X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• mike renfro
    replied
    Originally posted by marknhj
    Ran into ShaunP in Irvine yesterday. He recommends not missing the May 12 meet in San Diego; I may see if I can get down there...
    As noted above, the throwing will be inside the stadium. The stadium is not inclosed, so the wind is probably good, but maybe not so good as on the outside field. On the plus side, it shold be legal for all relevant throws, which is probably not the case for the outside field.

On weekdays, parking costs. There is a little turnaround by the stadium, with machines to pay the fees ($1 per hour). If anyone needs directions to the stadium, I can give those.

Leave a comment:

• marknhj
    replied
    Ran into ShaunP in Irvine yesterday. He recommends not missing the May 12 meet in San Diego; I may see if I can get down there...

Leave a comment:

• mike renfro
    replied
    Ok, for Chula Vista tomorrow:

1:00PM WDT
    2:00PM MDT
    3:00PM MSP

The start lists are on the team75 site, noted above. The biggest change from last Tuesday is Jarred Rome out, Ian Waltz in.

For those in the San Diego area, and have not been to the training center before, it looks like just taking I805 south to Olympic Parkway and going east to the OTC works (on the Thomas guide). I took the google trip, which involved a toll road (125 south of Spring Valley) and was $6 round trip. Not only that, without a Fastpass, I had to feed dollar bills into the machine and my arms aren't long enough, so had to turn off engine, open car door and feed the money. I did notice the sign after I had paid the homeward toll that I could have called in and put the tolls on a credit card.

Leave a comment:

• tandfman
    replied
    Haven't you heard? Cinco de Mayo is cancelled this year because of the flu.

(That's only partly a joke--CdM events ARE apparently being cancelled in a number of places.)

Leave a comment:

• mike renfro
    replied
    Originally posted by gh
    It's also supposed to rain in this part of the world on Tuesday. Wonder when/if ever someone has set a DT record in the rain? Grip on plate/circle would make it very problematic methinks.
    According to the newspaper, we may get a drizzle tonight, but cloudy only, through Sunday. I guess I could dig out a longer range forcast. I am not greedy, I can live with 71.27 quite nicely. My best (witness) is pushing 25 years (84 tac), I did see an equal the next year, also at San Jose City, Jenner meet.

According to the Yahoo weather page, it will be cloudy, by not rainy in SD on Tuesday. Hell, there probably is some San Diego ordinance prohibiting rain on Cinco de Mayo

Leave a comment:

• Double R Bar
    replied
    I understand Kanter will not throw in Salinas this Tuesday. Hartnell College's discus field has too much of a slope for the IAAF.

Leave a comment:

• gh
    replied
    It's also supposed to rain in this part of the world on Tuesday. Wonder when/if ever someone has set a DT record in the rain? Grip on plate/circle would make it very problematic methinks.

Leave a comment:

• mike renfro
    replied
    Originally posted by ShaunP
    Gerd Kanter and the rest of the Global Throwing group, including Omar El Ghazaly, Nik Arrenhius and Mart Israel, along with the dutch guys Cadee and Smith (hopefully), will take part in competitions in Chula Vista on Tuesday 5th and USCD at La Jolla on Tuesday May 12th.

The comp in UCSD will be in the Stadium and not on the outside throwing field as Gerd thinks that the conditions are better there and there is no question about the field. The outside throwing field, after undergoing $40k worth of levelling after Suzy Powells AR was dissallowed a few years ago, is a great field, but even this only extends to 73m down the left hand sector line. Gerd is creating a new problem for meet promoters as he is out-throwing the fields now!
    ShaunP
    That is good news. I will check out the web sites for starting times. I talked to the guy who seemed to be in charge of the meet at the OTC and he told me that they typically don't post the meet info on their site. I'll poke around and see what I can find. As to the in the stadium at UC San Diego, I'm not sure how good the wind will be. The outside throwing field pretty much catches the wind straight off the ocean. As noted above, sometimes it is perfect (for the women on Fri), sometimes not so perfect (for the men on Sat). The stadium proper is not inclosed, so if they have a good layout, they can certainly get some wind. From the spectator's point of view, there is seating, which is not the case at the outside facility.

Leave a comment:

• mike renfro
    replied
    Originally posted by gh
    Originally posted by mike renfro
    C...
    Any truth to the rumor about Kanter competing at Irvine this weekend at the Scott Invite? As of yesterday, he was not on the entry list for Sunday's men's DT. Actually, the field seemed to be mostly (all?) collegians. I'll look again.
    There was no rumor until you started one here! Mojo said her husband was in Irvine and she wondered if Kanter was throwing there. Dat's all folks.
    Oh ops: Simplifies my weekend tho..

Leave a comment:

• ShaunP
    replied
    Garry is correct that Kanter has indeed withdrawn from Salinas, the reason being that it was not certain that a World Record if achieved there could be ratified. There were issues regarding the legality of the field at World Record distances of 75m. This was not only about the level of the field which may have been slightly low as some points at that distance, but there was also an issue with the new Softball field which encroaches onto the new throwing sector so it does not provide uninterupted landing area across the whole sector at that distance.

There does not seem to be a problem at "normal" distances, but we are talking about throwing the discus further than anyone has ever thrown before, and at these distances there are other concerns which do not normally apply.

There was a new circle and cage put in only a few years ago when the softball field was built, as it cuts across the old sector at 50m or so. The new circle and cage was moved about 10m parallel to the old circle to allow the same angle of the sector relative to the favorable winds, but I think that they did not figure on 75m throws! You can see this set up clearly on Google Maps in the Satellite view.

I have spoken with Bob Hersh about this, and because it is a new ring, it would have no effect on the old marks, as effectively it is a new venue, and it would not cause a problem for too many people outside Mr Kanter.

The meets will go ahead on the 5th and the 12th in Salinas with most of the top americans taking part, as they are on a round trip tour with a number of meets on the trip.

Gerd Kanter and the rest of the Global Throwing group, including Omar El Ghazaly, Nik Arrenhius and Mart Israel, along with the dutch guys Cadee and Smith (hopefully), will take part in competitions in Chula Vista on Tuesday 5th and USCD at La Jolla on Tuesday May 12th.

The comp in UCSD will be in the Stadium and not on the outside throwing field as Gerd thinks that the conditions are better there and there is no question about the field. The outside throwing field, after undergoing $40k worth of levelling after Suzy Powells AR was dissallowed a few years ago, is a great field, but even this only extends to 73m down the left hand sector line. Gerd is creating a new problem for meet promoters as he is out-throwing the fields now!

The press in Estonia have been informed about this change, as there had been a great deal of attention put on these meets in Salinas over there, where Gerd is a national hero. Indeed, the interest for the results from the meet last Tuesday at Chula Vista was so high with 8000 visitors coming on to the Team75 website for the live results, that it crashed the server! They are looking to a solution for the next 2 meets.

I know that Gerd is looking to return to Salinas in the future, as it is one of his favourite venues and likes to throw far there. As I saw him throw over 71m indoors a few weeks ago, and have been watching him in practice at San Diego going easily over 70m, I would encourage anyone to visit the upcoming meets in San Diego, particularly at La Jolla on the 12th May where you will see something special!

He will not throw at Irvine however as some people have been suggesting.

I think that a press release will be posted soon, probably on www.Team75plus.com or www.globalthrowing.com.

ShaunP

Leave a comment:

• dl
    replied
    Originally posted by gh
    Local USATF official tells T&FN that a survey showed the field 4-inches low at 100m; w/ no record possiiblity, no reason to throw. Supposedly Kanter not only one to drop out.

No idea if Hartnell can/will try to effect a fix in time.
    I seriously wonder how many throwing sectors would be deemed legal if all were scrutinized closely.

Leave a comment:

• gh
    replied
    Originally posted by mike renfro
    C...
    Any truth to the rumor about Kanter competing at Irvine this weekend at the Scott Invite? As of yesterday, he was not on the entry list for Sunday's men's DT. Actually, the field seemed to be mostly (all?) collegians. I'll look again.
    There was no rumor until you started one here! Mojo said her husband was in Irvine and she wondered if Kanter was throwing there. Dat's all folks.

Leave a comment:

• tandfman
    replied
    If you move the ring, you might affect the angle of the wind, which is apparently ideal under normal conditions where the ring is now.

Leave a comment:

• mike renfro
    replied
    Could a "fix" be a move in the ring(s)? That might be doable in the time frame. If doing some kind of fill in the landing area is needed, probably not possible in the time frame, not to mention the money involved.

Leave a comment:

• lapsus
    replied
    Originally posted by gh
    Local USATF official tells T&FN that a survey showed the field 4-inches low at 100m; w/ no record possiiblity, no reason to throw. Supposedly Kanter not only one to drop out.

No idea if Hartnell can/will try to effect a fix in time.
    Has the field just sunk over the winter, or have previous marks in Salinas been (horrors!) several inches too long?

Leave a comment:

Working...
X