Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by EPelle
    Bolt should run faster with a tail wind. The faster the wind, the faster he will run up to a point (before he loses stride and steps). Increasing the allowable wind on a race where his reaction time has been improved WILL decrease his overall time... no question about it.

However, when one compares the value of two times -- one with a positive wind, one with a negative wind, there comes a point where the race with negative wind prevails over the one with the aiding wind in VALUE, not time.
    Agreed the calculator isnt a perfect straight line correlation though, try it yourself.

put in 9.70 try it with a +1 and a -1, one gives a 0.06 difference, one gives a 0.05 difference.

Also with the wind difference we're talking about i dont think its got to the point where it make anomaly results. I agree when we get to the point of -4 wind the calculator will start being a fair bit off, but we're not talking about that sort of wind.

edit

Comment

Suddenly I dont feel quite as bad about the time I waste.
      The fool has said...there is no God. Psa 14

Comment

The variation becomes more evident at altitude (Mexico City, for example, yields 0,10 and 0,02). The whole point of this adjustment stuff is that some fans actually care a great deal about who really is the fastest, and if an athlete ran as fast (or slower) than their finish time indicated. The Dapena-Linthorne tables in the Big Gold Book are a great place to roam free.

Comment

I'm beginning to feel like I'm one of the very few on this board who is looking forward to watching him leg it down the track and then looking to see what time is on the clock....

Comment

Originally posted by marknhj
            I'm beginning to feel like I'm one of the very few on this board who is looking forward to watching him leg it down the track and then looking to see what time is on the clock....
            What good will that do? You can't possibly appreciate it until you adjust for wind, altitude, humidity, phase of the moon, day of the week, quotidian biocycles . . . :roll:

Comment

Originally posted by Marlow
              Originally posted by marknhj
              What good will that do? You can't possibly appreciate it until you adjust for wind, altitude, humidity, phase of the moon, day of the week, quotidian biocycles . . . :roll:
              Also, the often mentioned track surface comes to the fore periodically. Gets obsessive and irritating after a while.
              If you're ever walking down the beach and you see a girl dressed in a bikini made out of seashells, and you pick her up and hold her to your ear, you can hear her scream.

Comment

[quote=TrackDaddy]
                Originally posted by bad hammy
                Originally posted by Daisy
                Originally posted by "bad hammy":2iadgi6p
                Too much ganja . . .
                This is slanderous :shock:
                Hardly. If he smoked weed I would admire him all the more. And he has already admitted he did in his misspent youth.
                That's interesting but Puma and IAAF's opinions carry a bit more weight[/quote:2iadgi6p]
                The opinions of folks who put and keep weed on the PED list don't carry much weight with me.

Comment

A Snickers is still a chocolate bar at the end of the day. I can imagine most folks just want to rip off the cover, see a chocolate bar and not care about how many times the machine swirled around to stir it or how fast the nut-chopping machine moved before the other vital ingredient was mixed with the chocolate. They're hungry, Snickers satisfies, and that should be the end of the story.

However, it's not.

http://mb.trackandfieldnews.com/discuss ... hp?t=33039

Comment

A Snickers is still a chocolate bar at the end of the day. I can imagine most folks just want to rip off the cover, see a chocolate bar and not care about how many times the machine swirled around to stir it or how fast the nut-chopping machine moved before the other vital ingredient was mixed with the chocolate. They're hungry, Snickers satisfies, and that should be the end of the story.

However, it's not.

http://mb.trackandfieldnews.com/discuss ... hp?t=33039
                    I prefer fruit. 8-)
                    If you're ever walking down the beach and you see a girl dressed in a bikini made out of seashells, and you pick her up and hold her to your ear, you can hear her scream.

Comment

Originally posted by guruof track
                      subtracting reaction time is JV stuff, any track enthusiast knows that just because you reastion time is .1 faster than another one of your reaction doesnt mean your overall time is .1 second faster.

In reality a 'reaction time' is just that the time you react to the gun in the blocks, that doesnt garentee that your start will be faster than someone with a slower reaction time, while its more likely that be the case its not true.

Second wind is an unkown variable and coupled with altitude in certain cases the wind can be neglegiable or otherwise.

Bottom line is Usain Bolt isnt running anything NEAR a 9.4 during his career (and certainly not legally wind or otherwise). People never cease to amaze me 42s and now 9.4s. Let the guy run low 9.6s first and 43something.

Never say never. Who thought he would've broken Micheal Johnson's 200m world record last year. Plus he did it wind a HEAD WIND in his face!!!

Also, who thought he would've broken his own world record in Bejings Olympics and looked easy doing it. It's also, scientifically proven that he would've ran mid 9:5 secs if he didn't shut it down with 20 to 25 meters to go. So, why 9:4 seems impossible? Track and Field hasn't seen anyone like Usain Bolt before. What he did at Olympics never happen before in the history of track and field...Olympics or World Championships.

This World Championships in Berlin is going to be one for the ages..brace yourself!!

Comment

[quote=bad hammy][quote=TrackDaddy]
                        Originally posted by "bad hammy":11bva3rl
                        Originally posted by Daisy
                        Originally posted by "bad hammy":11bva3rl
                        Too much ganja . . .
                        This is slanderous :shock:
                        Hardly. If he smoked weed I would admire him all the more. And he has already admitted he did in his misspent youth.
                        That's interesting but Puma and IAAF's opinions carry a bit more weight[/quote:11bva3rl]
                        The opinions of folks who put and keep weed on the PED list don't carry much weight with me.[/quote:11bva3rl]

The weight I was referring to was in the grand scheme related to Bolt's livelihood.

But I care what you think.
                        The fool has said...there is no God. Psa 14

Comment

Originally posted by TrackDaddy
                          But I care what you think.
                          The beginning of the revolution . . . :P

Comment

A Snickers is still a chocolate bar at the end of the day.
                            I strongly disagree. Personally, I was outraged when the Marathon bar was renamed "Snickers" in the UK some years ago. There was nothing like a good marathon bar after a hard training session. I'm told they were also excellent in satisfying munchie attacks...

Comment

Originally posted by Gordon18
                              manhe's just saying it's possible, wow, yes it's very unlikely, but why are you bringing other things in it for, just accept that it is possible, u don't have to think about it the way you are,
                              I never said it wasn't possible, and I have no problem admitting it is possible. I just didn't take his post as saying it's possible, but very unlikely. I felt it was a stronger statement than that. Also, I didn't agree with all his logic because I felt there were things being left out.

Comment

Originally posted by Sportsfanx1
                                Originally posted by guruof track
                                subtracting reaction time is JV stuff, any track enthusiast knows that just because you reastion time is .1 faster than another one of your reaction doesnt mean your overall time is .1 second faster.

In reality a 'reaction time' is just that the time you react to the gun in the blocks, that doesnt garentee that your start will be faster than someone with a slower reaction time, while its more likely that be the case its not true.

Second wind is an unkown variable and coupled with altitude in certain cases the wind can be neglegiable or otherwise.

Bottom line is Usain Bolt isnt running anything NEAR a 9.4 during his career (and certainly not legally wind or otherwise). People never cease to amaze me 42s and now 9.4s. Let the guy run low 9.6s first and 43something.

Never say never. Who thought he would've broken Micheal Johnson's 200m world record last year. Plus he did it wind a HEAD WIND in his face!!!

Also, who thought he would've broken his own world record in Bejings Olympics and looked easy doing it. It's also, scientifically proven that he would've ran mid 9:5 secs if he didn't shut it down with 20 to 25 meters to go. So, why 9:4 seems impossible? Track and Field hasn't seen anyone like Usain Bolt before. What he did at Olympics never happen before in the history of track and field...Olympics or World Championships.

This World Championships in Berlin is going to be one for the ages..brace yourself!!
                                yes and no, he wouldn't have run 9.5 in that race, still would have been 9.6

Comment

Working...
                                X