Collapse

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Someone said that Prefontaine wasnt that good against people outside the US.We have to remember that some of the best runners in the world were in the usa during that time.

Comment

Originally posted by williamwindhamjr
      Someone said that Prefontaine wasnt that good against people outside the US.We have to remember that some of the best runners in the world were in the usa during that time.
      Off the top of my head only Shorter, Young, come to mind. Shorter was a great 10k, Marathon guy, and only tested Pre in his last race at 3m. Young ran infrequently and I don't remember him meeting Pre except in OT's. Anyway we have to remember he ruled in the US but had losses in Europe, even though he ran balls out in Europe.

Comment

williamwindhamjr wrote:
        Yeah, what jeremyp said. Not so much. In the years when Pre was listed in the top 10 World Rankings at 5k (1971 thru 1975) the only other Americans to appear on the list were Liquori, Shorter, Buerkle and Geis and each for only one year.

Comment

pre beat liquiori in the mile,at the LA TIMES meet in 3:59.

Comment

I hate how Alan Webb's initials are AW. Cuz it's like "Awwww..." like "Awwww... I lost again...

If I were him I would change my name and then I would run super fast and beat everyone and then when people asked me about "art" of racing I would be like "shut up hippies, with all this art crap. I'm going to disneyworld biaaaaa!!!"

Comment

You can't compare Pre to Liquori. Marty was world ranked #1 in the 5000, also #2 and #3. Pe was never ranked higher than 4th.

Marty also had 2 nr 1 rankings in the 1500. Ran the Mile in 3.52.2. He knew a thing or two about racing.

Surprised how rarely he is discussed considering how great he was in high school

Comment

... German does have good racing skills or did you not see the Big 12 race where he ran 3:55 and second place was 4:05 or the USA XC trials.
                Originally posted by you, on another forum
                ... Our top junior runners waste alot of time blowing away mediocre runners.German ran a 3:55 at the Big12,and second place was 4:05...
                So, does German Fernandez have good racing skills, or not? German ran 8.34 and 4.00 at the CA state meet. Did he have good racing skills then, too, or a good sense of pace?

Comment

Too soon to tell. But a good sign is that, even before he got hurt, he decided to skip a very-possible NCAA indoor title in favor of pursuing a highly-unlikely World JR XC title. He isn't afraid to get in over his head and learn something from it.

Comment

Originally posted by Per Andersen
                    You can't compare Pre to Liquori. Marty was world ranked #1 in the 5000, also #2 and #3. Pe was never ranked higher than 4th.

Marty also had 2 nr 1 rankings in the 1500. Ran the Mile in 3.52.2. He knew a thing or two about racing.

Surprised how rarely he is discussed considering how great he was in high school
                    And, of course, Liquori (and Jumbo Elliott) ALWAYS stressed "racing" skills. To my (feeble) knowledge, Liquori never once made a "record" attempt at any distance--the point was winning, period.

Comment

Pre and Marty never met when both were at the top of their game. Had they met at 5,000 I would have picked Marty. Smart racer, nifty kicker.

Comment

the best racer I have seen on the womens side certainly is Svetlana Masterkova! particularly on the 1500m she controlled races how she wanted to suit her strengths! just look at her olympic wins in atlanta, or her world championship win in seville.

after being beaten in a fast paced race by Sazbo in monaco in 1998, her next race in zurich she just ignored the fast pacer, make everyone bunch, then exploded in the last 200m to win in just under 4 minutes - she handedly turned another time trial into a race and benefitted ffrom it.

Comment

Working...
                        X