Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Texas High School Regional Champs Rescheduled (Swine Flu)

Collapse

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

This is crazy...If the concern is for the public, then cancel work, restaurants, flights, school, graduations, public transportation, daycare, and any other place where masses might be assembled. :roll:

Comment

Here's what they should do... postpone everything... just long enough to have a Texas/California Mega Duel.

Just whiteboarding...

Comment

You guys are on to something here, Let's just ALL stay home and watch reruns of 24 and Battlestar and whatnot. No point taking any chances ourselves, that's why we have Jack Bauer.

Comment

I had no idea we had so many medical doctors and epidemiologists on the board...

Comment

The Alabama state meet scheduled for this weekend has been postponed. Story on front page.

Comment

Ok, this is getting out of control(and I don't mean the flu).

Oh, and about those Mexican flu deaths scaring everyone? Well.....

http://www.nationalpost.com/news/story.html?id=1547114
              There are no strings on me

Comment

Fort Worth schools closed (for at least two weeks - the same timeframe as the track and field meets).

Comment

Originally posted by gh
                  e-mail from a friend in Texas:

<<...don't know if you've heard, the Texas high school governing body just cancelled all of the state qualifying track meets because of the flu. We can have an NBA game with 20,000 people at it between Dallas and San Antonio but we can't have 3,000 people assembled in San Angelo or Lubbock.>>
                  But we know that the NBA doesn't care about the health and safety of their teams' athletes--they even allow their players to wear jewelry!

Comment

story now on front page says Alabama has postponed its state meet

Comment

If Alabama is willing to cancel all sports because of TWO cases IN THE STATE, neither of which required hospitalization, why are they still having SCHOOL . . . or ANY public gatherings??!! Shouldn't we just quarantine EVERYONE??!!

I seriously thought this was an Onion article when I first heard it!!!!

Comment

I am just guessing here but I had part of this thought above. Lots of organizations have been developing plans for pandemics. The planning has as it background several things, including the 1918 disaster, the deadly SARS outbreak, and the Avian flue (H1N5 or is it H5N1?). These have much higher fatality rates, although the later two have lower transmission rates, especially the Avian version.

When markers are hit, policies call for certain actions, such as holding off on unnecessary school or school-related events. This may predispose or require action of the polices even though it seems an overly strong response to the current situation.

My wife was asked by a news reported yesterday about closing the schools here (Wisconsin, Madison). I think she said something like: Actions like that have a substantial cost and people use up vacation and sick days and other such things to cover the change from normal activities. Doing so diminishes the ability to have a prolonged response when the situation is more dire. Note also that Obama's comment is 'cause for concern, not cause for panic'.

Comment

If one is at all familiar with 1918, you can easily understand why people would err on the side of caution, but if the situation is truly this dire and the feds haven't already stepped in.....

Comment

Originally posted by gh
                            If one is at all familiar with 1918, you can easily understand why people would err on the side of caution, but if the situation is truly this dire and the feds haven't already stepped in.....

People are not dying who get treatment for swine flu. As far as I can tell the "non-risk" population isn't dying with or without treatment. The mexican death totals are now, upon further investigation by health professionals, being shown to be largely inflated.

Meanwhile, this is still somehow still a greater threat to the human race than the annual flu strain that kills tens of thousands.

What am I missing here?
                            There are no strings on me

Comment

According to the Dallas Morning News, The UIL (Texas' high schools governing body), phone lines have been jammed with coaches, athletes, and parents calling for reconsideration. Initially the UIL announced that it was canceling the 4 REGIONAL MEETS. These meets take the top 2 in each event and advance them to Austin for an all finals competition (STATE MEET). The REGIONAL MEETS were going to be held the weekend of May 1. The STATE MEET was to be held the weekend of MAY 15. Under the altered plan, The UIL was going to take the top 4 performances from all the district meets that comprise each Region and advance them to AUSTIN for a SEMI-FINALS MEET May 14, the day before the STATE MEET. After the protests, The UIL is now considering keeping the standard REGIONAL MEET format and holding it the weekend of May 15 while possibly moving the STATE MEET to the weekend of May 22 or 29. Venues for the REGIONAL MEET will be much easier to come by. The STATE MEET, if held in Austin, brings on a whole new set of problems. The UIL may look for other state locations. A tentative resolution to be announced by weeks end.

Comment

Originally posted by guru
                                Originally posted by gh

People are not dying who get treatment for swine flu. As far as I can tell the "non-risk" population isn't dying with or without treatment. The mexican death totals are now, upon further investigation by health professionals, being shown to be largely inflated.

Meanwhile, this is still somehow still a greater threat to the human race than the annual flu strain that kills tens of thousands.

What am I missing here?
                                The death rate in Mexico is not know because of several reasons. You cite possible mis-attribution of deaths (maybe all flu deaths are 'swine flu' when actually a fraction are from the standard flu. Another reason is that mild cases might not be counted for the denominator. So far there have been no non-Mexican fatalities (the one 'US fatality is a Mexican patient brought up to Houston). Maybe there are multiple strains within the main virus track - influenza mutates continually - and the imported cases are of lesser versions.

As for why this is more of a problem than the normal flu, this is an entirely new strain and there are many fewer barriers to transmittal (you do not hit low-infectability individuals, now effective vaccine widely used, ...). Also, at least early reports were that it was killing non-old, non-very young - the two vulnerable groups with the highest fatality rates for flu. It seems that some fatalities are due to 'cytokine' storm from excessive defensive reactions. [A cytokine storm, or hypercytokinemia is a potentially fatal immune reaction consisting of a positive feedback loop between cytokines and immune cells, with highly elevated levels of various cytokines.]

Another factor is one of disease evolution. Apparently there is a mega-Hog farm where this started. That means that the virus can develop in a form that is highly lethal. Normally highly lethal strains cannot easily transmit because the host dies and the disease is not transmitted to enough other hosts. In the concentrated environment of a mega farm there is a 'target rich environment' and having hosts die off does not slow the spread.

Comment

Working...
                                X