LaShawn Merritt

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• LaShawn Merritt

I didn't find a genuine Merritt thread, so apologies if one is out there.

According to Merritt's most recent IAAF on-line diary (today's front-page news), Merritt has really been investing time into learning more about the 400m.

An excerpt:

“We’re just spending a lot of time going over races. And learning more about races. Everything needs to be improved, from start to finish – body position, hitting a certain zone. I’m still learning the race. And I’m still learning myself in the race.”

Though Merritt doesn't have a specific time goal this season, he is aiming at winning his first world title, and has the following upcoming races to help sharpen him and get him set for Europe:

200m at the adidas Track Classic (16-may)
    400m at the Reebok Grand Prix (30-may)
    300m at the Prefontaine Classic (7-june)
    400m at USATF

He's got a 20,17 and 44,50 under his belt to-date. How is he fairing against whatever goal you personally believe he should hit? Does running 43-mid really win in Berlin, and, if so, does that mean that Wariner is not due to improve over the course of the year (or peak in Berlin)?

Re: LaShawn Merritt

Originally posted by EPelle
    IHow is he fairing (sic) against whatever goal you personally believe he should hit? Does running 43-mid really win in Berlin, and, if so, does that mean that Wariner is not due to improve over the course of the year (or peak in Berlin)?
    I just want JW to be in mid-43 shape when they meet this summer. If LM wins, more power to him, but I feel (wrongly or rightly) that he got the Oly win cheap.

Comment

Yeah, what a stiff! They should have rubbed the gold off one side of his medal just to show how little he deserved it. I mean, good grief, ran only a 43.75 PR to move to No. 5 on the all-time world list with the biggest winning margin in the event since 1896!

Comment

I can hardly believe they let him run on the relay :P

Comment

Originally posted by Marlow
          IHow is he fairing (sic) against whatever goal you personally believe he should hit? Does running 43-mid really win in Berlin, and, if so, does that mean that Wariner is not due to improve over the course of the year (or peak in Berlin)?
          I just want JW to be in mid-43 shape when they meet this summer. If LM wins, more power to him, but I feel (wrongly or rightly) that he got the Oly win cheap.
          It's true that JW didn't bring his A game to Beijing, but still, LM's gold was no cheaper than either of Michael Johnson's two 400 Olympic Golds, when the second place finisher could only manage 44.4.

Comment

Originally posted by gh
            Yeah, what a stiff! They should have rubbed the gold off one side of his medal just to show how little he deserved it. I mean, good grief, ran only a 43.75 PR to move to No. 5 on the all-time world list with the biggest winning margin in the event since 1896!
            And we should rub the Oly gold off the medal that Polish dude got in the shot while were at it. Clearly the Americans didnt show up. :P
            phsstt!

Comment

[quote="jazzcyclist" It's true that JW didn't bring his A game to Beijing, but still, LM's gold was no cheaper than either of Michael Johnson's two 400 Olympic Golds, when the second place finisher could only manage 44.4.[/quote]

Are we sure he didn't bring his A game? He jogged the semi in 44.1x. A couple of days after the final he smoked a 43.1x in the anchor. Is it possible he got freaked by being out in lane 6 while LM was in 3 and let his affect is race tactics?

Comment

Originally posted by 502CD
                Are we sure he didn't bring his A game? He jogged the semi in 44.1x. A couple of days after the final he smoked a 43.1x in the anchor. Is it possible he got freaked by being out in lane 6 while LM was in 3 and let his affect is race tactics?
                He drank out of Sanya's water bottle? Which they shared with Hoffa?

Comment

Originally posted by jazzcyclist
                  It's true that JW didn't bring his A game to Beijing, but still, LM's gold was no cheaper than either of Michael Johnson's two 400 Olympic Golds, when the second place finisher could only manage 44.4.
                  Maybe he brought to Beijing, but forgot to bring it with him to the stadium on the day of the final, because clearly, 44.74 is not his A game.

Comment

Originally posted by Marlow
                    :!:
                    The fool has said...there is no God. Psa 14

Comment

What would be great is if JW ran the 300 with LM

Comment

Splitting 20,8 and holding it another 100m... tough, man. Wariner likes to challenge the third 100m. Would be just under his ideal pace, but an ideal situation for both athletes to test their speed and endurance against one another.

Comment

Maybe he brought to Beijing, but forgot to bring it with him to the stadium on the day of the final, because clearly, 44.74 is not his A game.
                          All depends on how tough a grader you are, but Wariner may have needed his A+ game to win. He only has three career races faster than the 43.75, so you're talking the way-skinny end of the bell curve on his performances.

He also didn't "really" run a 44.74, since he pretty much walked it in, giving up a full second to Merritt in the last 100. Wouldn't surprise me that he could have run close to 44-flat (i.e., personal top-10 territory) had he had motivation to keep an unclosable gap closer.

Comment

Originally posted by gh
                            All depends on how tough a grader you are, but Wariner may have needed his A+ game to win. He only has three career races faster than the 43.75, so you're talking the way-skinny end of the bell curve on his performances.

He also didn't "really" run a 44.74, since he pretty much walked it in, giving up a full second to Merritt in the last 100. Wouldn't surprise me that he could have run close to 44-flat (i.e., personal top-10 territory) had he had motivation to keep an unclosable gap closer.
                            And he almost got bronze because of it.
                            The fool has said...there is no God. Psa 14

Comment

Always thought JW did his best running when he treated races like time trials and executed exactly according to his (and Hart's) plan. Maybe easy enough to do when you're the best in the world by several meters for a few years. And maybe he's just so dang good it never really looked like he was actually racing.
                              Anyway, there are now a few guys capable of giving him a race, and my impression from Beijing was he was simply outraced by a better racer on that day.

Comment

Working...
                              X