missed out on any records in the process, she would have been "haunted" by that.
          I'll guarantee you that if she hadn't run pedal-to-the-metal she would have. After what she did at the Olympic trials, she felt like the OR was within reach.

          Originally posted by guru
          Look, there is a big difference between a chance event like what happened in Beijing, and running on a bad leg in cold, wet conditions in April. I appreciate that she is a quality person trying to make her hometown fans happy, but at some point you have to weigh the risks and benefits. It is, after all, your livelihood.

          To compare the results of her decision here to what happened in her Beijing final is, with all due respect, ridiculous.
          I agree with you that there's no comparison between the stakes in the Olympics and the stakes at Drake, but all I'm doing is telling you what her mindset is. Did you hear her interview on ESPN2 today? I'm just repeating what she said.

          By the way, did anyone notice that the first person out on the track to aid her was fellow Roosevelt High and LSU alumnus Kim Carson? She also rode on the cart with her when she was being taken away. It's good to see former Lady Tigers looking out for each other.

          Comment


          • #20
            I am sure that if Lolo had shown up, given a chat over the PA and explained the situation, the fans would have been understanding.

            Now they feel worse than she does.

            If Lolo were Jewish, she would be in good shape, because she has built up a ton of guilt points.

            But somehow I don't think that is the case.

            I feel badly for Lolo and Des Moines.
            "Who's Kidding Who?"

            Comment


            • #21
              Originally posted by mrbowie
              I am sure that if Lolo had shown up, given a chat over the PA and explained the situation, the fans would have been understanding.

              Now they feel worse than she does.

              If Lolo were Jewish, she would be in good shape, because she has built up a ton of guilt points.

              But somehow I don't think that is the case.


              I feel badly for Lolo and Des Moines.
              :?

              LMBO :lol:
              The fool has said...there is no God. Psa 14

              Comment


              • #22
                Originally posted by mrbowie
                If Lolo were Jewish, she would be in good shape, because she has built up a ton of guilt points.
                That's one way to kill a thread. Where do you think you are, letsrun? This is the "country club" of track & field message boards. :P

                Comment


                • #23
                  I think she is pretty.

                  I hope her leg isn't all fucked up. That sucks.

                  Comment


                  • #24
                    Originally posted by jazzcyclist
                    Where do you think you are, letsrun? This is the "country club" of track & field message boards. :P
                    Maybe I've always had the wrong image of these "country clubs" then?

                    Comment


                    • #25
                      Originally posted by jazzcyclist
                      Originally posted by guru
                      Originally posted by jazzcyclist
                      But Lolo is the type of person that would have spent a lot of time second-guessing herself if she had chosen not to run in light of the red carpet treatment that Des Moines gave her this week. Similarly, if she had chosen to run conservatively in Beijing, the thought of not getting the Olympic record would have forever haunted her.
                      How, exactly, do you run "conservatively" in the 100m Hurdles? :?
                      Unlike the 100, the 100/110 hurdles are not run all-out, and you know that. Lolo has talked about it herself - those split second decisions you have to make during a race on whether or not you should back off a little bit if the hurdles start coming up too fast for you to negotiate.

                      Originally posted by guru
                      And I doubt very seriously if she had won gold, and missed out on any records in the process, she would have been "haunted" by that.
                      I'll guarantee you that if she hadn't run pedal-to-the-metal she would have. After what she did at the Olympic trials, she felt like the OR was within reach.

                      Originally posted by guru
                      Look, there is a big difference between a chance event like what happened in Beijing, and running on a bad leg in cold, wet conditions in April. I appreciate that she is a quality person trying to make her hometown fans happy, but at some point you have to weigh the risks and benefits. It is, after all, your livelihood.

                      To compare the results of her decision here to what happened in her Beijing final is, with all due respect, ridiculous.
                      I agree with you that there's no comparison between the stakes in the Olympics and the stakes at Drake, but all I'm doing is telling you what her mindset is. Did you hear her interview on ESPN2 today? I'm just repeating what she said.

                      By the way, did anyone notice that the first person out on the track to aid her was fellow Roosevelt High and LSU alumnus Kim Carson? She also rode on the cart with her when she was being taken away. It's good to see former Lady Tigers looking out for each other.
                      I did cuz she almost screw'd up an athlete's run down the triple jump runway. :evil:

                      In all seriousness, I hope Lolo heals & recovers in enough time to do what needs to be done in Berlin.

                      Comment


                      • #26
                        Originally posted by The Atheist
                        I think she is pretty.
                        She is pretty, behind the acne.

                        How come some elite athletes have such bad skin when their diets are supposed to be so good? I guess it could be genetic...

                        I hope her injury heals well and we see her back on the track soon.

                        Comment


                        • #27
                          Re: Lolo At Drake

                          Originally posted by jazzcyclist
                          Originally posted by guru
                          Why in the world would Lolo Jones run with a hamstring issue in cold, wet weather? Especially hurdles :?

                          Let's hope her minor injury is not now a major one.
                          Because, unlike Asafa Powell, she cares about her fans and really wanted to put on a show for them. Some may say that she cares too much, but that's who she is.
                          All the bad flack Asafa caught last week made him run and hurt himself this week. We as fans put too much pressure on our athletes sometimes. I feel bad for Lolo :cry:
                          Afrikan

                          Comment


                          • #28
                            Re: Lolo At Drake

                            Originally posted by Taliban
                            Originally posted by jazzcyclist
                            Originally posted by guru
                            Why in the world would Lolo Jones run with a hamstring issue in cold, wet weather? Especially hurdles :?

                            Let's hope her minor injury is not now a major one.
                            Because, unlike Asafa Powell, she cares about her fans and really wanted to put on a show for them. Some may say that she cares too much, but that's who she is.
                            All the bad flack Asafa caught last week made him run and hurt himself this week. We as fans put too much pressure on our athletes sometimes. I feel bad for Lolo :cry:

                            :?

                            Comment


                            • #29
                              Originally posted by Brettboy
                              Originally posted by The Atheist
                              I think she is pretty.
                              She is pretty, behind the acne.

                              How come some elite athletes have such bad skin when their diets are supposed to be so good? I guess it could be genetic...

                              I hope her injury heals well and we see her back on the track soon.
                              :roll:

                              Is this a baseless insinuation that is flat out unfair?

                              Me thinks so. :arrow:
                              The fool has said...there is no God. Psa 14

                              Comment


                              • #30
                                Originally posted by TrackDaddy
                                Is this a baseless insinuation that is flat out unfair?

                                Me thinks so. :arrow:
                                Then you thinks wrong.

                                I'm genuinely interested why so many elite athletes have bad skin.

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X