X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: using a minus sign ( -1.3m/s) in JMs calc

Originally posted by The Atheist
    His fastest reaction time so far has been 0.12 seconds

His typical reaction time is about 0.16 seconds.
    I've seen you state that a few times now and would like to know how you have drawn that conclusion.

Typical could be defined as "usual", which, for the sake of argument, could be determined after a number of observations made of Bolt and the time it takes for him to react to the firing of the gun at the start of the 100m dash. I think you'll find that he is actually closer to 0,18 than 0,16. Of his top-10 times recorded last season - with Beijing performances book-ending those marks, I have been able to locate seven with reaction times (from 0,157 to 0,22).

Bolt's average reaction time in Beijing was 0,169, or 0,17 if one rounds up/down.

With his seven known reaction times available to this point (a majority of his top-10 times), he's averaging 0,177 -- or typically reacting at 0,18 to the gun. His four reaction times in the 200m in Beijing averaged 0,180, with his 19,30 on a 0,182.

Based on the majority of his 100m races, which lack three reaction times - one (Port-of-Spain) which is stated to be in the neighbourhood of atrocious, it would be safe to assume that Bolt's typical reaction time is 0,18 seconds. If that is accepted, then the 9,77 (-1,3 m/s) becomes 9,65 basic, not 9,63.

Thus you should belooking at that race as a 9.71 into a -1.3 wind, which comes out to 9.63 basic. His fastest 100m run ever (faster than beijing, even if you take his shutting down in beijing into account).
    Beijing is assumed to have cost 0,05s, thus making his finishing time 9,64, and this Bruxelles race slower than Beijing.

Neither of these races is here or there, however.

Comment

Re: using a minus sign ( -1.3m/s) in JMs calc

Originally posted by The Atheist
      Originally posted by wineturtle
      sealevel values
      9.77w-1.3 wind JM s calc says =9.69 basic
      9.49our goaltime w+ 2.0 wind=9.58 basic
      9.69minus 9.58=0.11 increase in basic speed need to break 9.50
      Can UB run 9.58 this season?
      WWWWRRRRROOOOOONNNNNNGGGGGGG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Bolt's reaction time in his 9.77 run was 0.22 seconds.

His fastest reaction time so far has been 0.12 seconds

His typical reaction time is about 0.16 seconds.

You should shave 0.06 seconds off his 9.77 run, since his reaction time was .06 slower than usual in that race.

Thus you should belooking at that race as a 9.71 into a -1.3 wind, which comes out to 9.63 basic. His fastest 100m run ever (faster than beijing, even if you take his shutting down in beijing into account).

my take on using a calc like JMs-
      reaction is part of your basic speed- wind/alt are outside forces you do not control.

Tom Hyland:
      "squack and wineturtle get it"

Comment

Working...
      X