Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jamaican Fans at the Penn Relays

Just back from Penn. Thrilling races. Gorgeous weather. As a fan who loves watching the endless HS 4x1 and 4x4 relays as much as the elite College and Olympic calibler races, it was as good as ever.

The Jamaican fans now must number in the tens of thousands. It seems as if half the 40-50 thousand fans on Saturday were Jamaicans. The stands are a sea of yellow, green and black, the colors of the Jamaican flag, The Jamaican fans wear these flag-bearing jackets, pins and t-shirts outside and inside the stadium and they want you to notice.

The Jamaican HS's that attend have unbelievable talent (St, Jago, Calabar, Holmwood, Vere, Kingston, St Elizabeth Tech, Edwin Allen to name a few). During the HS relay finals, the cheers from the Jamaican fans for their teams are deafening. On their feet, flags waving, air-horns blasting. Same during the "USA vs the World" relay events. But If the Jamaican National team is losing or not entered in the race, the Jamaican fans immediately begin wildly rooting for any non-US team, especially if that team is Kenya.

Can you imagine this happening anywhere else on earth? Could you imagine several thousand Americans covered head to toe in the RED, WHITE and BLUE, walking through the streets of Jamaica and cheering and jumping up and down inside a Jamaican stadium at any- and- all things American and non-Jamaican? I don't think so.

Some of the behavior I've seen crosses the line from pro-Jamaican to anti-American, IMHO. The Jamaicans who plan to attend the Penn Relays should be reminded how lucky they are to be display their patriotism and loyalty so loudly in a foreign host country.

As I looked around the stadium this weekend during the roaring and screaming as one of the Jamaican HS anchors crossed the finish line to win, I smiled. These are true track fans and proud of their country. But I was proud of the University of Pennsylvania and all the Americans in attendance for the graciousness afforded these fans by the Americans in attendance

The graciousness referred to did not stretch as far as Mr Shawn Crawford widely quoted by IAAF etc, as referring to Jamaica as the ''enemy'' and using phrases like '' nobody can come here on our soil and defeat us''

The Americans have not yet recovered from the beating they took in Beijing. Its only April and we will see how good the American short sprinters are in August.

Comment

Re: Jamaican Fans at the Penn Relays

Originally posted by spikey
      Can you imagine this happening anywhere else on earth? Could you imagine several thousand Americans covered head to toe in the RED, WHITE and BLUE, walking through the streets of Jamaica and cheering and jumping up and down inside a Jamaican stadium at any- and- all things American and non-Jamaican? I don't think so.
      You've obviously never been to the Australian Open tennis. Such "old-country" behaviour is rife... and adds a lot of colour to an otherwise snore-inducing event...

I also don't think that offering support to another small country (especially one with few fans in attendance) vs the world power is necessarily explicitly anti-American... might it just be about supporting the little guy?

Comment

"The graciousness referred to did not stretch as far as Mr Shawn Crawford widely quoted by IAAF etc, as referring to Jamaica as the ''enemy'' and using phrases like '' nobody can come here on our soil and defeat us''

One man and a quote from far away is quite different from what I've described and you know it. Answer the question. Can you imagine Americans doing this in Kingston?

Comment

One man and a quote from far away is quite different from what I've described and you know it. Answer the question. Can you imagine Americans doing this in Kingston?
          Yes. Absolutely.

Comment

Originally posted by vencio2
            Yes. Absolutely.
            I don't ever remember US fans cheering anyone but their own athletes. Some obnoxiously annd not gracious to the opposition, but every country has their own share of idiots.

Comment

Interesting

But If the Jamaican National team is losing or not entered in the race, the Jamaican fans immediately begin wildly rooting for any non-US team, especially if that team is Kenya.

Comment

"The graciousness referred to did not stretch as far as Mr Shawn Crawford widely quoted by IAAF etc, as referring to Jamaica as the ''enemy'' and using phrases like '' nobody can come here on our soil and defeat us''

Are there a 100,000 Americans living in Kingston? Is track essentially as big as any other American sport?

Comment

Yes. Absolutely.
                  Yeah right.

Americans are only Patriotic IN America. They would be intimidated in Kingston.
                  Afrikan

Comment

Originally posted by Taliban
                    Yes. Absolutely.
                    Yeah right.

So says the man from Liberia.... :wink:

Comment

Originally posted by ndamix
                      Originally posted by Taliban
                      Yes. Absolutely.
                      Yeah right.

So says the man from Liberia.... :wink:
                      LOL....hey its just my $.02
                      Afrikan

Comment

Everyone seems to badmouth us, but when given the chance, they move here. I don't understand. I badmouth France, China, Russia, the middle East, All of Africa and all of South America but would never move there.

Comment

...That was my very first Penn Relays.
                          I finally fulfilled a lifelong dream of going.
                          And it was a great day for the U.S. I'm still hoarse from shouting "U-S-A"!!!!
                          I was with 2 fellow Texans, and we were surrounded by Jamaicans, They were cool...But they were cocky too! I'd never seen a crowd like that for track. I'll always love my Texas Relays. But the meet itself doesnt hold a candle to Penn. And the ladies... :shock: :twisted: I've got to get to the islands, mon!
                          Texas A&M represented my state with duo relay victories.
                          Just an awesome day for my first time in Philly.
                          We avenged some of what we lost in Beijing.
                          THE AMERICANS KICKED SOME BUTT!!! :lol:

Comment

Originally posted by Jack Slocombe
                            Everyone seems to badmouth us, but when given the chance, they move here. I don't understand. I badmouth France, China, Russia, the middle East, All of Africa and all of South America but would never move there.
                            And that's what Makes you a TRUE American.
                            Afrikan

Comment

Originally posted by scratchman
                              ...That was my very first Penn Relays.
                              I finally fulfilled a lifelong dream of going.
                              And it was a great day for the U.S. I'm still hoarse from shouting "U-S-A"!!!!
                              I was with 2 fellow Texans, and we were surrounded by Jamaicans, They were cool...But they were cocky too! I'd never seen a crowd like that for track. I'll always love my Texas Relays. But the meet itself doesnt hold a candle to Penn. And the ladies... :shock: :twisted: I've got to get to the islands, mon!
                              Texas A&M represented my state with duo relay victories.
                              Just an awesome day for my first time in Philly.
                              We avenged some of what we lost in Beijing.
                              THE AMERICANS KICKED SOME BUTT!!! :lol:
                              We need to get more of you Texas guys up for Penns. Just like we said on TS...It's better than Texas Relays.

My job was real gay and gave me this week off instead of last week so I missed Penns for the 1st time since 01.
                              Afrikan

Comment

Working...
                              X