X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by mump boy
    Originally posted by Powell
    Originally posted by SQUACKEE
    Did Geb also dodge any real competion when he was a track star or are we looking at a new cowardly Geb model? :roll:
    No, he definitely didn't do that in his track days - but he was the fastest finisher around back then. And as a marathoner he also had a few races against top opposition (in London) - the problem is he ended up losing them.
    exactly. no disrespect to Geb he has nothing to prove to anyone and if he want's to put the WR out of reach good luck to him. but from his past races i wouldn;t put my money on him in a 'race' situation. i would love to be proved wrong preferably at a champs
    My experience is people don't usually change very much. The Geb we saw on the track racing is mentally the same compeitor we see today. If you look just at the body of his marathon work one could come to the conclusion the guy cant or wont race anyone who threatens him at 26 miles, i dont believe that. He wanted the world record and he now has it. He made his record attempts very clear. Where were the runners who want to beat a guy who can't race anymore? I admit i am biased towards Geb. He seems to be a very special and charming human.
    phsstt!

Comment

Lets see from 1500 to a Marathon his personal best outdoor and indoor. Wow how can anybody say anything negative about this man. Why dont the elite show up for these time trials and destroy the marathon record ? I know the record will be beaten aagain soon but give the man his props...

Outdoor

1,500 m 3:33.73 1999-06-06 Stuttgart
      Mile 3:52.39 1999-06-27 Gateshead
      3,000 m 7:25.09 1998-08-28 Brussels
      Two miles 8:01.08 1997-05-31 Hengelo
      5,000 m 12:39.36 1998-06-13 Helsinki
      10,000 m 26:22.75 1998-06-01 Hengelo
      10 km (road) 27:02 2002-12-11 Ad-Dawhah
      15 km (road) 41:38 2001-11-11 Nijmegen
      Ten miles (road) 44:24 2005-09-04 Tilburg
      20,000 m (track) 56:26.0 2007-06-27 Ostrava, Czech Republic
      One hour (track) 21,285 m 2007-06-27 Ostrava, Czech Republic
      20 km (road)* 55:48 2006-01-15 Phoenix
      Half marathon 58:55 2006-01-15 Phoenix
      25 km (road) 1:11:37 2006-03-12 Alphen aan den Rijn (not recognised by IAAF)
      Marathon 2:03:59 2008-09-28 Berlin

Indoor

1,500 m 3:31.76 1998-02-01 Stuttgart
      2,000 m 4:52.86 1998-02-15 Birmingham
      3,000 m 7:26.15 1998-01-25 Karlsruhe
      Two miles 8:04.69 2003-02-21 Birmingham
      5,000 m 12:50.38 1999-02-14 Birmingham

Comment

Originally posted by puddys12
        Lets see from 1500 to a Marathon his personal best outdoor and indoor. Wow how can anybody say anything negative about this man.
        Who's saying anything negative about Geb??? Somebody asked a question bout who would win a race between Geb and Wanjiru. All we are doing is giving our opinion - what's your problem with that?
        Było smaszno, a jaszmije smukwijne...

Comment

All his wins were basically time trials, and whenever he got into a battle in the last few k's, he'd end up losing.
          Fukuoka was a time trial?

Comment

Originally posted by mump boy
            Originally posted by puddys12
            Clearly you are a Wanjiur fan. Geb has 3 of the top 5 times in the marathon and you say he is not competitive . Wanjiru lost a month ago in a half marathon race and what would of happened if the defending champion Lel who beat Wanjiru last year at London was there yesterday ? Oh i am a big Wanjiru fan but what Geb has done in his career is simply amazing.
            i'm with Powell Geb is probably the greatest runner ever but at the Marathon he has never won a competetive race which is why he has turned to running time trials with little competish.

i'm not saying he couldn't as he now seems to have conquered the distance but from previous form my money would be Sammy
            I agree. HG amazing over his career but could not be described as competitive over the marathon. Time trial and dollar chasing-tastic. I doubt he would even have medalled in Beijing, let alone won.

Comment

Go back to Geb's cross country record... brief, no? Then he disappeared to track running (where it was more lucrative and he found more success). Then to some uneasy marathon races once he transitioned. Now he's on fire. Is he a good head-to-head road racer, though?

Comment

Originally posted by trackhead
                All his wins were basically time trials, and whenever he got into a battle in the last few k's, he'd end up losing.
                Fukuoka was a time trial?
                OK, you found one counterexample in 4.5 seasons of full-time marathoning career. Congratulations.
                Było smaszno, a jaszmije smukwijne...

Comment

Originally posted by EPelle
                  . Is he a good head-to-head road racer, though?
                  Why wouldn't he? Great record in Olympic competitions and still has 2:03.59 endurance and sub 27 10k speed?
                  phsstt!

Comment

Aren't the endurance races run as time-trials? The Olympic races and track personal bests made the other part of my point.

Comment

Originally posted by EPelle
                      Aren't the endurance races run as time-trials? The Olympic races and track personal bests made the other part of my point.
                      If you can run 2:03.59 the odds are there wont be anyone to race at the end....except the Saminator!
                      phsstt!

Comment

in a match race now, wanjiru would win...

geb is a shade past prime, and in a competitive race sans pacers, i think i'd be tough for geb...

even with pacers, london was real fast, yet wanjiru was able to move big time late...

doubt geb could run away from him or outkick him

Comment

Yep, out with the old and in with the new. Geb has had a run, pun?, like no other distance runner but i think Sammy's time begin in Bejiing.

If my dream came true Bek, who wont break any on his track records at this point and has won everything including X-country, moves to the road with his sights on the Marathon world record and Oly. champ. Sammy and Bek both still in prime marathon age racing each other twice a year leading up to London With a huge assortment of Kenyans, Moroccans and Ethiopians in the mix of course.
                          phsstt!

Comment

Originally posted by az2004
                            geb is a shade past prime
                            For the 10 millionth time, it behooves us to remember that Geb was on the international stage in 1992 and a World Champion in '93. Anything he does now is just icing on the cake. And it's an absolutely gigantic cake.

Comment

lets see Geb turned 36 april 18 and this is what he has done in the marathon the last couple years. Sure dont look like he has lost a step. Yes he has lost races and so has Wanjiru in the last year . Lets not forget 3 time Lel couldnt defend his title at London last weekend ....... Poor old fellow sure has lost a step. We wont talk about all the sub 60 halfs he has run the last couple years and yes he lost some of the races....

2:03:59 Haile Gebrselassie age 35
                              2:04:26 Haile Gebrselassie age 34
                              2:04:53 Haile Gebrselassie age 35
                              2:05:29 Haile Gebrselassie age 35
                              2:05:56 Haile Gebrselassie age 33

Comment

Working...
                              X