Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• the adidas 400H [split]

Angelo Taylor is fuming that the 8th hurdle was set in the wrong place and he woulda won had it not been! In any case it's good to see there is one constant in the world: KC chopping his strides into the last hurdle.

Originally posted by Marlow
    Angelo Taylor is fuming that the 8th hurdle was set in the wrong place and he woulda won had it not been! In any case it's good to see there is one constant in the world: KC chopping his strides into the last hurdle.
    Finally I know what he was yelling and screaming about!

I was wondering lol

Comment

What's with this silliness I'm seeing propogated in various news stories (including the IAAF's) that the misplaced hurdle negates the time as a world leader? Horse pucky!

While T&FN would certainly toss the results in terms of having any bearing in a win-loss sequence for the World Rankings, to deny the times places on the yearly list wouldn't remotely be a consideration. Ran 400m, cleared 10 hurdles, and with a pattern that only slowed the times, if anything. This would be akin to throwing out a shot mark because it weighed in heavy!

Comment

Originally posted by gh
        Ran 400m, cleared 10 hurdles, and with a pattern that only slowed the times, if anything. This would be akin to throwing out a shot mark because it weighed in heavy!
        I'm not so sure about that. Some were probably benefited by the hurdle just happening to be in a good place for their stride pattern. Others, definitely worse. I wouldn't consider it valid.

Comment

Fortunately, you don't get a vote.

Comment

Originally posted by gh
            Fortunately, you don't get a vote.
            Yeah, but I'm probably the only 400Her among y'all!

Speaking of which, aren't you proud of my deep dark secret that I've kept so well? :wink:

Comment

I'm not so sure about that. Some were probably benefited by the hurdle just happening to be in a good place for their stride pattern. Others, definitely worse. I wouldn't consider it valid.
              Of course!
              Not surprised that Clement seemed to be the least upset. His comment that he did not let it bother him and that he had run 110 in college and knew how to keep his feet low , was laughable.

Can't believe Garry is serious with his "Ran 400m, cleared 10 hurdles" comment.

Comment

Originally posted by Per Andersen
                Clement seemed to be the least upset.
                That made me laugh. I agree with you, given every hurdles location seems to be a surprise to him, of course it would not bother him. :roll:

Comment

Lol, Clement is usually like "Hey look! A hurdle!!!" ::stutterstep, stutterstep, stutterstep, jump:: "Weeee! I made it!!!!"

Comment

Originally posted by Daisy
                    Originally posted by Per Andersen
                    Clement seemed to be the least upset.
                    That made me laugh. I agree with you, given every hurdles location seems to be a surprise to him, of course it would not bother him. :roll:
                    Agreed - too funny!

On a side note, I am surprised this doesn't happen more often. When I go to meets some high school or college kids are tasked with setting up the hurdles, usually under the guidance of someone who half the time appears clueless. I have oftentimes seen very-last minute changes to either hurdle position on the track or hurdle height, even in the 100/110s, not to mention the tad more complex 300/400h.

Comment

Originally posted by bad hammy
                      On a side note, I am surprised this doesn't happen more often. When I go to meets some high school or college kids are tasked with setting up the hurdles, usually under the guidance of someone who half the time appears clueless. I have oftentimes seen very-last minute changes to either hurdle position on the track or hurdle height, even in the 100/110s, not to mention the tad more complex 300/400h.
                      The guy who appeared to be supervising the hurdle placements ran across the LJ runway about 3m in front of an athlete who was about to start his run up. Didn't even see the jumper.

I think for the reasons stated above, Clement's time should count, and the others not! It obviously shouldn't be used in any win-loss comparisons between Clement/Taylor/Sanchez.

Comment

On a side note, I am surprised this doesn't happen more often.
                        Never happens at any meet I'm at because it's not that hard to take a quick tour around the infield and spot the offending hurdle(s). The problem arises between heats when a hurdle has been hit, not knocked down, still aligned correctly across the lane, but out of place. That's harder to spot.

Comment

Never happens at any meet I'm at because it's not that hard to take a quick tour around the infield and spot the offending hurdle(s). The problem arises between heats when a hurdle has been hit, not knocked down, still aligned correctly across the lane, but out of place. That's harder to spot.
                          Never? Ever? Not ever?

Comment

Originally posted by gm
                            Never? Ever? Not ever?
                            In the 16 years I've been here, neither at a home meet, nor any meet I've been asked to referee, have I seen it happen. It takes MAYBE 30 seconds of checking per race. I do know however, that the second problem I described HAS happened.

The funniest thing I've heard is that in a Euro Grand Prix event they failed to set out a whole set of hurdles and someone like Young or Phillips got to the place where one was supposed to be and hurdled anyway. Pavlov would've been proud!

Comment

... It takes MAYBE 30 seconds of checking per race. ...
                              I doubt MJ could check the hurdles in a 400H that fast?!?! :P :wink:

Comment

Working...
                              X