Collapse

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Does anybody else think this heat has the horses to hit 13:20s? Some good young guns, including Fernandez, Derrick, new 3:56-guy Coe, Vail, etc. But it seems like somebody in the race would have to take some chances and really extend themselves, or the real studs will have to start racing early, to go that fast. Maybe 13:40s is more realistic.

Comment

That is right, they were stronger and maturer, thus it is even less likely German will run 13:20 in his debut.

Hansjörg Kunze ran 7:56 for 3000 as a 16 yo. He did not run under 13:20 for many years.

German has yet to do anything that leads me to think he will run under 13:20 soon.

Originally posted by williamwindhamjr
      Prefontaine did not run 3;55 when he was 18,but German did.Joe Falcon did not break 4 minutes until his soph year when he ran a 3:56 indoors at the Arkansa invitational.German ran a 8;34 2 mile in high school.

Comment

Though I stated that holding 64,25 a lap would be a very tough job for Fernandez in a debut, his high school trainer last year believed Fernandez could hold 64s through and through (at some point this year).

AB: What do you think he can do in the future?

BE: He can do more. He can run a lot faster. Like I've been explaining, I coached him conservatively. We focused on getting strong at the paces that were comfortable for him. He hasn't done hills. He hasn't done hard speed work. He's going to have a very nice transition to college. A year from now, I could see him holding 64s for 5000 meters. When you do the math, that's about 13:18. I think that would be a realistic next step for him.

Comment

Originally posted by williamwindhamjr
          I would be dissappointed if German and derrick dont go under the AJR.I mean german ran a 3:55 mile indoor,and strength wise was 11th in the xc juniors.He should be able to run 13:20 or better.
          German's indoor 3000 indicates he "could" run in the low 13:20's however he's not a mature athlete and we don't know if he's at the same fitness level he was indoors.

I doubt he sees 13:20 tonight. He might crack 13:30 although probably more likely to be closer to 13:35.

Comment

Originally posted by ed gee
            Hansjörg Kunze ran 7:56 for 3000 as a 16 yo. He did not run under 13:20 for many years.

German has yet to do anything that leads me to think he will run under 13:20 soon.
            His 3:55 mile leads me to think he can. I don't believe Kunze was ever that fast.

However, it's sucky weather right now in the Bay Area (rainy, cold), so chances of a fast time may be limited.

Comment

I agree German may be capable of 13:20 or better. But, usually, ability must be matched with maturity and/or the right race conditions to reach one's potential.

Comment

Everybody is different.German ran 3:55 and second place in that race was 4:05

Comment

... something he is used to doing -- running alone and winning by nearly 10 seconds, no? He ran 4.00,24 -- 9,36 seconds ahead of runner-up at Cal State Meet last year. 8.34,23 - 28,27 ahead of runner-up. How does that equate to breaking a "soft" 5.000m record?

Comment

Be cause the times he ran were fast times by himself.It was almost like a time trial

Comment

Yes, and he dropped from 7.59e to 7.47i with competition. He's able to run 3.53,5ish without stopping. Terrific. He's capable of 13.20 and beyond as the opportunities present themselves at the right times.

Seems like you're trying to speed up that time frame for him by reducing the value of a very tough record.

Comment

Thats the problem,everybody is always going by some time frame because he is only 18.A runner doesnt know how long a career is gonna last.Cease the moment and run fast.If it is meant to be having a long career you will.

Comment

Do you moonlight as a comedian?

Comment

Yeah I do and the joke is americans believe that our runners are not capable of running against the best.

Comment

GF is running the second heat, right. If so, it is an indication that this is not a maximal performance attempt. Thus, even if we might project sub-13:20 based on the recent performance level, it seems unrealistically fast for his purposes in this race.

In addition, even the fast race has some questions, such as Tegenkamp who has been injured (a number of weeks without really being able to train) and may well not be able to go under 13:20 right now.

Comment

both derrick and fernandez not only bettered rupps ajr, but both also ran faster than lindgrens 3 mile converted mark.

as for the trivia question are you going to tell us the answer or are you going to give us a time frame to try and find out the answer.
                                good question i am stumped thank you.

Comment

Working...
                                X