Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Do We Really Want a Thread For Every Event?

Collapse

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It actually annoys the hell out of me, but I thought the "separate threads" thing was popular so I've said nothing...

Absolutely so for a championship or if something "big" happens that needs separate discussion but generally, most GP meets can be contained within one thread I reckon...

Comment

Last year's Doha meet:
      http://mb.trackandfieldnews.com/discuss ... hp?t=30573

Start lists up. Then who's got what on which channel. Then a bunch of results posted in the body of the following pages... often (not always) becomes a cut/paste of what is already available in the results. Finally, of interest, Marlow stated, "The results of this meet are making me light-headed." gh replied, "This will go down as the meet we get in every Olympic year where we think that the U.S. season is pretty darned good, and then comes a major across-the-board explosion like this one."

Unfortunately, there was not an explosion of great dialogue about the events which unfolded. I also like event-by-event threads, because it makes a search a hell of a lot easier to perform at a later date. There were 284 on-topic replies on the event-by-event threads compared to 114 replies about the meet on the single Doha thread last year.

Comment

Originally posted by EPelle
        Doha was because gh requested it.
        I think that's probably the best answer to this. Let gh decide when event-by-event is appropriate and do it only then.

Comment

Generally like event-by-event threds, especially when forum format is such that you can't always tell to whom or what a particular post is responding. Let mods decide when it's appropriate.
          Would like to see event results posted on the thred asap. Often discussion turns to splits or how so-and-so looked at the finish, without the big-picture context for those without immediate access to the info.

Comment

Re: Do We Really Want a Thread For Every Event?

Originally posted by donley2
            Do we really want a single thread for every event?
            Yes...

And yes every athletic event is "marquis" if it's your event.

Just my opinion...

Comment

Re: Do We Really Want a Thread For Every Event?

Originally posted by carlosreyes2k
              Originally posted by donley2
              Do we really want a single thread for every event?
              Yes[quote]

Does that imply temporary separate forums for each meet, as gh has had for big championships? Otherwise, there could be hundreds of threads for ongoing meets, esp if many coincide on the same day (e.g., bunch of national championships).

Comment

given that it's something that's not going to be moderated the mantra should be: better too many threads than too few.

Comment

Originally posted by lalala
                  It actually annoys the hell out of me
                  Me too. For championships I can understand it because there's always a lot of pre-event talk and championships usually last for a few days, so it makes sense to have separate threads for each event instead of one big long one to span several days of action.

But for individual grand prix events (sometimes even the GL meets) it's just unnecessary. If you're away from the board when a GP meet is taking place, you come back afterwards and all of a sudden there's a couple dozen new threads - half of which have already slipped onto the second page of the forum section - and most of the new threads have just a few posts in them. It's just not very user-friendly.

Maybe a better solution would be to group events together, i.e. "Doha - men's sprints", "Doha - women's field events", etc, etc. That way there'd be around six threads per GP, and each thread would probably only reach to three or four pages max. For those who are following the meet live, it means they won't have to keep reloading one big long thread, nor will they have to keep flicking from loads of separate littler threads. And for those who use the threads to catch up after a GP, it will be much quicker to do.

Comment

I probably prefer everything in one thread, but thought the convention on here these days was one per event, so that's what I did for Osaka.

Comment

Originally posted by Vault-emort
                      I probably prefer everything in one thread, but thought the convention on here these days was one per event, so that's what I did for Osaka.
                      As it stands not every meet has a thread for each event. Just the big ones.

Keeping it the way it is is fine by me.

Now onto other threads like that Goucher one I just saw.

Comment

Originally posted by carlosreyes2k
                        Originally posted by Vault-emort
                        As it stands not every meet has a thread for each event. Just the big ones.
                        Exactly. And if you look at the total reply counts for the two meets, you can see that thread-per-event made a lot more sense for Doha than it did for Osaka. But one probably could have predicted that just looking at the start lists and considering the time of day.

Comment

Working...
                        X