X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Georgia HS high jumping

quite the night last night:

In various classes: 7-2½ 7-2, 7-0, 7-0, 6-11

Ohio deep as well(state still a month away).

http://oh.milesplit.us/rankings/2009/outdoor/hs/m/HJ
    There are no strings on me

Comment

Re: Georgia HS high jumping

Originally posted by gh
      quite the night last night:

In various classes: 7-2½ 7-2, 7-0, 7-0, 6-11
      Rant on:

Multi-class high school state meets - everyone goes home a winner. Pathetic. Put all the kids in one pool and let the cream rise to the top. Works great in CA, would work great elsewhere . . .

Rant off.

Oh, and nice jumping . . .

Comment

I could argue either side of the multi-class vs one classe state meet.
        The opportunity for more kids to " go to state" vs being a true state champion.
        Obviously, large enrollment schools have the advantage of sheer numbers in scoring and relays. I have not done a statistical analysis but my perception is that the best indvidual performances are proportionally as likely to come from small schools as from large schools.

Comment

NC went to a two, three, and eventually four class meet over the last twenty years and it has totally diluted the event imo.

I would like to see all individual races ran in an open format and the relays could be broken into the classes, which are based on enrollment. When it comes time to run a relay go largest class to smallest (or reverse it) back to back and then onto the next event.

Comment

Originally posted by btango
            NC went to a two, three, and eventually four class meet over the last twenty years and it has totally diluted the event imo.
            Exactly! Arguably the best girls high school distance race ever - Hasay beating Chetelat at the 2008 CA State Meet two mile by less than a second in the numbers two and three times ever - never would have happened if CA was dumb enough to dilute the meet, Hasay goes to a school with fewer than 300 kids - Chetelat's school has 1700. Who would rather watch those two time-trialing in separate races?

State meets should not be an opportunity for every Johnny and Lakeisha to participate; if you are not one of the best in the state you have no business punching a ticket for the state meet, period.

Comment

Originally posted by bad hammy
              Originally posted by btango
              State meets should not be an opportunity for every Johnny and Lakeisha to participate; if you are not one of the best in the state you have no business punching a ticket for the state meet, period.
              Exactly why I never made it to the State meet as a kid, I was one or two spots away. I was never State Champion caliber anyway, but woulda been nice to have the T-shirt.

Comment

Originally posted by BCBaroo
                Exactly why I never made it to the State meet as a kid, I was one or two spots away. I was never State Champion caliber anyway, but woulda been nice to have the T-shirt.
                Neither did I, and I didn't deserve it. (Although I would have qualified in many states. That is one of the reasons that the CA state meet is the best one out there - it is very tough to qualify, and therefore produces a very high quality product.)

Comment

In MA we had League championships one week then Divisional championships the next week (which is the Multi-Class based on school size). Then the State championships the following week which were the best of the Divisionals. Then New Englands then finally Nationals.

Comment

That is one of the reasons that the CA state meet is the best one out there - it is very tough to qualify, and therefore produces a very high quality product.)
                    That's easier to do when you have the state meet in August, or whenever you left-coasters do it... :lol:

Comment

Georgia, proportional to its population is within the top 5 in NCAA finalists produced. I would be reluctant to change much.

Comment

Originally posted by gm
                        That is one of the reasons that the CA state meet is the best one out there - it is very tough to qualify, and therefore produces a very high quality product.)
                        That's easier to do when you have the state meet in August, or whenever you left-coasters do it... :lol:
                        Yeah, for some reason a lot of states want to get the state meet out of the way in time for spring break.

Comment

Why not have the best of both worlds. Have class championships then follow it up with a meet of Champions. All the champs from the respective classes meet up and fill the other lanes with wildcards by times (either at state or meets that would be considered elgiible for qualifiers).

Not that difficult. But I am all for the class system.

Comment

Big ups for Bad Hammy.

I missed CA state champ participation by 1 place and 2 bouts of mono BUT - thats tough noogies for me. Always wanted it to be the best of the best. And it always was that in So Cal ... until it changed - fortunately after I was more forgotten than before.

Our family always thought if you could make it in So Cal/Cal - you could make it anywhere. Those CIF SS champs were hard to top for drama and crowd craziness. Add testosterone overload of HS toads - and great memories

Comment

Originally posted by guruof track
                              Why not have the best of both worlds. Have class championships then follow it up with a meet of Champions. All the champs from the respective classes meet up and fill the other lanes with wildcards by times (either at state or meets that would be considered elgiible for qualifiers).

Not that difficult. But I am all for the class system.
                              We have 4 classes and tried a Meet of Champions one time; it failed horribly, because everyone was burned out emotionally from the State Championships. I'm all for different classes for one reason and one reason only: THIS IS JUST HIGH SCHOOL, PEOPLE!!!! It's just for . . . (gasp) . . . fun. That's the same reason I don't give a rip if we run the 1600 and 3200 - it's about the KIDS and it's not the freakin' Olympic Games. It really is just for fun, and if you think it's anything more than that, you need to sit with a team at a State Meet one time. With this new-fangled intraweb thingie, everyone knows what's really going on, marks-wise, so give the One Meet thing a rest. Yeah, it works great in Cali, but here In Fla, we're happy as pigs in slop the way things are.

As for why we have our State Meet now? It's 93 and humid down in Orlando now, and when they run the 3200, even at 9:00pm, kids are drenched by the 5th lap.

Comment

Working...
                              X