Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wanjiru vs Geb

Looking at recent results Wanjiru 2:05:10 at London ( perfect conditions) and Gebs 2:05:29 at Dubai, is it safe to say that Gebs is more impressive because it was raining. When will they race against each other ?

Re: Wanjiru vs Geb

Originally posted by puddys12
    Looking at recent results Wanjiru 2:05:10 at London ( perfect conditions) and Gebs 2:05:29 at Dubai, is it safe to say that Gebs is more impressive because it was raining. When will they race against each other ?
    They might meet in Berlin in September. Who would win. Geb would have to break Sammy cause i think in a sprint finish the youngster wins. Can Geb break Sammy? I dont think so but i do think if they are both fit it will be very close with Sammy winning, God i would love to see this race!!!!!
    phsstt!

Comment

Lets just hope they are both healthy and show up at Berlin . Probably a world record. Thanks for the info.

Comment

The conditions in London might have been perfect, but the pacing was crap. Wanjiru did a miraculous job to hang on for a 2:05-low after a 28:30 opening 10k. Also, Geb still has not shown he can win a highly competitive marathon race. All his wins were basically time trials, and whenever he got into a battle in the last few k's, he'd end up losing. It's highly unlikely he will be able to run away with it in a race against Sammy, and so I don't think he's going to win. And Geb's not getting any younger, either - whereas Wanjiru should continue getting stronger in the next couple of years.
        Było smaszno, a jaszmije smukwijne...

Comment

Clearly you are a Wanjiur fan. Geb has 3 of the top 5 times in the marathon and you say he is not competitive . Wanjiru lost a month ago in a half marathon race and what would of happened if the defending champion Lel who beat Wanjiru last year at London was there yesterday ? Oh i am a big Wanjiru fan but what Geb has done in his career is simply amazing.

Comment

Clearly you are a Wanjiur fan.
            No, in fact if I had to choose between the two, I'd have to say I like Geb more. I certainly consider him to be the greatest overall long-distance runner of all time. I'm just trying to be rational here.

Geb has 3 of the top 5 times in the marathon and you say he is not competitive.
            Where did I say that? All I did say was that in marathon races he tended to lose whenever it was close.

what Geb has done in his career is simply amazing.
            Very true, as I stated above, but we are talking about the marathon now, not his form at all distances in the last 15 years.

Comment

Clearly you are a Wanjiur fan. Geb has 3 of the top 5 times in the marathon and you say he is not competitive . Wanjiru lost a month ago in a half marathon race and what would of happened if the defending champion Lel who beat Wanjiru last year at London was there yesterday ? Oh i am a big Wanjiru fan but what Geb has done in his career is simply amazing.
              i'm with Powell Geb is probably the greatest runner ever but at the Marathon he has never won a competetive race which is why he has turned to running time trials with little competish.

i'm not saying he couldn't as he now seems to have conquered the distance but from previous form my money would be Sammy
              i deserve extra credit

Comment

Originally posted by mump boy
                he has never won a competetive race which is why he has turned to running time trials with little competish.
                I think Geb wanted the world record and he got it. Also there was nothin stopping the other great 26ers from joining him in his record attempts.

His first 26er he got third behind the World record holder and the future record holder. He showed up in London a couple years ago and had to drop out with an injury and if he is to be believed, which i do, he felt Bejiing was a mistake for him for health reasons.

Berlin next, lets race!
                phsstt!

Comment

Originally posted by Powell
                  Also, Geb still has not shown he can win a highly competitive marathon race.
                  To be fair, when those races are held in London. Seriously, he had competition in Fukuoka and also definitely had company all the way to 35k in his Berlin '08 WR.

Comment

Originally posted by joeltetreault
                    Also, Geb still has not shown he can win a highly competitive marathon race.
                    To be fair, when those races are held in London. Seriously, he had competition in Fukuoka and also definitely had company all the way to 35k in his Berlin '08 WR.
                    What is his record in 'Majors'? Those are the races (along with the 2008 OGs) where the top runners focused their efforts. As much as I have been a Geb fan, that is his weakness. The last Berlin race was much better for competition rather than display but I would still like to see it done at London/NY/Chicago/OGs/...

Comment

i just hope they race and they both arrive in 100% shape for a truly great race.

Comment

Has Geb indicated whether he is running the Worlds or the 'real' Berlin marathon? The link posted on the front page regarding Kenyan selections for Berlin (WCH) states Wanjiru is aiming for the September Berlin marathon for a WR shot, and is likely to skip the Worlds as they're just a month beforehand.

Comment

Did Geb also dodge any real competion when he was a track star or are we looking at a new cowardly Geb model? :roll:
                          phsstt!

Comment

Originally posted by SQUACKEE
                            Did Geb also dodge any real competion when he was a track star or are we looking at a new cowardly Geb model? :roll:
                            No, he definitely didn't do that in his track days - but he was the fastest finisher around back then. And as a marathoner he also had a few races against top opposition (in London) - the problem is he ended up losing them.

Comment

Originally posted by SQUACKEE
                              No, he definitely didn't do that in his track days - but he was the fastest finisher around back then. And as a marathoner he also had a few races against top opposition (in London) - the problem is he ended up losing them.
                              exactly. no disrespect to Geb he has nothing to prove to anyone and if he want's to put the WR out of reach good luck to him. but from his past races i wouldn;t put my money on him in a 'race' situation. i would love to be proved wrong preferably at a champs
                              i deserve extra credit

Comment

Working...
                              X