Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• USA distance runners need to up the bar

I keep hearing in the forum discussions,how derick and german should break the AJR in the 5k.That record is softer than a marshmellow cooking under an open fire!The guy who took second to Galen at the xc nationals,and when he broke the AJR indoors at 13:19 has already run a 27:28 for 10k this year.German is capable of running 13:20 or better now.Galen should be running under 28 minutes,but he ran a 28 something at a meaningless race.We are way to dainty with our aproach to racing.The cardinal invitational has all these top runners in different heats,which doesnt make sense.How could these guys run fast over in Europe when they run these slow meaningless races.German could of broke the AJR in high school.

Re: USA distance runners need to up the bar

Originally posted by williamwindhamjr
    I keep hearing in the forum discussions,how derick and german should break the AJR in the 5k.That record is softer than a marshmellow cooking under an open fire!
    How many 18-year-olds in the USA can run 8.43,46 for 3.200m? I'd venture to say that perhaps 14-16 or so have run that fast. Ever. And you've had some good ones now and then. Now, how many 19-year-olds should be expected to run 8.43,46 and continue another 1.800m at that pace... without stopping?

Comment

Re: USA distance runners need to up the bar

Galen should be running under 28 minutes,but he ran a 28 something at a meaningless race.
      There was a meaning behind it: The NCAA Auto qualifying mark is 28.45,00. Two UO runners qualified for the NCAA Championships without having to break the bank; Rupp had returned to higher mileage and harder workouts and Puskedra was debuting at this distance. Shall he also be in 27.28 shape because the new collegiate-record also is that kind of shape... in april? Remember what happened to Alan Webb, hard workouts and a 27.30ish 10.000m?

We are way to dainty with our aproach to racing.
      Bob Kennedy ran a 3.56 mile and a 3.38 1.500m before heading off to Europe in 1994. He returned with a PB 13.02,93 under his belt. How was his approach to racing?

Comment

Galen doesnt have to be doing harder workouts to get in 27 10k shape.He ran a 13:19 indoors and has gotten more speed under his belt.Galen can qualify for the 5 or 10k in his sleep.

Comment

Are you purposefully missing the greater point here?

Comment

No I am not.Alan Webb and Galen Rupp are two different runners.I understand that you think he will peak early,but the big picture for a runner like Galen is definetly the nationals.

Comment

No I am not.Alan Webb and Galen Rupp are two different runners.I understand that you think he will peak early,but the big picture for a runner like Galen is definetly the nationals.
              As a returning WC finalist (no rounds) and, most recently, an Olympian, I believe Rupp is looking long past USA Championships. He's peaking for august, not june. Therefore, why would he have had to be in 27-minute shape now?

Comment

Who said that 27 is his peak?We dont know how fast Galen can go,but its nice to set the bar high.

Comment

Working...
                X