Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• U.S. men ready for 4x4 WR? [split]

Is the relay WR ready to go down in Berlin?

Originally posted by 502CD
    Yes!

Xman to Merritt to Taylor to JDub...

2:54.09

Write it down.
    The fool has said...there is no God. Psa 14

Comment

No.

Comment

Originally posted by TrackDaddy
        Yes!

Write it down.
        That foursome could definitely do it if they all brought their A games.

Comment

Big if.

Comment

Yes!

Write it down.
            NO way !

These guys are no match for a team that had Reynolds, MJ and Watts

Comment

Originally posted by kamikaze7
              Yes!

Write it down.
              NO way !

I disagree. We're not talking about adding up PR's. We're talking about four runners being at or near the top of their game at the same time. In 1993, MJ's best 400 running was yet to come and Watts' and Reynolds' best 400 running was already behind him. MJ never had to deal with runners of the caliber of Jeremy Wariner and Lashawn Merritt during his six global title runs. All MJ had to do was run sub-44 to win, but that won't necessarily be enough to win over the next few years if JW and LM stay healthy and motivated.

Comment

Originally posted by jazzcyclist
                Originally posted by kamikaze7
                Yes!

Write it down.
                NO way !

I disagree. We're not talking about adding up PR's. We're talking about four runners being at or near the top of their game at the same time. In 1993, MJ's best 400 running was yet to come and Watts' and Reynolds' best 400 running was already behind him. MJ never had to deal with runners of the caliber of Jeremy Wariner and Lashawn Merritt during his six global title runs. All MJ had to do was run sub-44 to win, but that won't necessarily be enough to win over the next few years if JW and LM stay healthy and motivated.
                I couldn't have said it better, jc.

The US is extremely talented over 400m whether on the flat or hurdling.

This is the deepest we've been since 93.

I'm telling y'all if XMan continues to come around and makes it to Berlin in top condition...

Bam!

2:54:09

Comment

I say unlikely.

Craft me some believable splits that fit this requirement (using the 2:54.29 as a template): A leadoff guy to run 44.43, then three guys averaging 43.28.

In other words you're essentially asking for four PRs in a row. That's a nasty request at the best of times. But you're asking for them to do it in a meet where everybody on the team has already run multiple races (hopefully multiple-multiple).

And--here's the kicker--in a city where on August 23 at 18:15 the last five years the temperature has read 68, 66, 77, 64, 66. Toss out the anomalous 77 and you're not exactly looking at sprinter weather.

Comment

Not that implausible: Wariner and Merrit in top shape should be able to run
                    well under 43.28 in a relay. X should be able to take the lead leg in your
                    required time. Taylor is close to 44 flat in a non-relay and a sub 43.5 would
                    be verging on the cautious, if he is in shape.

In other words: The question is not whether they have the capability, but
                    whether the stars are aligned.

(Note: I do not necessarily recommend X on the lead leg. This is just the
                    easiest way to handle the numbers.)

Comment

Originally posted by gh
                      I say unlikely.

Craft me some believable splits that fit this requirement (using the 2:54.29 as a template): A leadoff guy to run 44.43, then three guys averaging 43.28.

In other words you're essentially asking for four PRs in a row. That's a nasty request at the best of times. But you're asking for them to do it in a meet where everybody on the team has already run multiple races (hopefully multiple-multiple).

And--here's the kicker--in a city where on August 23 at 18:15 the last five years the temperature has read 68, 66, 77, 64, 66. Toss out the anomalous 77 and you're not exactly looking at sprinter weather.
                      Hmm... say a flying start gives you 0.5 seconds advantage, maybe a bit more. How about:

Carter 44.6
                      Merritt 43.0
                      Taylor 43.7
                      Wariner 43.0
                      --
                      2:54.3

Is this believable?

Comment

Let's put it this way: two guys in history have run 43.00 or better, MJ and Watts.

Their flat PRs average 43.34.

LM and JW have PRs that average 43.60.

For both to go 43-flat isn't unbelievable, but it's certainly stretching the bounds as I see them.

But then, seeing bounds stretched is one of the best parts of the sport.

Comment

Originally posted by gh
                          I say unlikely.

I hadn't thought of that. :?

Comment

In order to achieve a WR Merrit would have to run first leg

Merritt 43.44
                            Angelo 43.28
                            Carter 43.55
                            Wariner 43.09

2:54.36 is the fastest plausible time.............. And that being generous with some of the legs

Comment

Originally posted by guruof track
                              In order to achieve a WR Merrit would have to run first leg

Merritt 43.44
                              Angelo 43.28
                              Carter 43.55
                              Wariner 43.09

2:54.36 is the fastest plausible time.............. And that being generous with some of the legs
                              Yeah, Merritt opened up fast on 1st before.

Was it Osaka?

For a 43 on first then it has to be JDub or Merritt.

Comment

Working...
                              X