Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Steeplechase Euro Champ Keskisalo boycotts new ECp format

In an interview shortly after his easily winning the Finnish XC championship over 4km, Jukka Keskisalo declared he isn't going to represent Finland at this year's European Cup due to the ridiculous devil-takes-the-hindmost format used.

I want to continue as a steeplechaser, rather than a circus clown. [...] (As far as new things are concerned), the EAA bosses could consider starting to use their heads.
    He also pointed out that mass sprints such as the format would inevitably induce are plain dangerous in his event due to the proximity of the last barrier to the finish line.

I'd say we need more of this. Has anybody else declared anything similar? I seem to recall some displeased talk in the UK in particular last year.

AFAIK we're still entering a team but I completely agree with Keskisalo here. DTTH would be a nightmare in the 'chase.

Comment

Why not introduce it into every track event? In the 100m, we could eliminate last place at each 10m split (up to 60m). Obviously, the eliminated runners could continue, but would be excluded from the results. "No, Bolt didn't win: he was last at 10m. Gay didn't win either: he was last at 20m" That, coupled with a no false start rule would surely generate lots of interest. :twisted:

And how about a similar system for the field events? Last place at the end of each round? Goodbye, you are the weakest link.

Automatic DQ for lifters in the walks, anyone? No 2 warnings. Just gone.

But the final idea is, I'm sure you'll agree, the best: The next person to come up with some new idea to 'improve' our sport is staked out on the in-field, exactly 95m from the javelin run-up. Next up: Tero Pitkamaki.

P.S. If they happen to be female, they can be staked at 75m during a women's competition.

Comment

All I can say about DTTH races is that the EAA people have apparently never actually seen one. They were a "common" feature of indoor meets in the U.S. in the '70s, and I'm not sure I ever saw one that was remotely entertaining.

As I recall, quite often the last person would just ignore the step-off-the-track clause ayway.

In San Francisco, Tom Jordan (now longtime director of the Pre Classic) several times had the job of dressing up in a devil costume—complete with pitchfork!—and nabbing the last guy in the queue. The fact that the Pre meet has never had one tells us something.

Comment

Originally posted by gh
          All I can say about DTTH races is that the EAA people have apparently never actually seen one. They were a "common" feature of indoor meets in the U.S. in the '70s, and I'm not sure I ever saw one that was remotely entertaining.
          IIRC, they were "common" only on the left coast. I don't think I ever saw one in the East, and I went to an awful lot of indoor meets in those days. (I'd probably go to an awful lot now if they existed. )

From the few California meets where I did see the DTTH race, I got the impression that some people were entertained by it, but it was never taken seriously as a track event. In fact, IIRC, the DTTH races did not involve top athletes--it was purely a novelty event.

I suspect you're right about the EAA, and I wouldn't be surprised if they scrub the idea once they see how it actually operates in the context of a real race that is supposed to mean something.

Comment

There was a DTTH one-mile race at the Birmingham Indoor Grand Prix once. It was hilarious because it was such a car crash. Needless to say it didn't become a regular fixture...
            http://twitter.com/Trackside2011

Comment

the idea is to make all the races fast so we don't get the usual dawdle followed by a sprint but this will just be a glorified fartlek session which will result in stupid results. i hope everyone boycotts i'm certainly not going to watch :-(

which is probably a good thing as i've just spent god knows what on booking Berlin :-)
              i deserve extra credit

Comment

Originally posted by mump boy
                the idea is to make all the races fast so we don't get the usual dawdle followed by a sprint but this will just be a glorified fartlek session which will result in stupid results. i hope everyone boycotts i'm certainly not going to watch :-(
                I'm not a fan of the new rules either. I'll give them a chance just to see if there are any tangible benefits to the competition (doubtful). The new jumps rules, if I remember them correctly, are insane. I know they had to do something to spruce the competition up (eventhough I quite liked it the way it was), but I don't think it's going to achieve anything.

which is probably a good thing as i've just spent god knows what on booking Berlin :-)
                I hear ya. It's cost me a bomb so far!

Comment

Originally posted by mump boy

I would just like to clarify. Mump will be watching he just won't be in the stadium watching.

I think I can speak for both of us when I say that we wouldn't miss this car crash for the world!!!

Comment

Working...
                  X