Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Texas High School Regional Champs Rescheduled (Swine Flu)

Collapse

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by guru
    What am I missing here?
    Possibly a combination of bad data and the constant expectations of a pandemic causing WHO to pull the trigger a little sooner than usual?

Comment

Latest cancellation is the University of Delaware Open meet, which was scheduled for Saturday. Story on front page.

Comment

UIL changes it's mind, regionals and state both now rescheduled.

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/ap/tx/6401857.html

Comment

Of course, if we are in the incipient stages of a full-blown epidemic, situation will be worse for the meet in June!

Comment

Assuming we're not all dead by then, this delay will actually be good for me. I had a conflict on the original Texas state date and would have missed the meet for the first time in 13 years.
            "Run fast and keep turning left."

Comment

The Great Northwest Athletic Conference meet scheduled for this weekend at Western Oregon U. in Monmouth has been cancelled because there because of "a probable case of swine flu." Story on front page.

Lunacy, if you ask me, but don't ask me--I'm not an epidemiologist or a public health official.

Comment

OK, some Oregon official disagrees with me.

http://www.ktvz.com/Global/story.asp?S=10287385

I'm still not convinced this was necessary or advisable.

Comment

Originally posted by tandfman
                  OK, some Oregon official disagrees with me.

http://www.ktvz.com/Global/story.asp?S=10287385

I'm still not convinced this was necessary or advisable.
                  What's BS is that they just cancelled the meet. They could have moved it to any number of places, especially if you delay it until Sunday, then you wouldn't conflict with any high school meets. Or even delay it a week and relocate it.

Absolutely ridiculous. For most of those athletes, their conference championship is the most important meet of their season. This is just devastating to them.

Comment

Originally posted by trackstar
                    Assuming we're not all dead by then, this delay will actually be good for me. I had a conflict on the original Texas state date and would have missed the meet for the first time in 13 years.
                    The big question is, what will it do to the athletes? Will the marks be better than usual because they've had even more time to get in shape, or will too many people be past their peak?

I suppose a lot might depend on whether or not school's still in. When does the Lone Star school year end?

Comment

Originally posted by gh
                      Originally posted by trackstar
                      The big question is, what will it do to the athletes? Will the marks be better than usual because they've had even more time to get in shape, or will too many people be past their peak?

I suppose a lot might depend on whether or not school's still in. When does the Lone Star school year end?
                      Vast majority of the schools are not out until end of the first week in June (right before the new date for state meet).

Comment

Working...
                      X