Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Marlow

The funniest thing I've heard is that in a Euro Grand Prix event they failed to set out a whole set of hurdles and someone like Young or Phillips got to the place where one was supposed to be and hurdled anyway. Pavlov would've been proud!
    Not as funny as HS teammate had an opponent knock over his last hurdle in the 110H. So, what does he do? He stops, looks at the judge and then after some encouragement finishes. :roll:

Comment

Originally posted by Jnathletics
      ... It takes MAYBE 30 seconds of checking per race. ...
      I doubt MJ could check the hurdles in a 400H that fast?!?! :P :wink:
      You don't have to look at each one individually; it's a symmetry thing. What looks odd?

Comment

It's more fun when a whole flight of hurdles is set wrong in the short hurdles and the whole field falls on their face.

Comment

Originally posted by gm
          Originally posted by bad hammy
          On a side note, I am surprised this doesn't happen more often.
          Never happens at any meet I'm at because it's not that hard to take a quick tour around the infield and spot the offending hurdle(s). The problem arises between heats when a hurdle has been hit, not knocked down, still aligned correctly across the lane, but out of place. That's harder to spot.
          Never? Ever? Not ever?
          In the 16 years I've been here, neither at a home meet, nor any meet I've been asked to referee, have I seen it happen. It takes MAYBE 30 seconds of checking per race. I do know however, that the second problem I described HAS happened.
          You changed your story, pal.
          You said it ""Never happens at any meet I'm at""
          I'm in nitpicking mode...

Comment

Originally posted by gm
            You changed your story, pal.
            You said it ""Never happens at any meet I'm at""
            I'm in nitpicking mode...
            Guilty! When I'm not asked to be an official, I spend every nano-second with my athletes. I exhibit some very annoying mother-hen behaviors. Did you hydrate after that last event? Get out of the sun! Take one more practice approach/jump. Do not take another approach/jump. Change poles. Move your step back. Move your standards back. Be more aggressive in the take-off. Keep your trail arm quieter. Bounce more in the second phase. It goes on all meet long . . . ! :roll:

Comment

Observation on the Carson track from one who understands this stuff:

<<....The most confusing track on the planet. The track is measured and marked for the 100/110 sprints/hurdles in both directions PLUS it has all OVAL marks for two finish lines. You know the story - they built it, measured it, painted it, then decided they wanted the finish line on the other side!...>>

Comment

All of that may be true, but you would think the local officials would be aware of that and would know that they have to be careful when they put down the hurdles. This should never have happened.

BTW, I totally agree with gh's views regarding the statistical acceptance of the marks from that race. They should be considerd valid.

Comment

Originally posted by tandfman
                  All of that may be true, but you would think the local officials would be aware of that and would know that they have to be careful when they put down the hurdles. This should never have happened.
                  True, Carson is not the only track marked in both directions. Considering the level of this meet, the national TV coverage (the m400h being the kickoff event on TV, no less), I find this hard to excuse.

Originally posted by tandfman
                  BTW, I totally agree with gh's views regarding the statistical acceptance of the marks from that race. They should be considerd valid.
                  Obviously this was an inadvertent error the athletes had nothing to do with, and I like the gh approach. But taken to its extreme it is concievable to set up 10 hurdles in an unconventional pattern in such a way as to maximize lap times beyond those yielded by the traditional layout.

Comment

If the athletes had had foreknowledge of the setup, i agree they might maximize their effort, but since in this instance everybody in the race had a "WTF?!!!" moment, I think we can safely assume this was a hindrance, not an aid.

Comment

Originally posted by Per Andersen
                      Can't believe Garry is serious with his "Ran 400m, cleared 10 hurdles" comment.
                      Apparently, he was! :twisted:

Comment

"...Clement is usually like "Hey look! A hurdle!!!" "
                        "...every hurdles location seems to be a surprise to him...."

You guys just cracked me up!

Comment

Originally posted by gm
                          On a side note, I am surprised this doesn't happen more often.
                          Never happens at any meet I'm at because it's not that hard to take a quick tour around the infield and spot the offending hurdle(s). The problem arises between heats when a hurdle has been hit, not knocked down, still aligned correctly across the lane, but out of place. That's harder to spot.
                          Never? Ever? Not ever?
                          In the 16 years I've been here, neither at a home meet, nor any meet I've been asked to referee, have I seen it happen. It takes MAYBE 30 seconds of checking per race. I do know however, that the second problem I described HAS happened.

The funniest thing I've heard is that in a Euro Grand Prix event they failed to set out a whole set of hurdles and someone like Young or Phillips got to the place where one was supposed to be and hurdled anyway. Pavlov would've been proud!
                          The 400h can take a lot of time because the number 1 error in my (modest) experience is that the hurdles have the wrong weight setting, typically too hard (to tip) in the 400h (and in the women's races).

Comment

Originally posted by 26mi235
                            The 400h can take a lot of time because the number 1 error in my (modest) experience is that the hurdles have the wrong weight setting, typically too hard (to tip) in the 400h (and in the women's races).
                            To quote John McEnroe . . . you cannot be serious! I have never seen them adjust the weights! I'm sure they must do it at really big open meets, but I've never been in a meet where they did it (assuming it even has movable weights, which many cheaper hurdles do not).

Comment

Originally posted by 26mi235
                              To quote John McEnroe . . . you cannot be serious! I have never seen them adjust the weights! I'm sure they must do it at really big open meets, but I've never been in a meet where they did it (assuming it even hwho as movable weights, which many cheaper hurdles do not).
                              OK, I can stand this no longer. What kind of backwater state do you live in?? I see them adjust height and weight settings all the time. While you are spending 30 seconds checking the entire 400m site for proper hurdle placement who is checking heights and weights??

Comment

OK, I can stand this no longer. What kind of backwater state do you live in?? I see them adjust height and weight settings all the time. While you are spending 30 seconds checking the entire 400m site for proper hurdle placement who is checking heights and weights??
                                I'm all about hurdles being in the right place at the proper height. I could not care less about the proper 'weight'. HS kids fall just as easily with with zero weight hurdles!

Comment

Working...
                                X