Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Meanwhile, Back In Kenya

T&FN correspondent Kirk Reynolds is enjoying a vacation in the world's greatest running country. While there, he just went to the Kenyan XC nationals. His multi-part story (w/ some photos) can be found on the front page. Some very interesting moments!

Re: Meanwhile, Back In Kenya

What a great peek into a world so unlike our own. That must have been akin to the Super Bowl, World Series and March Madness, all rolled into one sweaty ball. I like the writing style, sort of breathless, like the runners.

Comment

Love those pictures! The women running in dresses made me think of pictures I've seen of women's t&f competitions circa 1900.
      "Run fast and keep turning left."

Comment

These are super articles. If you haven't done so, read them! Thanks so much to Kirk.

I lived in Kenya in 1977, 1981-84 and 1991-92, and competed in some KAAA cross country and track meets (and road races) during the longest stay. Looks like things haven't changed much, in terms of the lack of publicity, women running in "dresses", the Kenyan joy in running, or the great competition.

Kirk's mention of the Kiswahili word "mzungu" for "white man" reminded me of the first KAAA Cross Country competition in November 1983. The field of about 125 had to cross a 10-foot wide bridge about 150m into the race. I was prepared to sprint for the bridge - but got a hard elbow in the chest right at the gun and started in last place. But over the 12k race I gradually moved up, and as I entered the grass track with 300m to go was in about 25th place. At that point the announcer called out over his bullhorn, "And here comes an mzungu! He's running VERY WELL for an mzungu! Give him a hand!"

Comment

>The women running in dresses made me think of pictures
          >I've seen of women's t&f competitions circa 1900.

... or of Sandra Farmer-Patrick :-)
          Było smaszno, a jaszmije smukwijne...

Comment

Many thanks! These articles are great--both the writing and the photos. I visited Kenya in the summer of 1969 as a 17-yr old high schooler. My biggest thrill was going to the Kenyan Police Championships to watch Kip Keino run on a warm, beautifully sunny afternoon. He won the 5000 that day (time of something like 14:28 or so). I sat on the bank about 2 feet from the edge of the track and snapped his picture every time he came around the track. The public enthusiasm for the athletes and the whole event was just great. A really memorable day...

Comment

See the front page for 2 new entries in Kirk's Kenya diary. A third new entry will be posted later today.

Enjoy!

Comment

Those looking for the magic bullet should pay attention to the second article on their training:

"There’s no secret to Kenyan running success. It’s hard work."

Comment

The third part of the Iten Training Camp piece is now up. It has a couple great shots of Kamariny track.

Comment

I liked the picture of the sheep grazing in the infield of the track.

Comment

The latest installment of Kirk's Kenya Diary is now up on the site at http://www.trackandfieldnews.com/tfn/di ... jsp?id=186

It includes interviews with Mike Kosgei, David Okeyo, Edith Masai, and Patrick Sang.

The work speaks for itself.

Comment

Here's a little thing to make you laugh!

http://www.weebls-stuff.com//data/toons/kenya3.swf

Comment

Kirk's last Kenya report is up at http://www.trackandfieldnews.com/tfn/di ... jsp?id=193

Comment

Working...
                          X