Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bolt's 150m street race in Manchester, England on May 17th

According to a BBC report, race will be shown live on the BBC as well as US Television. Does anyone know what US network will carry the race if the report is true?
    Cows need love too

I sure hope he is being paid a lot of money for this gimmick. It would be really funny if he picked up an serious injury for this. Trust the Brits to come up with something like this.

Comment

Originally posted by kamikaze7
      I sure hope he is being paid a lot of money for this gimmick. It would be really funny if he picked up an serious injury for this. Trust the Brits to come up with something like this.
      It is not a gimmick. He is running a real race with other competitors but not inside a stadium as we are used to . He will be running on a special "racing" surface that will be put down on the road 24 hours before the race. And yes, he is being paid six figures to do this for which he is worth every penny.

And no, it wouldn't be funny if he picked up an injury you evil man :evil:
      Cows need love too

Comment

Twat
        i deserve extra credit

Comment

Originally posted by jamaicantrackfan
          It is not a gimmick. He is running a real race with other competitors but not inside a stadium as we are used to . He will be running on a special "racing" surface that will be put down on the road 24 hours before the race. And yes, he is being paid six figures to do this for which he is worth every penny.

It's a gimmick, but I hope he gets through it without injury.

Comment

As I've said, it just seems like there's always something this season.

I hope he doesnt get hurt by why isnt he running in marquee events instead of road races at nonstandard distances for money?

Do you believe this helps him focus/prepare on the task at hand...Berlin?
            The fool has said...there is no God. Psa 14

Comment

Originally posted by TrackDaddy

As I've said, it just seems like there's always something this season.

I hope he doesnt get hurt by why isnt he running in marquee events instead of road races at nonstandard distances for money?

Do you believe this helps him focus/prepare on the task at hand...Berlin?
              Bolt is scheduled to run in many marqee events this season.

He is already scheduled to run in Toronto on June 11, JA champs next, he is scheduled to run in London , Paris, Zurich, Brussels, Lausanne etc.

Plenty of opportunities to showcase his talent and run against the best(sorry, I meant the rest of the competition).

The negativity against Bolt by some posters here(they shall remain nameless is unbelievable.

The man decides to schedule one "road race" this season and some folks seem to have an issue with it.

Get real folks. Every athlete "runs" for money, fame and glory. and that is how they put food on their table. Why would he turn down a six figure payday if he is healthy in order to jog a 150m race. I know I wouldn't.

Relax folks
              Cows need love too

Comment

It is not a gimmick......And yes, he is being paid six figures to do this for which he is worth every penny.
                Of course it's a gimmick and he's only doing it for the money. Everyone in his position would probably do the same, but let's not pretend it's something it's not. It's primarily about his celebrity, not his athletic prowess...

Why do you insist on referencing Bolt's earning power on nearly every post you make? We all know what the market will pay an athlete in his position.

Comment

Originally posted by marknhj
                  It is not a gimmick......And yes, he is being paid six figures to do this for which he is worth every penny.
                  Of course it's a gimmick and he's only doing it for the money. Everyone in his position would probably do the same, but let's not pretend it's something it's not. It's primarily about his celebrity, not his athletic prowess...

Why do you insist on referencing Bolt's earning power on nearly every post you make? We all know what the market will pay an athlete in his position.
                  I guess similar to the gimmick 150m race between MJ and Donovan Bailey. Call it what you wish but at least he is being handsomely paid for his gimmick.

Bolt is the most highly compensated track athlete ever(in terms of current earning power on the circuit) in the history of the sport and we should all thank him for taking track out of the doldrums with his great performances in Beijing.

I am sure some folks here are "praying" for something to happen to Bolt so that their own favorite athlete will prevail in Berlin. Unfortunately, that is not going to happen.
                  Cows need love too

Comment

I must admit i like these sort of events - long and middle distance runners have Road and Cross Country and I doubt that any but the most ardent purist track fan would think them "gimmicky" - it's just racing in a different venue, and given the amount of virtual ink used in trying to come up with means to promote our sport then I am suprised to see events like this being denigrated to some degree.

Having said that, the injury factor is an ever present one, probably heightened on a temporary surface, but haven't our top sprinters shown it is easy to get injured in any case?

Comment

Originally posted by Chris McCarthy
                      I must admit i like these sort of events - long and middle distance runners have Road and Cross Country and I doubt that any but the most ardent purist track fan would think them "gimmicky" - it's just racing in a different venue, and given the amount of virtual ink used in trying to come up with means to promote our sport then I am suprised to see events like this being denigrated to some degree.

Having said that, the injury factor is an ever present one, probably heightened on a temporary surface, but haven't our top sprinters shown it is easy to get injured in any case?
                      And rightly so. These types of events broadens the appeal of track and field outside of the typical WC or Olympic Games.
                      Cows need love too

Comment

Originally posted by Chris McCarthy
                        I doubt that any but the most ardent purist track fan would think them "gimmicky" - it's just racing in a different venue
                        And rightly so. These types of events broadens the appeal of track and field outside of the typical WC or Olympic Games.
                        Agree. Gimmicky is when the javelin throwers have to hit a target, i saw that once in Edinburgh.

Now if they had Bolt and co. running after a London bus I might call it more tacky. First one to get on board wins the prize?

I like the mile races that some cities put on too.

Comment

Gimmicky in track and field is when Shawn Crawford raced a Zebra on live TV in the US a couple of years ago. Too bad he lost
                          Cows need love too

Comment

I am sure some folks here are "praying" for something to happen to Bolt so that their own favorite athlete will prevail in Berlin. Unfortunately, that is not going to happen.
                            You're paranoid. I don't know a single track & field fan who wishes anything but the best for Bolt. Everyone is still in awe of his Beijing performances and hope in future years he exceeds them. The only possible reason I can see causing anyone to hope he performs at less than his potential is to shut up some of his fans. Anyone who "prays" that he gets injured is simply not a supporter of track & field.

Comment

Originally posted by marknhj
                              You're paranoid. I don't know a single track & field fan who wishes anything but the best for Bolt. Everyone is still in awe of his Beijing performances and hope in future years he exceeds them. The only possible reason I can see causing anyone to hope he performs at less than his potential is to shut up some of his fans. Anyone who "prays" that he gets injured is simply not a supporter of track & field.
                              Maybe not fans but athletes/coaches in other camps who would look at it as a opportunity for their own athlete to shine in Berlin.Yea, and there are evil people in the world.
                              Cows need love too

Comment

Working...
                              X