Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Will/should Tyson Gay run at US champs in June?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Will/should Tyson Gay run at US champs in June?

As the defending champion, he has a bye in both the 100 and 200m..

If he does decide to run, should be run in both or either 100 or 200?

I think he should just run the 100m.
    Cows need love too

USATF rules say that for him to be on team he has to run in the meet. In any event for which he is qualified.

But no restrictions on how far/hard he has to run. I'd say a nice easy 200 jog might pose less problems than a hard start/finish in the 100.

But he now also has the 400 option, which might be interesting.

Comment

if he is fit he should defo be there, no point avoiding they will be the rivals along with the jams in berlin and he still needs to earn a 4x1 place!

Comment

Excuse me for not looking at the big picture, but I thought it was supposed to be a goal, and fun, to WIN A NATIONAL CHAMPIONSHIP . Why look for reasons to avoid such a huge meet and the chance to gain honors ? Anybody here that looked for reasons not to run in the State Meet in high school if they qualified for it ?

Comment

If it's a no-pay meet and you're coming off serious injury and a full-blast effort might endanger future pay meets plus the World Championships, I would understand completely if he cooled his jets.

Comment

He should run but not peak for it

And maybe juut one or tworounds of both the 100 and 200 and then pull out

I dont think he should be runnign 400s by the end of June, needs to start getting sharper around then

Comment

All Tyson gotta do is run one race, thats all the USATF requires from defending world champs. In Tyson's case...if I was him, that would be all I would do.

Comment

I agree with justblaze1011, if all that is required is participation in one race, I'd jog the first 100 m heat in 15 or 16 seconds, then pack up and go home. Berlin awaits.
                Regards,
                toyracer

Comment

The USATF meet is still a championship setting.

Whilst there is nothing inherently wrong with jogging a race in order to meet the stipulation set forth for returning champions due to receive an auto bye into the IAAF world champs, I submit that the travel, hotel stay, warm-up, race and warm-down are no less tiring or stressful on an individual. If you're not 100%, why add to the stress by adding a worry-factor (tweak, strain, pull) to the equation?

I don't believe it represents a great standard of fair play to walk through a race, pack up and go home, but the athlete is who is ultimately paying the price (and hoping to be paid) for those decisions, not me.

Comment

Originally posted by toyracer
                    I agree with justblaze1011, if all that is required is participation in one race, I'd jog the first 100 m heat in 15 or 16 seconds, then pack up and go home. Berlin awaits.
                    Nah, you gotta have some pride and remember that the fans are your best friend. A 15-second jog is going to get you booed, and next time you show up for the Pre meet you might get the same treatment.

He should be able to run an in-control 20.75 to win a heat without breaking a sweat or putting any undue stress on anything.

Comment

Originally posted by dukehjsteve
                      Excuse me for not looking at the big picture, but I thought it was supposed to be a goal, and fun, to WIN A NATIONAL CHAMPIONSHIP . Why look for reasons to avoid such a huge meet and the chance to gain honors ? Anybody here that looked for reasons not to run in the State Meet in high school if they qualified for it ?
                      There's a big difference between high school athletes and professionals.

Edited to correct typo.

Comment

I hope he runs the 400.

Less risk for injury and the competitive atmosphere and endurance work will help him manage the 100/200 rounds in Berlin.
                        The fool has said...there is no God. Psa 14

Comment

Originally posted by gh
                          Originally posted by toyracer
                          Nah, you gotta have some pride and remember that the fans are your best friend. A 15-second jog is going to get you booed, and next time you show up for the Pre meet you might get the same treatment.

He should be able to run an in-control 20.75 to win a heat without breaking a sweat or putting any undue stress on anything.
                          I seriously doubt that Gay shows up and jogs a 15 second hundred or only runs one race. The dude is a competitor and I'm sure he wants to send a message to folks.

Comment

I think the suggestion of turning up and jogging is one of the stupidest things i've heard

Would he turn up to a Grand Prix and jog? Of course not

He will need to start sprinting at some point

Comment

Originally posted by Irish100m
                              He should run but not peak for it

And maybe juut one or tworounds of both the 100 and 200 and then pull out

I dont think he should be runnign 400s by the end of June, needs to start getting sharper around then
                              In 2008 Tyson ran 45.8 leading off 4x400 at TexasR. Less than three months later he won OT 100. He ran 9.77 & 9.68w there. IF he ran 400 at USAT&F on June 25, he has until August 15 to sharpen for 100. His injuries in July and November cause me to advocate caution.

My suggestion is run 400s through USAT&F. He can then run up to six 200s and three 4x100s on third leg receiving baton from Spearmon between June 30 and July 31. That would give him two weeks to sharpen his start. Because of Bolt I hope that he runs for second in 100, 200 & 4x100 instead of risking more injury.
                              none

Comment

Working...
                              X