Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CUB TJ

When was the last time any country had such a top field in the TJ? Can they go 1 2 3 at Berlin? If so has that happened - ever?

Methinks Cuba TJers are notorious early bloomers and late faders, although there have been singular exceptions. Springtime in Habana is bery bery good to them.

Comment

Shucks - those 17.61, 62. and 65 are damn good. I will still keep my eye on em :wink:

Comment

Originally posted by Marlow
        Methinks Cuba TJers are notorious early bloomers and late faders, although there have been singular exceptions. Springtime in Habana is bery bery good to them.
        If US shot put guys can go 1-2-3, surely Cuban triple jumpers can, too. :wink:

Comment

Don't you fans read or something.
          I put info re the Cuban TJers on a thread (''cubans bouncing along'') on this Board the day before and the silence was deadening. Impressive stuff, gentlemen..
          I referred to the GP at Fontaleza wehere the lead 3 performances where against strong winds.
          Do you expect a treatise on Cuban Triple jumping with perhaps a dash of the clever, clever stat stuff we read on this esteemed Board , before any response is made.

Proofs in the puddin ,your distances are not 100% correct acc to my info. You are referring to the ALBA games where the lead performance of 17.69 was wind assisted. which took place, I understand, a couple of weeks ago. Dont you Americans like Cubans or something?!!!!!

Can you imagine the response if 1 American,never mind 3, Triple Jumpers, had jumped 17.40m plus, this early on the season against. No doubt the Posters here would have been salivating for days.
          Trouble is that so many posters on this Forum are only really interested in American Athletics , you know the really big stuff, when Fred Bloggs of pisspot college runs the 109th best performance over 400m( forgive the heavy sarcasm)

One might have expected just one comment from our non American posters.

Comment

Re: CUB TJ

Originally posted by proofs in the pudd'in
            When was the last time any country had such a top field in the TJ? Can they go 1 2 3 at Berlin? If so has that happened - ever?
            In the early OG era, Sweden and USA both took TJ medal sweeps, but it has never happened in the modern era at a major champs. Cuba took gold and bronze in the TJ at the 1997 WCh. The USSR placed 2, 3 and 4 at the '88 OG. And Britain had three guys in the top six at the 2000 OG.

Cuba has a pretty good chance of doing it this year, but so long as their top three guys (Betanzos, Copello and Giralt) are all selected and all bring their 'A' game to Berlin. Idowu, Evora and Tamgho can all be a bit inconsistent at times, but one or two of them are bound to pose a strong threat to the Cubans.

Comment

Originally posted by scoe
              I put info re the Cuban TJers on a thread (''cubans bouncing along'') on this Board the day before and the silence was deadening. Impressive stuff, gentlemen..
              Which you posted one day after the thread about the Grand Prix meeting in Fortazela... :roll:
              http://twitter.com/Trackside2011

Comment

Originally posted by nevetsllim
                Which you posted one day after the thread about the Grand Prix meeting in Fortazela... :roll:
                ...and which was already covered in the dedicated Fortaleza Grand Prix thread; don't you 'read or something', Scoe?

Comment

I referred to the GP at Fontaleza wehere the lead 3 performances where against strong winds.
                  Do you expect a treatise on Cuban Triple jumping with perhaps a dash of the clever, clever stat stuff we read on this esteemed Board , before any response is made.

Proofs in the puddin ,your distances are not 100% correct acc to my info. You are referring to the ALBA games where the lead performance of 17.69 was wind assisted. which took place, I understand, a couple of weeks ago. Dont you Americans like Cubans or something?!!!!!

Can you imagine the response if 1 American,never mind 3, Triple Jumpers, had jumped 17.40m plus, this early on the season against. No doubt the Posters here would have been salivating for days.
                  Trouble is that so many posters on this Forum are only really interested in American Athletics , you know the really big stuff, when Fred Bloggs of pisspot college runs the 109th best performance over 400m( forgive the heavy sarcasm)

One might have expected just one comment from our non American posters.
                  Well according to IAAF Girat's has a 17.61 and a 17.62 - so I was off by one cent. for him - the 17.69 is for Copello but he has a legit 17.62. It was Betanzos who got the 17.65 at the ALBA with a 1.4w against Copello's 3.9w 17.69. I think this info. is correct?

Comment

Re: CUB TJ

Originally posted by proofs in the pudd'in
                    They went 4-5-dnq (as in, May form means nada)

Comment

I've always been very impressed with Cuba's development program. Why is it they seem to underperform on the big stage? There are notable exceptions, but the average "good bet at the bronze" Cuban athlete seems to dissapoint as often as not. Anyone with explanations?

Comment

I suspect that's a faulty perception on your part.

I suspect one might have the same feeling about a lot of smaller nations, where the pyramid has a sharp point and if a star has a bad day there's no teammate "equal" in talent to pick up the slack.

Comment

It may very well be my own faulty perception. It just SEEMS that they are better at placing athletes at the top of the yearly lists than at the top of the podium.

Comment

I think you are wrong:
                            Just for Triple men:

World List and season highlight each year:
                            2003: 8, 9 WC: 2, 4, 9
                            2004: 8 OG: 4, 8
                            2005: 5, 6 WC: 8
                            2007: 5 WC: 4, 7
                            2008: 4, 5, 10 OG: 4, 12
                            2009: 3, 4, 5 WC: 3, 5

looks like a good performance over the years.

what is really impressive overall is the cuban national list:
                            2002: 17,29m for 4th place
                            2003: 16,97m for 4th
                            2004: 16,88m for 7th
                            2005: 16,92m for 7th
                            2006: 16,97m for 5th
                            2007: 16,87m for 6th
                            2008: 16,82m for 7th
                            2009: 17,02m for 7th

no matter of talent they must do great basical jumping work.

greetings.

Comment

Working...
                            X