Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Brettboy
    She is pretty, behind the acne.

How come some elite athletes have such bad skin when their diets are supposed to be so good? I guess it could be genetic...

In an ideal world it would be great to hear an occasional comment on this board from an athlete when a thread is civil, and addresses a specific issue such as training, performance, etc. Nevertheless, an off-topic and "catty" comment like that is one of the reasons many avoid this place like the plague.

Comment

I think athletes are not only there to run fast but to also be a good example to fans. In the few interviews I've seen her do here in the UK, Lolo has been very charismatic and doing just that. But as a fan I am entitled to ask certain questions too. I'm not interested in her personal life, nor am I accusing Lolo of taking steroids. But unfortunately 'Joe Public' sees an athlete with acne and does.

So, can someone explain why mature, elite athletes, who have great diets have acne?

Comment

I think athletes are not only there to run fast but to also be a good example to fans. In the few interviews I've seen her do here in the UK, Lolo has been very charismatic and doing just that. But as a fan I am entitled to ask certain questions too. I'm not interested in her personal life, nor am I accusing Lolo of taking steroids. But unfortunately 'Joe Public' sees an athlete with acne and does.

So, can someone explain why mature, elite athletes, who have great diets have acne?
        Adult acne affects 25% of all adult men and 50% of adult women at some time in their adult lives.

http://acne.org/adultacne.html

I'm a resource for you, but there are others.
        The fool has said...there is no God. Psa 14

Comment

I don't know when you last saw Lolo up close, but her complexion today is a lot smoother than it was when she first arrived in Baton Rouge nine years ago. Back then, just like a lot of other teenagers, myself included, she did have an acne problem, but that's not the case today.

Comment

It's not just athletes. There's a reason Proactiv is a multi-million dollar product.

Relax bb

http://www.acnetalks.com/pimple/Adult-A ... istics.htm

The American Dermatologist Association finds that:

1) Out of all adults, 20 % have active acne.
            2) 60 million Americans have active acne. 20 million American citizens have acne severe enough to cause scars. Only 11 % people take the help of a physician
            There are no strings on me

Comment

nor am I accusing Lolo of taking steroids
              Yeh right.

There are several high-res candid shots of her on the web and I can hardly see any blemishes on her skin:
              http://www.iaaf.org/mm/photo/competitio ... 0xh600.jpg
              http://mi.oakley.com/a/eb/b8/BAh7CGkKIg ... GkC4IQ.jpg
              http://mi.oakley.com/a/55/84/BAh7CGkKIg ... GkC3YQ.jpg
              http://lh6.ggpht.com/_qFCZqJ2s1Tk/SHQFi ... I/LoLo.jpg

A tiny occasional spot or freckle, but I'd seriously doubt a dermatologist would diagnose her with having acne - which, in case you need reminding, is more like this:
              http://www.dermatology.svhm.org.au/Prim ... ne%201.jpg

Comment

.......nor am I accusing Lolo of taking steroids. But unfortunately 'Joe Public' sees an athlete with acne and does.
                When you can show me a properly researched piece of work that equates steroids with bad skin, then I'll be willing to pay attention to:

Comment

Originally posted by Jon
                  Yeh right.
                  but I'd seriously doubt a dermatologist would diagnose her with having acne
                  May be he is thinking of someone else? Hard to imagine what he's looking at to elicit such comments.

Comment

Originally posted by Daisy
                    Originally posted by Jon
                    Yeh right.
                    but I'd seriously doubt a dermatologist would diagnose her with having acne
                    May be he is thinking of someone else? Hard to imagine what he's looking at to elicit such comments.
                    He can't possibly have seen her up close in the last few years. By the way, have you ever seen Jessica Simpson's teenage photos?

Comment

I don't know what Brettboy is getting at but having seen numerous recent close up pics of Lolo and seeing her close up in person as recently as the 2008 OT, I wish my 7.8 decade old face were as unblemished as hers.

Comment

Pimples aside, is there any word yet on the severity of her injury?

Comment

She said the injury will knock her out of a meeting scheduled for May 2 in Jamaica, but is unsure of her status beyond that.

Jones said she’ll return today to Baton Rouge, La., where she lives for X-rays.

“It's a slight tear — it's not an all-out injury, I think, where I'll be out for months or my season is over,” she said. "I can't put some pressure on it, so that's definitely good news."
                          http://www.desmoinesregister.com/articl ... 4/90425036

Comment

I was waiting for Jon to jump in with some rubbishy web photos. If you think acne is just like that extreme pic you posted then maybe you need reminding!

Her one of her post race BBC interviews this indoors season, after setting a WB, you could clearly see her cheeks were covered in acne. Not the extreme red spots that Jon has posted in his sensational pic, but a dense spread of more subtle pimples and spots, that are probably easier to hide with make-up. It reminded me of Krabbe's acne in 90/91.

Acne may affect a % of the population at some point in their lives, but it's usually in teenage years, and usually it affects boys more than girls because it's related to the male sex hormone.

At the same UK meet the women's 60m flat winner was interviewed post race too. She came from nowhere to being oen of the elite in 07. Her voice was so ridiculously low & croaky she sounded like Louis Armstrong.

I find it very depressing.

Comment

Travel from USA to foreign country where you are dependent on the hotel's fantastic chefs to cook up something special. Then you hang out in the mall, shop and bide your time. Afternoon rolls around, it's time to head to the track. Hang out, check in, race, sweat and hang out some more before you get back to the hotel. Quick shower, more of same hotel food and then call it a night.

This repeats itself a few times over until one finally gets back to their home, to their own food, to their own routines, and all the in-between stuff they miss out on whilst dashing off yonder.

Any possibility one can get dirty skin by, uh, training and sweating? Eating someone else's food because it tastes good, but doing so with ingredients you wouldn't put in your own? Being unable to shower regularly (or at your desired intervals)?

Comment

...her cheeks were covered in acne... It reminded me of Krabbe's acne in 90/91

...the women's 60m flat winner was interviewed post race too... Her voice was so ridiculously low & croaky she sounded like Louis Armstrong

I find it very depressing.
                                But of course you're not trying to accuse anyone of anything :roll:

Comment

Working...
                                X