Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Vili to seek British citizenship?

Don't know how serious she is about it, or if it's a bit sensationalised, but interesting all the same:
    Olympic shot put champion Valerie Vili could switch nationality from New Zealand to Great Britain before defending her title at the 2012 Games.

Vili, whose father was born in Bristol, has said that funding reasons may be a factor in her decision.
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/athletics/8036044.stm

Obviously we wouldn't say no, but not sure her reasons are very sound.

Having said that it doesn't seem as if she's considering it too seriously at the moment.

Comment

Re: Vili to seek British citizenship?

Originally posted by Jon
      Don't know how serious she is about it, or if it's a bit sensationalised, but interesting all the same:
      Olympic shot put champion Valerie Vili could switch nationality from New Zealand to Great Britain before defending her title at the 2012 Games.

Vili, whose father was born in Bristol, has said that funding reasons may be a factor in her decision.
      http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/athletics/8036044.stm
      woop Woop :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

i'm not too keen on people moving countries especially for financial reasons i'm not sure how much more she's get in UK the fundinig is all means tested away anyway

but i not going to complain she one of my favourite athletes
      i deserve extra credit

Comment

Wasn't this brought up and denied out of hand last year? I mean, she'd be more than welcome! But it'd be hard lines on New Zealand.

I think one of the advantages (and attractions) of the British system is that we do have good medical back up for the funded athletes. Healthcare, especially sports medicine is expensive, so getting that paid for is pretty useful.

Of course, we would lose our right to moan about athletes changing country for money ...

Comment

I'm just throwing this out there, cuz I'm such a caring guy, but if she wants to become an American, I'll vouch for her with them INS dudes, and I'll be her friend . . . I'm just sayin' . . .

Comment

Originally posted by AthleticsInBritain
            Of course, we would lose our right to moan about athletes changing country for money ...
            I've never really moaned about that anyway. By and large, athletics is an individual sport and athletes compete for themselves.

The only thing I'm thinking is - don't you have to go for 2/3 years without competing for your current country if you want to change nationality? So if she really were considering switching by 2012, then she'd likely have to skip the 2010 CWG and 2011 WCh. Maybe even this year's WCh...

Comment

That's a hard question to answer, unless you're one of the three people on the planet who has memorized the IAAF Rulebook. "Citizenship" has inconveniently been left out of the index.

It's three years from time of last representation, but can be cut to 1 year if both federations agree. Like the Kiwis would accede to facilitating the loss of their biggest star! (well, I guess if Liz asked nicely.... :-) )

Comment

Could she not also represent France as her husband Bertrand Vili is french is he not ??
                However im sure there are some rules about having to live in the actual country for a while are there not ?

While it would be a major boost for British womens throwing events and gosh do they need it in Britain, apart from Sayers of course it would be a bit harsh for the Kiwi's to loose out on a medal for those reasons.

But then we have lost athletes like Fiona May in the past, so whichever makes her happiest will make me happiest.
                There really does need to be a few more stars like her in the world of womens throwing !

Comment

Originally posted by gh
                  That's a hard question to answer, unless you're one of the three people on the planet who has memorized the IAAF Rulebook. "Citizenship" has inconveniently been left out of the index.
                  I haven't memorized it, but it's all on the web. This stuff is in Rule 5.

Comment

Vili has taken issue with the original report. Story now on front page.

Comment

Valerie is not, I repeat IS NOT going to compete for Great Britain. She is an utterly devoted kiwi who is prouder than anyone to be wearing the black singlet.
                      Heres an article straight from my local newspaper, with Vili affirming her comments were merely sensationalised.
                      http://www.nzherald.co.nz/sport/news/ar ... d=10570924

Comment

Working...
                      X