Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The King Is Back!!!

Don't know if anybody has noticed but Dwight Phillips is back!!! I saw him run the 100m at the Georgia Invitational and I just want you all to know he is very capable of running 9.8 or 9.9. He has opened up the yr with a jump of 8.51 his best opening jump ever. Ladies and Gentlemen I can't wait to see Phillips,Saladino, the young German take flight. The King is back!!!
    T.G.#1

Re: The King Is Back!!!

Originally posted by TrackGuy#1
    Don't know if anybody has noticed but Dwight Phillips is back!!! I saw him run the 100m at the Georgia Invitational and I just want you all to know he is very capable of running 9.8 or 9.9.
    But what DID he actually run?
    Było smaszno, a jaszmije smukwijne...

Comment

9.8 or 9.9? If that's the case DP is more than back, he is well beyond anyplace he has been before! Here's hoping that is the case...

Comment

Sorry, but in our sport, and particularly in that event, there is only one King, and it ain't Dwight Phillips.

Comment

Originally posted by jhc68
          9.8 or 9.9? If that's the case DP is more than back, he is well beyond anyplace he has been before! Here's hoping that is the case...
          yes he is as his 10.06 legal (wind 2.0) personal best on saturday at the georgia invite shows.

if he can go 10.06 in early may why not a sub 10 (9.8-9.9) this year?

Comment

Originally posted by tandfman
            Sorry, but in our sport, and particularly in that event, there is only one King, and it ain't Dwight Phillips.
            Are you saying that Powell is still the King?

8:51 is a fantastic start to the season.

Comment

Originally posted by Daisy
              Originally posted by tandfman
              Are you saying that Powell is still the King?
              Yeah, right.

Comment

applying the wind/altitude tables from Big Gold Book, that 10.06 slows all the way to 10.18 with zero wind at sea-level.

The 8.51 (27-11) is indeed most significant. He has jumped farther only four times, and all of those were in August of either '04 or '05.

Comment

Anybody know what the wind was for that jump?
                  Meet results don't seem to be up yet on the front-page link.
                  And Carl is the King, BTW.

Comment

Originally posted by gh
                    applying the wind/altitude tables from Big Gold Book, that 10.06 slows all the way to 10.18 with zero wind at sea-level.

The 8.51 (27-11) is indeed most significant. He has jumped farther only four times, and all of those were in August of either '04 or '05.
                    Yeah but the national lists don't look to the Golden Book before adding times so a 10.06 is a 10.06.
                    Afrikan

Comment

Lists may not look, but savvy track fans do, to get the reality behind raw numbers.

I would note, however, that if you adjust all of Dwight's other top times, they end up slower than the 10.06, so on a Dwight-vs-Dwight scale, he has indeed never run faster, and that's not good news for his rivals.

Comment

I agree 10.06 is a 10.06. Oh it was a wind legal 8.51m ,1.8w on his 1st jump! His second jump was a wind legal 8.39m. When he was destroying the field in 03,04,&05 he didn't have any real competition. This also happened with Saladino for the past 3yrs. Now with Phillips in great condition and Saladino in great condition I believe we will see the LJ blossom past the MP and CL rivalry. I know you guys may think that is foolish but you have two Olympic Champions who want to be remembered as the best, and I really believe the world record will be in reach when these two meet this summer. I'm going to go out on a limb and say that 9m is very possible, with Phillips bringing 9.8,9.9,or10.0 speed down the runway with great technique and Saladino bringing his great takeoff and technique, this showdown will be a sight to see. Like T.O. said Grab your popcorn its going to be a Long Summer
                        T.G.#1

Comment

Originally posted by gh
                          I would note, however, that if you adjust all of Dwight's other top times, they end up slower than the 10.06, so on a Dwight-vs-Dwight scale, he has indeed never run faster, and that's not good news for his rivals.
                          That may be true, I don't see 9.8 potential there.
                          Było smaszno, a jaszmije smukwijne...

Comment

When a mark is being used (as here) as an indication of potential, the only thing relevant is the underlying quality of the mark, not the won-lost record/'official -in-the-book' mark. That is gh's comment, plus is added observation that it is, quality wise, better than prior marks.

Of course, as others have noted given that this is only May and that he has been competing only recently (e.g., unlike collegians, who are honing their championship skills now) this mark is a significant clue to his season's potential. As noted above, that potential is not (at least yet) of the 9.8 variety, IMHO, as he will never get better wind for a legal mark ant there is a bit of altitude assistance as well.

Comment

Originally posted by ExCoastRanger
                              Anybody know what the wind was for that jump?
                              Meet results don't seem to be up yet on the front-page link.
                              And Carl is the King, BTW.
                              I saw the topic and thought Lewis was competing in a masters competition :shock:

Comment

Working...
                              X