Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why Adidas meet will have empty stands

Myself along with literally 10's of 1000's of other southern California track and field fans will not be the Adidas meet this Saturday.

Why you may ask?

Consider that date chosen picked the day that every high school in southern California (571 in the southern section and a 100 or so in San Diego section) will be running at their respective federation championship qualifying races, that do not end until after 6pm. It is also the Big West Conference meet at UC Irvine (southern California location) as well as the Pac 10 meet which though in Oregon has a lot of Southern California connection.

Could they not look at a calendar and note these meets occuring. This will continue to show T&F in a poor light as the meet will be televised and the stands will be empty as a big pool of potential fans have obligations elsewhere. Note this has been the case at this meet except for the year they did not do on this day.

I would love to attend but due to the HS meet and being a coach I cannot, Why not Sunday, or just a different weekend, I along with man others would be their.

I would love to see Felix, Wariner, and Gay...

Re: Why Adidas meet will have empty stands

Originally posted by Kingspeed
    Myself along with literally 10's of 1000's of other southern California track and field fans will not be the Adidas meet this Saturday.

Why you may ask?

Consider that date chosen picked the day that every high school in southern California (571 in the southern section and a 100 or so in San Diego section) will be running at their respective federation championship qualifying races, that do not end until after 6pm. It is also the Big West Conference meet at UC Irvine (southern California location) as well as the Pac 10 meet which though in Oregon has a lot of Southern California connection.

Could they not look at a calendar and note these meets occuring. This will continue to show T&F in a poor light as the meet will be televised and the stands will be empty as a big pool of potential fans have obligations elsewhere. Note this has been the case at this meet except for the year they did not do on this day.

I would love to attend but due to the HS meet and being a coach I cannot, Why not Sunday, or just a different weekend, I along with man others would be their.

I would love to see Felix, Wariner, and Gay...
    i will be there

i can understand as you are a high school coach you have to be and will want to be there for your team. the thing i never understood happened i think in 1994 the CIF and state meet at cerritos college sold out as always, and then they had the USA national championships with lots of superstar athletes especially in the sprints (as always with the USA ) also at cerritos college, and the stands were empty.
    i never understood why more people would rather see high school kids who'se dream is to be on that level, rather than see people who are already at the level the kids at CIF and state hope to be someday.

Comment

Originally posted by doug091463
      i never understood why more people would rather see high school kids who'se dream is to be on that level, rather than see people who are already at the level the kids at CIF and state hope to be someday.
      Friends and family . . .

Comment

I'll be there, despite vowing never to go again after 2006. Been to Home Depot many times for football, rugby and athletics, so my main goal tomorrow is to find a way not to pay them $15 for parking then have to walk miles to the track

Comment

Originally posted by marknhj
          I'lthen have to walk miles to the track
          I have feeling your fit enough to make that walk. 8-)
          phsstt!

Comment

I'll be at Adidas; family and friends are now at this level, and we have followed their dreams from age group, high school, college, and now to this level 8-)

Comment

I doubt the adidas meet had much choice given the television schedule. And is it on the IAAF schedule? That would mean even less choice.

Comment

Originally posted by Halfmiler2
                I doubt the adidas meet had much choice given the television schedule. And is it on the IAAF schedule? That would mean even less choice.
                They are part of the Visa Championship Series......

Comment

Pretty sure this is why the meet's not on Sunday:

May. 17, 2009
                  12:00 PM LA Galaxy vs Columbus Crew

Comment

Originally posted by dl
                    Pretty sure this is why the meet's not on Sunday:

May. 17, 2009
                    12:00 PM LA Galaxy vs Columbus Crew
                    Well, now that I just posted the above, it seems like there's also a soccer game Saturday night, so apparently that's not the reason:

May. 16, 2009
                    8:00 PM Chivas USA vs D.C. United

Comment

ahhh, so Mark will be walking 12 miles to get to the meet.

Comment

IIRC this is not the first time that meet has confllicted with important HS competition in the area.

Comment

they have also had this meet on sundays (most if not all, except last year a couple of the distance races) and the meet has always had HORRIBLE attendance.

Comment

Originally posted by gh
                            ahhh, so Mark will be walking 12 miles to get to the meet.
                            After a quick google, I've found posts that say you can street park on the west side of Avalon, just above Victoria Avenue, or on Victory or Central. A map indicates the first option is equidistant to the furthest extremes of their parking lots, where I always seem to end up. I'll report back for future reference. If anyone sees a tall person who looks lost, and is swearing in a foreign language, it means I've been towed and would appreciate a ride

Comment

What are the towing rates these days in that neighborhood? I got towed once in NYC in 1970. It was $25. I guess, in 40 years, the rates went up :roll: .
                              "A beautiful theory killed by an ugly fact."
                              by Thomas Henry Huxley

Comment

Working...
                              X