Clear All

Re: Bailey

[quote=The Atheist][quote=LEGEND]
    Originally posted by jamaicantrackfan
    Originally posted by "The Atheist":2dz9kbdj
    Originally posted by Sportsfanx1
    Originally posted by "The Atheist":2dz9kbdj
    Is Daniel Bailey going to run the 100m there? Cuz so far, Bailey has looked a lot faster than Yohan in the 100m. Bailey should have a good shot of winning if he races.
    Yes, he will be there.
    I agree with you Trackfan (other post), on this will be a opportunity for the less known athletes to measure where they at this time of the season. Some compeling match ups to look for. Yohan look to break 10 secs this season. I saw Moya Thompson running on tv for first time last week. Interesting to see how she do in 400m. Hey, M walker can give Sanya a good run. I really think walker can be an asset to women's 4x400m team. She has 400m Hurdles strength, plus 100 and 200m speed.

didn't see a mention of the races Carter or Frater will be in. If they are also in the 100m, then this look to be a very good race. Carter, Frater and Yohan Blake seems to the three that will likely challenge for that Last spot in 100m on JA team. I read Marvin Anderson is gunning for the spot also, but I'll give the edge to Yohan Blake. He ran 10.08 easily earlier in season, so I look for him even do better come JA Nationals in June.

PS do you know if this meet will be stream online?
    Why do you say Carter, Frater, and Blake seem to be the three that will challenge for the last sport on the JA team in the 100m, when Daniel Bailey is faster than all three of them?

Your logic seems kinda weird...
    Daniel Bailey is not Jamaican. He runs for Barbados.
    Bailey is from Antigua not Jamaica or Barbados. I also haven't heard of him running yet but I may be wrong. He was slightly injured at the Utech meet.[/quote:2dz9kbdj]

He ran a 9.93 in +2.3m/s wind on March 14th, this year. That would have been a 9.94 in 2.0m/s wind. That's pretty good for a run in the middle of march. He also GAINED on Usain Bolt a bit in a relay race where he and Usain Bolt were both the anchors on their 4x100 team. Not bad if you ask me...

The guy is VERY fast, and VERY underrated.[/quote:2dz9kbdj]

I did not see that gain in that relay but he ran well. I don't think he is underrated but he has to bring it to the big stage now and take it to the next level. He is well on the way now. He has been racing since indoors so he is well ahead of Bolt at this stage although they are in the same camp. I hope the slight injury he had at the Utech meet does not set him back too much.

Comment

[quote=jamaicantrackfan][quote=The Atheist][quote=LEGEND]
      Originally posted by "The Atheist":2rj52ygb
      Originally posted by "jamaicantrackfan":2rj52ygb
      Originally posted by "The Atheist":2rj52ygb
      Is Daniel Bailey going to run the 100m there? Cuz so far, Bailey has looked a lot faster than Yohan in the 100m. Bailey should have a good shot of winning if he races.
      Yes, he will be there.
      I agree with you Trackfan (other post), on this will be a opportunity for the less known athletes to measure where they at this time of the season. Some compeling match ups to look for. Yohan look to break 10 secs this season. I saw Moya Thompson running on tv for first time last week. Interesting to see how she do in 400m. Hey, M walker can give Sanya a good run. I really think walker can be an asset to women's 4x400m team. She has 400m Hurdles strength, plus 100 and 200m speed.

didn't see a mention of the races Carter or Frater will be in. If they are also in the 100m, then this look to be a very good race. Carter, Frater and Yohan Blake seems to the three that will likely challenge for that Last spot in 100m on JA team. I read Marvin Anderson is gunning for the spot also, but I'll give the edge to Yohan Blake. He ran 10.08 easily earlier in season, so I look for him even do better come JA Nationals in June.

Why do you say Carter, Frater, and Blake seem to be the three that will challenge for the last sport on the JA team in the 100m, when Daniel Bailey is faster than all three of them?

Your logic seems kinda weird...
      Daniel Bailey is not Jamaican. He runs for Barbados.
      Bailey is from Antigua not Jamaica or Barbados. I also haven't heard of him running yet but I may be wrong. He was slightly injured at the Utech meet.[/quote:2rj52ygb]

He ran a 9.93 in +2.3m/s wind on March 14th, this year. That would have been a 9.94 in 2.0m/s wind. That's pretty good for a run in the middle of march. He also GAINED on Usain Bolt a bit in a relay race where he and Usain Bolt were both the anchors on their 4x100 team. Not bad if you ask me...

Well, this is his first year where it seems he is breaking out. He still needs to win/place high in a couple of races for people to really take note.

The guy is VERY fast, and VERY underrated.[/quote:2rj52ygb][/quote:2rj52ygb]

Hey, the part in bold is your words, not mine. Could you edit your post so that it doesn't look like I typed that. Cuz that is NOT my opinion. My opinion is that he already is noteworthy, even if you don't think he is.

Comment

I've got a friendly suggestion..... cut back on the confusion by trimming down what you respond to in the first place; copying every response in the thread only eats up bandwidth.

Comment

Originally posted by gh
          I've got a friendly suggestion..... cut back on the confusion by trimming down what you respond to in the first place; copying every response in the thread only eats up bandwidth.
          I agree. How might I be "trimming down" w/o retyping? I found no help in "FAQ."

Thanks
          none

Comment

Re: Jamaica International Invitational Saturday, May 2

This is a very abbreviated list of confirmed participants. I will update the list later on today
            Foreign Particpants
            Bianca Knight
            Kerron Clement
            Dawn Harper
            Daniel Bailey
            Add Sanya Richards, Marshevet Hooker, Darvis Patton, and Mechelle Lewis to your list.

Race lineup

W100m Kerron Stewart, SAF, Aileen Bailey, and Bianca Knight.. Bianca will double back in the 200m.

W 400m- Sanya Richards, Melaine Walker , Moya Thompson, Novelene Williams,

W400 H- they say Tasha Danvers (Mrs VS) has no competition.

W100h- Dawn Harper,

M100m Richard Thompson, Yohan Blake, Mark Burns , Darvis Patton

M200-Marvin Anderson, 400m run.

Kerron Clement -400mH
            Hooker will be in the 100.

Comment

Originally posted by The Atheist

The guy is VERY fast, and VERY underrated.
              It isn't bad, but the probability of ANYONE ever running with a +2,0 m/s at his back are very, very (very) slim. Only nine times out of 392 legal times (0,02%) recorded under 10,00 (pela2 list) has anyone had a +2,0 in their race.

Comment

Yea, I know, I was just converting to what it would have been if it had been run legally, because I figured if I had said "He ran a 9.93 in 2.3m/s wind" everyone would have been like "Soooo!?!? Who cares!?!? That's just a windy time, so that time doesn't count!!!" and would try to invalidate his very fast march run just like that, even though 2.3 wind is not very far over the limit at all (in fact only 0.01 seconds worth of wind over the limit).

What I've noticed over the past year or so when I was on trackshark, and this is kind of interesting, is that while a large portion of track and field fans seem clueless about the effect of wind when it is withing the legal range, saying absurd things like "Well, if it had been a +1m/s wind, instead of a -1m/s wind, that maybe would have been one or two hundredths faster (when it would actually be more like a tenth of a second)" they tend to do the exact opposite the instant a wind goes over the legal limit. So like, if a guy runs a 9.70 in +2.1m/s wind, then, instead of saying "WOW!!!!! That's an INCREDIBLE TIME!!!!" they would instead say something like "Oh, its 9.70w? Oh that's nothing then, anyone can run fast if it's a wind-aided time, that doesn't count for anything."

I am exaggerating SLIGHTLY, but seriously, people tend to dismiss thing very easily when there is a W or an A next to the time. They don't usually take the time to actually check how far over the limit the wind was, and thus figure out how fast the time could have been if it were legal and so forth. Which is unfortunate, since they end up dismissing a lot of great performances that way.

Comment

Folks are fortunate, then, that you have taken the time to put times into perspective.

Comment

Ya

Comment

IAAF preview of the meet.

http://www.iaaf.org/WAF09/news/kind=100 ... 50387.html
                      Cows need love too

Comment

From another board....for folks wondering why Tyson and Muna aren't in Jamaica....

Guess this is why there's no TG in Jamaica...

http://www.statesman.com/sports/content ... track.html

LONGHORNS TRACK

Meet draws running's big names
                        By Randy Riggs

AMERICAN-STATESMAN STAFF

Friday, May 01, 2009

The Texas Invitational, a hastily arranged track meet scheduled for Saturday at UT's Myers Stadium, is expected to draw several Olympians and nationally prominent runners.

Arranged after the cancellation of a meet in Houston, the Texas Invitational has a commitment list that includes Tyson Gay, Wallace Spearmon Jr., Lopez Lomong, Muna Lee and Simone Facey, all Olympians in Beijing.
                        Several college teams also will compete. The meet, free to the public, begins with the hammer throw at 11:30 a.m. Other field events start at 1:30 p.m. and running events begin at 4 p.m. It will be the final tuneup for the Texas Longhorn men and women before the Big 12 championships May 15-17 in Lubbock.

Gay set the U.S. record in the 100-meter dash (9.77 seconds) in the quarterfinals of the Olympic trials, but he strained a thigh muscle in the 200 prelims at the trials and didn't qualify in the event. He only reached the semifinals of the Olympic 100 meters.

Gay is expected to run in the 400 Saturday in a strong field that includes Spearmon, his teammate at Arkansas as well as on the Olympic team. Spearmon was third in the 200 at Beijing but was disqualified for a lane violation.

Lomong, one of the "Lost Boys of Sudan," became a U.S. citizen in 2007 and was the flag bearer for the U.S. Olympic delegation at the opening ceremonies in China. A 1,500-meter semifinalist in Beijing, Lomong is entered in the 800 at the Texas Invitational against a field that includes the top three in the event in the Big 12 — Jacob Hernandez and Tevan Everett of Texas and league leader Chris Gowell of Baylor.

Lee, a former LSU star who placed fourth in the 100 and fifth in the 200 at the Olympics, is expected to run in the women's 100 against former Texas A&M star Facey.

Comment

What no Marvin Anderson?

Comment

Marvin Anderson will be there.
                            Cows need love too

Comment

Originally posted by Gleason
                              Originally posted by gh
                              I agree. How might I be "trimming down" w/o retyping? I found no help in "FAQ."

Thanks
                              It's simple. Hit the quote button to put the entire text in the reply screen. Then just block the text of what you want to delete and delete it. You have to be careful when there are quotes within the quotes. But if you understand how the quote thing works (beginning with
                              Originally posted by someone
                              and ending with
                              then you can preserve the integrity of the quoting with just a little though and without re-typing text.

Comment

I hope we eventually get to see the entire meet on the Internet similar to the Utech Classic recently held in Kingston that is now showing on demand on www.universalsports.com
                                Cows need love too

Comment

Working...
                                X