Collapse

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

so is it the shoes or did the HJ become cool for high schoolers?

Comment

Notice what that youngster said though:

“When I went over 6-8 I felt myself bend a whole lot more than I have before. I got my head way back, and I knew that's what I had to do to get higher.”

I don't harp on a lot of younger jumpers since it takes time to learn the event and sharpen one's technique. This example shows how beneficial it can be to employ simple improvements in one's technique. If more did this we would have a lot more HS jumpers over 7'+. Many of these ultra-talented jumpers are "sitting" over the bar because of poor coaching regarding body mechanics. Most will say that HS is a time for just having fun and learning the event. However, if you expect to get a scholarship and climb the elite ladder to be noticed, you really do need to develop some proficiency as early as possible. Not everyone will have Donald Thomas poential, but good technique can take you pretty darn far.
      If you're ever walking down the beach and you see a girl dressed in a bikini made out of seashells, and you pick her up and hold her to your ear, you can hear her scream.

Comment

Originally posted by Dietmar239

“When I went over 6-8 I felt myself bend a whole lot more than I have before. I got my head way back, and I knew that's what I had to do to get higher.”

I don't harp on a lot of younger jumpers since it takes time to learn the event and sharpen one's technique. This example shows how beneficial it can be to employ simple improvements in one's technique. If more did this we would have a lot more HS jumpers over 7'+. Many of these ultra-talented jumpers are "sitting" over the bar because of poor coaching regarding body mechanics. Most will say that HS is a time for just having fun and learning the event. However, if you expect to get a scholarship and climb the elite ladder to be noticed, you really do need to develop some proficiency as early as possible. Not everyone will have Donald Thomas poential, but good technique can take you pretty darn far.
        next, you are going to claim that hard work matters...

lots of even mediocre athletes have these "ah ha" moments where their technique suddenly works and the results far exceed previous experience. I hope the young man and his coaches are able to retrace what happened and figure out how to repeat it without too much frustration. I can imagine his next meet being 6'6 or 6'8" and frustration developing.

Comment

Originally posted by Dave

lots of even mediocre athletes have these "ah ha" moments where their technique suddenly works and the results far exceed previous experience. I hope the young man and his coaches are able to retrace what happened and figure out how to repeat it without too much frustration. I can imagine his next meet being 6'6 or 6'8" and frustration developing.
          I don't think you're feelin me. I'm just tired of people seeing someone with great jumping ability, but lousy technique and everyone tells their coaches, "don't change a thing or you'll ruin them", etc.

I saw a guy jump 6'10" before and he cleared the bar in an absolute fetal ball. Since he had such great leaping ability his coach decided not to tweak his technique at all until he got to college. Now, imagine trying to untrain that. Guess what? None of the big colleges took him. Hmm, I'm glad Stefan Holm's father didn't think like that.
          If you're ever walking down the beach and you see a girl dressed in a bikini made out of seashells, and you pick her up and hold her to your ear, you can hear her scream.

Comment

Originally posted by Dave

I don't think you're feelin me. I'm just tired of people seeing someone with great jumping ability, but lousy technique and everyone tells their coaches, "don't change a thing or you'll ruin them", etc.

I saw a guy jump 6'10" before and he cleared the bar in an absolute fetal ball. Since he had such great leaping ability his coach decided not to tweak his technique at all until he got to college. Now, imagine trying to untrain that. Guess what? None of the big colleges took him. Hmm, I'm glad Stefan Holm's father didn't think like that.
            We are very close to the same perspective.

Comment

Most will say that HS is a time for just having fun and learning the event. However, if you expect to get a scholarship and climb the elite ladder to be noticed, you really do need to develop some proficiency as early as possible.
              That's exactly right. The longer a coach lets an athlete get away with lousy technique the more difficult it becomes to correct. And, way too many in my opinion focus on minor detail, rather than first making sure fundamentals are sound. There's always room for fine-tuning as an athlete matures in the event, but get the basics right first.

Comment

Working...
              X