• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• marknhj
    replied
    Originally posted by mike renfro
    Mark, did you actually go to the meet?
    Mike - yes, and we must have been close! I sat in the back straight, half way up and about a quarter of the way back from the LJ board. If you saw Joe Douglas, it was me talking to him for the first 30 minutes or so. Parked in the area I referenced above, although was slightly concerned walking back when I discovered they had closed the streets and had "you will be towed" signs out for the real football match that was about to start. Thankfully, I was one of those who left after the 400m...

As you know, the attendance was abysmal. I watched the TV coverage last night and the camera angles made the main stand look much fuller than it was. I'll guess there were less than 1500 people there and that could be generous. They'll probably announce 3000, of course. The presentation was pathetic, in my opinion. I almost went looking for someone to request they change the LJ scoreboard, which remained at 27'05" for the entirety of the competition. If there was a PV board, I didn't see it. The main scoreboard was useless, as they didn't put the fields up and ran the results in groups of 3-4; Scott, as usual, was an excellent announcer, but the other guy sounded like Minnie Mouse on a helium/crack combo, and ran through the fields so quickly it was hard to follow (and put equal emphasis on Olympic Champions and the 3rd place finisher at the Big 2.5, indoor meet).

Walked around a bit in the last 30 minutes to watch Jenn and the finishes of some races and was harassed by "security", I guess for impairing the view of one man and his dog who were fifty feet away. However, if anyone from Nutrilite is reading, I liked your free energy bar samples and ate at least six! All told, pretty much what I expected from adidas Carson.

Leave a comment:

• mike renfro
    replied
    Mark, did you actually go to the meet? I park on the CSU DH parking lot east of the stadium (I think). Not where they have the parking folks collecting money, but closer to campus buildings. On Sunday's, it's free, today it was $4, with machines in which you feed money in exchange for a receipt which allows you not to be towed. After the meet, there was something going on in the real football stadium, from the above, I surmise that it was real football (or as close as we come in the US). If you did go to the meet, where did you sit? I always sit opposite the finish line. Lots of room to stretch out, nobody stands for races and the seats are cheeper

Leave a comment:

• Half Miler
    replied
    looked embarrassing on tv. :cry:

Leave a comment:

• bad hammy
    replied
    Originally posted by tandfman
    Looks to me more like 60% on the homestretch (maybe even a little more). 20% on the backstretch. That's still an awful lot of empty seats.
    Things have filled out some since the meet started (LA folks being notorious late comers to sporting events) but I would say that the 60/20 mix you mention a bit optimistic. If you wanted to sit right on the finish line there are still seats available.

Leave a comment:

• tandfman
    replied
    Originally posted by bad hammy
    Looks like the stands on the homestretch are about 20% full - a great look.

Edit: upon further review make that 15% at best. About 1% on the backstretch. Pathetic . . .
    Looks to me more like 60% on the homestretch (maybe even a little more). 20% on the backstretch. That's still an awful lot of empty seats.

Leave a comment:

• bad hammy
    replied
    Originally posted by Pego
    What are the towing rates these days in that neighborhood? I got towed once in NYC in 1970. It was $25. I guess, in 40 years, the rates went up :roll: .
    Ha! I laugh at your $25 fine. Ha!

In SF if your car gets towed your situation is thus:

1. Call the cops to see if your car was towed rather than stolen. If towed, find out where the police precinct is that issued the ticket/tow order.

2. Find a way to get to that precinct.

3. Once there, pay the fine (figure about $100) and get a release.

4. Find a way to get to City Tow, which will be nowhere near the police precinct.

5. Pay the towing and storage fee (last time I checked, $200 tow fee plus $50/day storage fee).

6. Get car, hope it has not been bashed up by the towing company.

7. That is, if City Tow has not sold it already. They got into trouble a few years back for selling cool cars for next-to-nothing to friends and family.

Leave a comment:

• SQUACKEE
    replied
    It feels kinda sad to see all the empty seats but i guess were not in Yougene.

Leave a comment:

• bad hammy
    replied
    Looks like the stands on the homestretch are about 20% full - a great look.

Edit: upon further review make that 15% at best. About 1% on the backstretch. Pathetic . . .

Leave a comment:

• Pego
    replied
    What are the towing rates these days in that neighborhood? I got towed once in NYC in 1970. It was $25. I guess, in 40 years, the rates went up :roll: .

Leave a comment:

• marknhj
    replied
    Originally posted by gh
    ahhh, so Mark will be walking 12 miles to get to the meet.
    After a quick google, I've found posts that say you can street park on the west side of Avalon, just above Victoria Avenue, or on Victory or Central. A map indicates the first option is equidistant to the furthest extremes of their parking lots, where I always seem to end up. I'll report back for future reference. If anyone sees a tall person who looks lost, and is swearing in a foreign language, it means I've been towed and would appreciate a ride

Leave a comment:

• doug091463
    replied
    they have also had this meet on sundays (most if not all, except last year a couple of the distance races) and the meet has always had HORRIBLE attendance.

Leave a comment:

• tandfman
    replied
    IIRC this is not the first time that meet has confllicted with important HS competition in the area.

Leave a comment:

• gh
    replied
    ahhh, so Mark will be walking 12 miles to get to the meet.

Leave a comment:

• dl
    replied
    Originally posted by dl
    Pretty sure this is why the meet's not on Sunday:

May. 17, 2009
    12:00 PM LA Galaxy vs Columbus Crew
    Well, now that I just posted the above, it seems like there's also a soccer game Saturday night, so apparently that's not the reason:

May. 16, 2009
    8:00 PM Chivas USA vs D.C. United

Leave a comment:

• dl
    replied
    Pretty sure this is why the meet's not on Sunday:

May. 17, 2009
    12:00 PM LA Galaxy vs Columbus Crew

Leave a comment:

Working...
X