Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cordner Nelson

Thought you might like to know that the co-founder of Track and Field News, Cordner Nelson, is currently in the hospital in Monterey, California (Community Hospital of the Monterey Peninsula), with cancer. Cordner turns 91 this August.

Very sorry to hear this news, but hope that he is doing as well as he possibly can... For someone most of us have never met, he is very greatly admired and appreciated around here...

Comment

Poop :evil:

Comment

Originally posted by kuha
        Very sorry to hear this news, but hope that he is doing as well as he possibly can... For someone most of us have never met, he is very greatly admired and appreciated around here...
        Yes, best wishes.
        "A beautiful theory killed by an ugly fact."
        by Thomas Henry Huxley

Comment

I began subscribing to T&FN in 1958 while in high school in suburban NYC. California was like some foreign land or even perhaps in outer space. The Nelsons were mystical figures that sent me a mystical magazine each month.

In 1975 at age 32 I made my first trip west of the Mississippi, a business trip to San Jose. I took it upon myself to see if the mystical was real, and bopped into the T&FN office, chatting up both Bert Nelson and Jon Hendershott. A neat experience. I even took pictures of the office's interior.

Years later while doing some professional insurance work for USA Track, I got to meet Cordner Nelson at a USATF convention.

Without the Nelsons, there would never have been Track & Field News. Both are honored members of the USA Track Hall of Fame.

Comment

Originally posted by kuha
            My sentiments exactly.

Comment

Years ago, in another career, I had the great honor to interview Mr. Nelson at his home in Pebble Beach for a newspaper article. Being fan of T&F and T&FN, I was really excited about it.
              Unfortunately, a combination of awe, adulation and a tape recorder malfunction compromised what should have been a great story for me.
              The article had a couple of errors.
              Mr. Nelson sent me a characteristically brief -- one might even say terse -- note of correction.
              I was mortified -- I still get uneasy thinking about it -- because I always held his journalistic standards in such high regard.
              He impressed me. I found him very good looking, calm in movement manner, with a keen wit. There was no nonsense about him, but he was politely tolerant of a sometimes non-sensical visitor.
              I wish him and his family well.

Comment

Working...
              X