Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I think Merritt could possibly medal in the 200 if he ran it

Okay, after reviewing his Carson 200m race on youtube, it is pretty obvious that he would've gone sub 20 in that race if he had run to the tape. And he was running into a headwind.

And there was a very late-called false start for his race, which made the guys run like 80m before the gun second-fired which obviously didn't help at all.

And he is not training for the 200, only the 400.

And he said he was cramping right before the race, and went out slow, and felt sluggish during the race.

I mean, with a little tailwind, no superhuuuuuge false start right before the race, and no cramps and going out slow and feeling sluggish, he is probably capable of sub 19.8. And that's without even training for the 200. With 200m training who knows what he would do.

This guy is pretty scary.

Maybe a combination of those factors pushed him to beyond what he is normally capable of in a 200, even if he didnt push himself all the way

Ive done indoor meets this season in the most diabolical facilities but ran 4 pbs in 3 weeks at these awful venues, i think in the 'face of adversity' i performed better than i normally would. The same could be said of Merritt here; pissed off by the late false start he produced a good performance.

You also mentioned his training; for these indoor meets i didnt taper for them as they in march and april :shock: i did speed endurance and over-event training - however for the AAAs in february i did lots of sharp, speed work and blocks sessions but ran a lot slower

Comment

I dunno man, I think this guy is capable of some seriously scorching times in the 200m.

Obviously he is not going to try to double in Berlin, and it's probably good that he won't cuz he needs to focus all his attention on the 400 if he wants to have a good shot at 400 gold, since Wariner will snatch it up if he diverts any focus from the 400.

But NEXT SEASON, I think it would be pretty awesome if he OFFICIALLY became a 200/400 guy. He looks like he's got bigtime potential in the 200.

Comment

I generally see Merrit as an equal talent too Michael Johnson. I reckon Merrit is a 19.6/7 200m runner and low 43 eventually. MJ wasnt a 19.3 200m runner it was one freak run on an illegal(imo) track where everything went right. MJ was a 19.6/7 200m runner, look at results away from Atlanta, he had a long career and plenty of times to run sub 19.7 and he just didnt.

They might make 400/200 doubles possible if you get Merritt, X-man and Bolt all potential candidates. Would be a great set of races. but thats not going to happen till about 2011 if it ever does.

Comment

Originally posted by Mikewats
          I generally see Merrit as an equal talent too Michael Johnson. I reckon Merrit is a 19.6/7 200m runner and low 43 eventually.
          Merritt first went sub-20 and sub-44 in 2007, shortly before and after his 21st birthday respectively. MJ didn't go sub-20 until he was almost 23, and sub-44 for the first time at almost 25.

Comment

Originally posted by sprintblox
            Originally posted by Mikewats
            I generally see Merrit as an equal talent too Michael Johnson. I reckon Merrit is a 19.6/7 200m runner and low 43 eventually.
            Merritt first went sub-20 and sub-44 in 2007, shortly before and after his 21st birthday respectively. MJ didn't go sub-20 until he was almost 23, and sub-44 for the first time at almost 25.
            Yeah MJ had a lot of injury problems though. But if Merritt keeps injury free and consistent no reason why he can't be a consistent 19.6/7 runner and the odd sub 19.6 in there. same with 400 i think hes got the potential to go sub 43. He wont get the same success as MJ. MJ had it easy compared to these guys. Merritt has Wariner to contend with at the moment and hes now back with his old coach. X-man isnt really a threat at the moment but could be next year. Bolt has openly said hes moving to 400 next season and thats all just in the 400. In the 200 he has even more obstacles with all those guys plus Gay, Dix, maybe Asafa and whatever new guys pop up.

Time consistency wise i reckon he can surpass MJ, just not a chance in hell medal wise. If Lashawn Merritt run 5 or more 19.6's i will respect him more than MJ as a 200m runner.

Also would be nice to see Merritt run some 200's at his peak and not early season with a decent wind and competition. Maybe US champs 2010 or 2011(if he gets a by in the 400)

Comment

Merritt looked like he coasted the last 4 or 5 steps of that 200 and was looking up to his left, at the scoreboard perhaps.
              He had to have been really keyed up to race against that loaded field, but in the end he looked relaxed.
              Maybe he could have run faster.
              Of course a lot of coaches will say you have to "try hard to relax" to run fastest.

Comment

Just seen the video; in another thread a poster said he walked through the tape, ok they will have exageratted but it was still far, far from a walk he was still moving very fast - just not pushign hard

Im not dissing him - he looked very good and i'm lookign forward to seeign him over more 200s this year

Comment

Originally posted by Irish100m
                  Just seen the video; in another thread a poster said he walked through the tape, ok they will have exageratted but it was still far, far from a walk he was still moving very fast - just not pushign hard

Im not dissing him - he looked very good and i'm lookign forward to seeign him over more 200s this year
                  Okay, okay...it was a figure of speech.

But he definitely didnt run through the tape.

Look at the side angle because the head on angle is deceiving.
                  The fool has said...there is no God. Psa 14

Comment

Originally posted by The Atheist
                    I dunno man, I think this guy is capable of some seriously scorching times in the 200m.

Obviously he is not going to try to double in Berlin, and it's probably good that he won't cuz he needs to focus all his attention on the 400 if he wants to have a good shot at 400 gold, since Wariner will snatch it up if he diverts any focus from the 400.

But NEXT SEASON, I think it would be pretty awesome if he OFFICIALLY became a 200/400 guy. He looks like he's got bigtime potential in the 200.
                    I agree. WCh schedule is impossible:

Tuesday August 18 10:05 200 Heat
                    " " 11:05 400 Heat
                    " " 18:55 200 Quarter-final
                    Wednesday August 19 18:15 400 Semi-final
                    " " 19:25 200 Semi-final
                    Thursday August 20 20:35 200 Final
                    Friday August 21 21:20 400 Final

IF Bolt wins Berlin 100 & 200 while Merritt wins 400 they would have byes to enable them to concentrate on their new events. Merritt could run 200 at USAT&F as Wariner has done.
                    none

Comment

Working...
                    X