Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bolt- "I wont defend my 100m Olympic crown in London

Don't know about you but I am disappointed in this news. The 100m will lose alot of its luster in London if Bolt doesn't run.
    ================================================== ===========

http://www.football.co.uk/manchester_un ... 5140.shtml

Olympic champion Usain Bolt says he will give up running the 100m to concentrate on the longer sprints and cement his place among the legends of the track.
    But the 22-year-old Jamaican's desire to be ranked alongside the likes of American super-athlete Michael Johnson means he would sacrifice the chance to defend his Olympic 100m crown at the London Games in 2012. And the absence of the fastest man in the world from the blue riband event of the Games would be a huge blow to the organisers.
    Bolt, in Manchester for today's BUPA road races over a specially constructed track in the city, said: 'My coach wants me to step up to the 400m next season and I think that's what will happen. The 100m will suffer because it would be difficult to do all three, the 100, 200 and 400. But it doesn't matter that I may lose the title of the fastest man in the world because I want the 400m world record.
    Cows need love too

The best news ive heard in a long time, wow! Totally cool.
    phsstt!

Comment

Originally posted by SQUACKEE
      What is good about the world's fastest man not defending his title. The 100m is where its at. for the Olympics.
      Cows need love too

Comment

He should defend olympic 100, 200 and 4x100 titles, who has actually done that??? more so the individual titles.

then for 2013 move to 400m, hes then got 4 years to get the record and get the olympic title. Didnt Michael Johnson break the record when he was about 29 and still won olympics when he was 30ish. So it would be perfect for Bolt. Then retire after 2016 Olmypics. 4 years is plenty of time to achieve what he wants to in the 400 and age wont be a factor. He needs to focus on 100m for another 4 years put down a truely crazy time, then do the same for 400. Not all this swapping between events every year.

Comment

His trainer also stated in the Beijing lead-up that Bolt might not double (100m, 200m). Believe it when you see it.

Comment

Originally posted by jamaicantrackfan
            What is good about the world's fastest man not defending his title. The 100m is where its at. for the Olympics.
            I'm with Squack. Been there, done that with the 100. I wanna see a 400 of the same quality.

Comment

So Bolt can turn down the 100m, but Klüft can't decline an invite in the hep?

Comment

Originally posted by Marlow
                Originally posted by jamaicantrackfan
                I'm with Squack. Been there, done that with the 100. I wanna see a 400 of the same quality.
                Thanx Mar, i assume Bolt will take the 100 record down to where it belongs and then i want to see where he can take the 400! Really exciting to me anyway.
                phsstt!

Comment

Originally posted by EPelle
                  So Bolt can turn down the 100m, but Klüft can't decline an invite in the hep?
                  Sure, she can and she has. So can Bolt do whatever he pleases. Neither one of them (and numerous other athletes) are subject to the whims of the knowitalls of the magazine's message board. It is beyond me how the Mikewats (and the ones last year that criticized Caro's decision) of this world pretend, they know more what's good for the athletes' than the athletes themselves.
                  "A beautiful theory killed by an ugly fact."
                  by Thomas Henry Huxley

Comment

Would be a bad decision in my opinion. As the poster said; defend all his titles then go for 400 gold in 2016

Comment

Well, LaShawn Merritt did call him out earlier this year. Now he's got his wish.

Comment

Originally posted by jazzcyclist
                        Well, LaShawn Merritt did call him out earlier this year. Now he's got his wish.
                        I wondered why Wariner had gone back to Hart. Must've heard the news that he'd be expected to run against Bolt next year! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Comment

I like that he seems serious about being willing to move up to the 400.

However

Instead of switching to the 400 next season, I think he should switch to it in the 2011 season.

This is because I do not think he will lower his 100m to 9.4x this season, but I think there is a real chance he could do it if he gets a whole extra season (next season) to try. Especially since this season hasn't been particularly great for him so far.

If I were him, I would switch to the 400 either after running under 9.50 in the 100m, or after the end of the 2011 season, whichever comes first, I think.

Comment

If he switches to the 400m without first lowering the 9.69, he will be in danger of losing the 100m record before getting the 400m record. Simultaneously owning the 100/200/400 records would be more legend-building than if the 100 record is broken first.

Comment

It's 3 years a away and it could change.

But I'm excited that he wants a new challenge but a little disappointed that he doesn't plan to defend the 100.

The way he looked running that 150 he may lower his record before then.

This annnoucement does put the other 400m runners on notice though for next season.

The good news is that it could inspire more Jamaican boys to pursue the 400 and strengthen their team in that event. We know the talent is there so maybe its just the interests that is lacking.
                              The fool has said...there is no God. Psa 14

Comment

Working...
                              X