Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• World Championships 4x100

I've gotten into a couple of heated discussions about the upcoming World Games and the 2 powerhouse countries- USA and Jamaica's respective relay teams. I was at Penn this year and saw the US completely dominate the men's 4x100. Walter Dix gave them a HUUUUGE lead, and the deficit was never reduced, not even one meter. Here's the thing: Bolt will obviously be running in Berlin, presumably on 3rd leg. If Tyson Gay is as healthy as he was before his injury, and the US has the same kind of lead it had on Jamaica at Penn going into leg 3, I DO NOT believe even Bolt makes up all of that ground.
    ....Not on a healthy Tyson.
    If this scenario takes place, the US wins, no question.
    It seems a lot of people have forgotten how fast Gay was prior to his pull.
    If he's that far out, he's not getting caught.
    What do yall think?

Re: World Games 4x100

Originally posted by scratchman
    What do yall think?
    Can they hold on to the baton?

Comment

I think you're forgetting that a meet early in the season means very little, and that Jamaica has all 4 of it's WR and Olympic Champions running again this year (so far).

Bolt is the fastest human who has ever run 100m, and looks good to improve this year.
      Powell is the second fastest human who has ever run 100m, and has improved every year for many years in a row.
      Frater & Carter both have PBs <10.00.

If you ignore Gay's 9.77 (which I believe had a faulty wind-gauge, but no matter), Powell and Bolt have the 11 fastest 100m times ever, and 17 of the 18 fastest by active runners.

How could they lose if they're healthy and don't flub the exchanges?

Consider the stats below. The US runners each need to get 0.03-0.5 seconds faster compared to their Jamaican counterparts to be of equal speed.

US Team 2008: 39.46
      9.77 Tyson Gay (Bizarre Wind)
      9.91 Walter Dix
      9.89 Darvis Patton (Bizarre Wind)
      9.89 Travis Padgett (Bizarre Wind)

Jamaica Team 2008: 39.36
      9.69 Usain Bolt
      9.72 Asafa Powell
      9.97 Michael Frater
      9.98 Nesta Carter

US Team 2008 (Not Counting the +1.6m/s quarters): 39.69
      9.84 Tyson Gay
      9.91 Walter Dix
      9.96 Travis Padgett
      9.98 Darvis Patton

Jamaica Team 2008 (2nd best result): 39.47
      9.72 Usain Bolt
      9.77 Asafa Powell
      9.98 Nesta Carter
      10.00 Michael Frater

Comment

Baton passing is the key. Teams with Spearmon 2nd & Gay 3rd won 2005 NCAA, 2006 WCup and 2007 WCh.

IF Dix practices for six weeks (especially in August) a team of Dix, Spearmon, Gay and Patton would have a lead after the final exchange. Powell may not catch Patton.
        none

Comment

Originally posted by rainy.here
          Bolt is the fastest human who has ever run 100m...
          Actually, Tyson's run faster - 9.68! :P

Comment

I think you're forgetting that a meet early in the season means very little, and that Jamaica has all 4 of it's WR and Olympic Champions running again this year (so far).

Bolt is the fastest human who has ever run 100m, and looks good to improve this year.
            Powell is the second fastest human who has ever run 100m, and has improved every year for many years in a row.

If you ignore Gay's 9.77 (which I believe had a faulty wind-gauge, but no matter), Powell and Bolt have the 11 fastest 100m times ever, and 17 of the 18 fastest by active runners.

Consider the stats below. The US runners each need to get 0.05-0.6 seconds faster compared to their Jamaican counterparts to be of equal speed.

US Team 2008: 39.53
            9.91 Walter Dix
            9.96 Travis Padgett (Bizarre Wind)

9.69 Usain Bolt
            9.72 Asafa Powell
            9.97 Michael Frater
            9.98 Nesta Carter

9.84 Tyson Gay
            9.91 Walter Dix
            9.96 Travis Padgett
            9.98 Darvis Patton

9.72 Usain Bolt
            9.77 Asafa Powell
            9.98 Nesta Carter
            10.00 Michael Frater
            The hate runs thick thru Track and Field News as well I see!!!

Comment

Bold font or not, the USA team is still cumulatively slower than the composite Jamaican team. Either which way you spin it - wind guage history or not, the USA team has an average of 9,88 per man vs 9,84 for Jamaica.

Comment

Consider the stats below. The US runners each need to get 0.05-0.6 seconds faster compared to their Jamaican counterparts to be of equal speed.

9.91 Walter Dix

9.69 Usain Bolt
                9.72 Asafa Powell
                9.97 Michael Frater
                9.98 Nesta Carter

9.84 Tyson Gay
                9.91 Walter Dix
                9.96 Travis Padgett
                9.98 Darvis Patton

9.72 Usain Bolt
                9.77 Asafa Powell
                9.98 Nesta Carter
                10.00 Michael Frater
                How can you say that Penn really didn't mean anything?
                The Jamaicans had 3 of their 4 and were absolutely annihilated. Relays are an entirely different dynamic, or have you forgotten? If this was a 3-man relay Tyson, Dix, & Padgett beat Carter, Frater, & and Powell all day long. The difference is Bolt. The US ran 37.92 without Tyson. The Jamaicans were never in the race. Had Carter been on lead off with Dix, he woulda gotten toasted too. The margin would've been nearly the same. If Bolt and a healthy Tyson were on 3rd at Penn, do you really think he makes up all that ground? I see the race being much like the 07 World's, only Patton is a much stronger finisher than Leroy Dixon, and Powell would not catch him.

Comment

Originally posted by Gleason
                  Baton passing is the key. Teams with Spearmon 2nd & Gay 3rd won 2005 NCAA, 2006 WCup and 2007 WCh.

IF Dix practices for six weeks (especially in August) a team of Dix, Spearmon, Gay and Patton would have a lead after the final exchange. Powell may not catch Patton.
                  I agree.
                  I just dont see Spearmon on there this time. I think Padgett takes over backstretch duty. And honestly, to set up Tyson, I think I'd switch and put Dix on 2nd. He'd annihilate Frater and give Tyson a greater lead IMO. If Spearmon is ready and improving by August- maybe. He doesnt appear to primed for this season yet. I even like the idea of a Dix to XMan combo for 1 & 2 if X lives up to his potential this year. Either way, we have a chance to upset Jamaica IMO.

Comment

Jamaica had 3 of the WR holding team on that relay at Penn, so its feasible.

While April is not the measure to feel comfy in a win at WC's, it will only happen with baton exchange practice & 4 healthy legs , in order to make it possible.

Comment

Originally posted by scratchman

9.91 Walter Dix

9.69 Usain Bolt
                      9.72 Asafa Powell
                      9.97 Michael Frater
                      9.98 Nesta Carter

9.84 Tyson Gay
                      9.91 Walter Dix
                      9.96 Travis Padgett
                      9.98 Darvis Patton

9.72 Usain Bolt
                      9.77 Asafa Powell
                      9.98 Nesta Carter
                      10.00 Michael Frater
                      How can you say that Penn really didn't mean anything?
                      The Jamaicans had 3 of their 4 and were absolutely annihilated. Relays are an entirely different dynamic, or have you forgotten? If this was a 3-man relay Tyson, Dix, & Padgett beat Carter, Frater, & and Powell all day long. The difference is Bolt. The US ran 37.92 without Tyson. The Jamaicans were never in the race. Had Carter been on lead off with Dix, he woulda gotten toasted too. The margin would've been nearly the same. If Bolt and a healthy Tyson were on 3rd at Penn, do you really think he makes up all that ground? I see the race being much like the 07 World's, only Patton is a much stronger finisher than Leroy Dixon, and Powell would not catch him.
                      Penn's really doesn't mean anything...The US always wins there.
                      Afrikan

Comment

Originally posted by justblaze1011

9.91 Walter Dix

9.69 Usain Bolt
                        9.72 Asafa Powell
                        9.97 Michael Frater
                        9.98 Nesta Carter

9.84 Tyson Gay
                        9.91 Walter Dix
                        9.96 Travis Padgett
                        9.98 Darvis Patton

9.72 Usain Bolt
                        9.77 Asafa Powell
                        9.98 Nesta Carter
                        10.00 Michael Frater
                        How is that hate???? He isn't the only one who feels that way.
                        Afrikan

Comment

9.91 Walter Dix

9.69 Usain Bolt
                          9.72 Asafa Powell
                          9.97 Michael Frater
                          9.98 Nesta Carter

9.84 Tyson Gay
                          9.91 Walter Dix
                          9.96 Travis Padgett
                          9.98 Darvis Patton

9.72 Usain Bolt
                          9.77 Asafa Powell
                          9.98 Nesta Carter
                          10.00 Michael Frater
                          All the open 100m times are completely irrelevant as they aren't running from a standstill on a relay with the obvious exception of the first leg. The order in which the teams would run and them getting the stick around cleanly would be what would determine who would win and by how much, not their open 100m times.

Need I remind you, the fastest relay on paper doesn't always win...

Comment

Originally posted by Taliban

9.91 Walter Dix

9.69 Usain Bolt
                            9.72 Asafa Powell
                            9.97 Michael Frater
                            9.98 Nesta Carter

9.84 Tyson Gay
                            9.91 Walter Dix
                            9.96 Travis Padgett
                            9.98 Darvis Patton

9.72 Usain Bolt
                            9.77 Asafa Powell
                            9.98 Nesta Carter
                            10.00 Michael Frater
                            The hate in times that have been run. All this "faulty times" talk is nothing but bogus claims. Its a pretty known fact that the US trials are pretty tough, which could also be another reason why athletes performed better at the nationals last yr and not at the Oly games, cuz they peaked for trials.

At any rate, folks will continue to discount athletes they've seen perform at countless numbers of meets, but won't speak about athletes that pop out of nowhere to run times they hadn't shown an inkling of being able to run prior to that performnace.

Comment

Originally posted by knite
                              Originally posted by Taliban

9.91 Walter Dix

9.69 Usain Bolt
                              9.72 Asafa Powell
                              9.97 Michael Frater
                              9.98 Nesta Carter

9.84 Tyson Gay
                              9.91 Walter Dix
                              9.96 Travis Padgett
                              9.98 Darvis Patton

9.72 Usain Bolt
                              9.77 Asafa Powell
                              9.98 Nesta Carter
                              10.00 Michael Frater
                              The hate in times that have been run. All this "faulty times" talk is nothing but bogus claims. Its a pretty known fact that the US trials are pretty tough, which could also be another reason why athletes performed better at the nationals last yr and not at the Oly games, cuz they peaked for trials.

At any rate, folks will continue to discount athletes they've seen perform at countless numbers of meets, but won't speak about athletes that pop out of nowhere to run times they hadn't shown an inkling of being able to run prior to that performnace.
                              People aren't doubting the times they are doubting the wind reading. People act like a wind gauge can not malfunction. The wind was up and down that day. We all expect a few people to PR but everybody??? Call me a hater then.

Flo Jo 10.49......
                              Afrikan

Comment

Working...
                              X