Collapse

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

also i am guessing chris derrick will be trying to go under rupps 13:37 5k ajr, i think fernandez will beat derrick, but it would be great to have 2 juniors under the ajr in the same race.

Comment

Which sets up a good trivia question: When is the last time two AJR's (men) broke a standing 5.000m AJR record in the same race?

Comment

Originally posted by EPelle
        Which sets up a good trivia question: When is the last time two AJR's (men) broke a standing 5.000m AJR record in the same race?
        Well, considering Rupp broke Lindgren's record which was like 40 years old... I'll venture a guess that it was Lindgren and Somebodyelseurother 40 years ago...

Comment

franklyn sanchez was the record holder before rupp.
          i will probably be wrong, but i will say gerry lindgren and rick riley.

Comment

Lindgren was two years older than Riley, meaning that Riley would have had to have been an 11th-grader at the time, so that's probably not the answer (I don't know what it is). Their chances for 5Ks, as opposed to 3Ms, would also have been very limited.

Comment

maybe steve prefontaine and gary bjorklund?

Comment

Craig Virgin and ?

Comment

Originally posted by Bruce Kritzler
                  Craig Virgin and ?
                  dave merrick?

Comment

Originally posted by doug091463
                    franklyn sanchez was the record holder before rupp.
                    i will probably be wrong, but i will say gerry lindgren and rick riley.
                    Am I confused?

(Well, yes, probably...)

But - Galen Rupp's bio says he broke Lundgren's record. Not Sanchez's...

http://www.usatf.org/athletes/bios/rupp_galen.asp

Comment

Rupp broke Lindgren's HS record and Sanchez's AJR.

Pre held the AJR prior to Sanchez.

The USATF bios are filled with errors, eg Jerry Lindgren.

Galen Rupp 13:37.91 7/4/04, Heusden-Zoeller, Belgium
                      Franklin Sanchez 13:38.59 3/1/01, Stanford, USA
                      Steve Prefontaine 13:39.6 7/16/70, Stuttgart, Germany

Gerry Lindgren ran an AJR for 3 miles, 13:04.2 on 7/10/65.

Comment

Galen Rupp ran 13:37.91 on 7/31/04 in Heusden-Zolder, Belgium.

Comment

I would be dissappointed if German and derrick dont go under the AJR.I mean german ran a 3:55 mile indoor,and strength wise was 11th in the xc juniors.He should be able to run 13:20 or better.

Comment

Prefontaine ran under 3:55, won 3 NCAA cross country
                            titles and never ran 13:20 or faster.

Joe Falcon ran 3:49, was an NCAA cross country champion and
                            never ran under 13:20.

It has taken Rupp close to 5 years to progress from 13:37 to under 13:20.

I would be quite surprised if German ran near that area in his initial effort.

Comment

Prefontaine did not run 3;55 when he was 18,but German did.Joe Falcon did not break 4 minutes until his soph year when he ran a 3:56 indoors at the Arkansa invitational.German ran a 8;34 2 mile in high school.

Comment

He'd be hard-pressed his first time out no matter how much talent he displays. He'd have to run the same pace (1.04,25) he did when he set the high school 3.200m record (8.34), and continue another 1.800m without slowing down. Then, as if that were not a formidable enough challenge, he'd have to kick a 28-second closer to break 13.20.

Comment

Working...
                                X