Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by FrankS
    Let's put it this way: Would any fans attend a meet just because they like the music they play? Or, is it more likely, that fans would not attend a meet because the music they played drove them crazy! Track and field needs all the fans it can crab and to alienate a great number of fans is just plain crazy!
    I think you'll gain far more new fans versus alienating the few old (fogey) ones

I think music definitely has the ability to make sporting events very exciting. I'm not a big basketball fan at any level, but I'll go to a live Nuggets game whenever the opportunity arises because of the exciting atmosphere with the music and other events that happen within the Pepsi center during a live game.

Comment

Sounds as it it would probably drive me to drink Coke.

Comment

Originally posted by TrakFan
        Let's put it this way: Would any fans attend a meet just because they like the music they play? Or, is it more likely, that fans would not attend a meet because the music they played drove them crazy! Track and field needs all the fans it can crab and to alienate a great number of fans is just plain crazy!
        I think you'll gain far more new fans versus alienating the few old (fogey) ones

Bingo.

And to 110hedgeNY, I agree, the music should absolutely not be the center of attention. It should hardly be the periphery of attention. If it is possible to incorporate music effectively (and reasonably) to enhance the experience of a race, then I'm all for it. But just blaring it like they do at other sporting events does not fall into this category at all. I haven't been to Reebok but I can only imagine how annoying it could get.

Incidentally, as I write this, I'm hearing AC/DC cycled with John Denver from Oriole Park.

Comment

The trouble with music is that we've all got different tastes. Even within one particular genre of music you can't please everybody. I love Bach but don't care for Wagner. The only common denomintator at a track meeting are the athletic events. If you did an exit poll of the spectators at athletic meet as to their musical taste you are going to get everything from Bach to rap. Being made to listen to music that I dislike would be very uncomfortable to me - to say the least. But, of course, this whole question, is part of the bigger question of the growing intrusion of loud music into our lives generally. And, I hate to think what the effects of this loud music is doing to the well being of our ears!

Comment

I love Bach
            I do, too, but I can't imagine wanting to hear Bach at a track meet.

Comment

The trouble with music is that we've all got different tastes. Even within one particular genre of music you can't please everybody. I love Bach but don't care for Wagner. The only common denomintator at a track meeting are the athletic events. If you did an exit poll of the spectators at athletic meet as to their musical taste you are going to get everything from Bach to rap. Being made to listen to music that I dislike would be very uncomfortable to me - to say the least.
              Bingo - we have a winner!

Comment

If you don't like reggae music, don't come to the Reebok Grand Prix in New York on May 30th. They play loads of reggae music before, during and after the meet as well as they have a reggae concert at the conclusion of the meet.

Meet attracts tonnes of Jamaicans similar to the Penn Relays since numerous Jamaican athletes(pro and HS) perform there. Irie Jam radio is one of the sponsors of the meet thus it is more of a Jamaican/caribbean flavor.
                Cows need love too

Comment

Originally posted by bad hammy
                  The trouble with music is that we've all got different tastes. Even within one particular genre of music you can't please everybody. I love Bach but don't care for Wagner. The only common denomintator at a track meeting are the athletic events. If you did an exit poll of the spectators at athletic meet as to their musical taste you are going to get everything from Bach to rap. Being made to listen to music that I dislike would be very uncomfortable to me - to say the least.
                  Im not so sure he wins.

You go to an NBA arena and the entire mostly 'non hiphop' crowd :wink: is flatout losing their minds while rocking to the HipHop beat during hallf time and time outs.

And I'm speaking of Texas... a *gulp* red state.

Sure they play rock also, but hiphop is a mainstay in NBA arenas.

Fans dont seem to have a problem with the mix of music there.
                  The fool has said...there is no God. Psa 14

Comment

"Non hiphop crowd"? Seriously?
                    And I would hardly call the three Texas cities with NBA teams anti-hiphop.

Comment

Originally posted by gm
                      "Non hiphop crowd"? Seriously?
                      And I would hardly call the three Texas cities with NBA teams anti-hiphop.
                      Like I said...

Texas is staunchly conservative.

Check for radio stations in Dallas, for example, and you'll get 3 or 4 country stations to any one hip hop or rb.

Go to a Maverick game and you won't see a crowd thats readily identified as hip hop.

Until the music starts. :lol:

And I didnt say "anti "I said "non."

Comment

I love live music and have attended over 20 performances during the past two months, ranging from opera to jazz to rock. It's what I do when I'm not at track meets. However, I am not at all in favor of music blaring during meets and would much rather listen to announcer commentary or chat with other track buffs in my section. If music must be played, I would hope that it would be infrequently and kept at reasonable volume. One musical bit I do like is the drum circles at Hayward Meets; it's non-intrusive (to me, at least) and seems appropriate to long distance races.

Comment

I will check the address on my mail again. Maybe after all these years I got transported to another state without knowing it. :lol:

That being said, you wouldn't catch me in a pro sports arena, precisely because of the crap they call "entertainment" now. Well, that and the generally boring nature of pro football/baseball/basketball/hockey.

Comment

Music has no place in track and field.

If people cannot appreciate the events for what they are, let them plug in their ear pieces and listen to whatever interests them.
                            "Who's Kidding Who?"

Comment

Originally posted by TrackDaddy
                              Originally posted by bad hammy
                              Im not so sure he wins.
                              I am!

Comment

[quote=bad hammy]
                                Originally posted by TrackDaddy
                                Originally posted by "bad hammy":2mdwc2fx
                                Im not so sure he wins.
                                I am![/quote:2mdwc2fx]

Well in that case...

Comment

Working...
                                X