New York Reebok Grand Prix 2009: news, updates, 4x100s?

Collapse

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Tammy_Baby
    • May 2009
    • Brooklyn, NY- ~What's good?~

Originally posted by toyracer
    Originally posted by Tammy_Baby
    I just need for him to man up and just run dang it
    He tried that already, remember? He "man up" and ran at Penn, only to aggravate the injury and make it worse.

An ankle injury is not the nicest in the world, believe me.

I for one cannot blame them (Francis and Asafa, especially Francis since Asafa showed bad judgment in trying to run at Penn) for being cautious at this point. The bottom line is that only two events matter in '09: the Jamaican trials and the Berlin WC. Any other meet is not necessary, is not crucial, and if the athlete is not healthy enough in the eyes of the coach it is better to err on the side of caution than to lament afterward.

So, on this point we differ. You need him to "man up" and run in New York. I need him to be 100% healthy to run in Kingston, then Berlin. We can agree to disagree.
    It's all good and I respect your opinion....If he's "really injured" then he is and godspeed with the recovery... However, my thing is this is a constant thing with Asafa. Like I said, injured this meet, then next week he is fit as a fiddle, runs break a record and no signs of injury. I'm gonna assume you've done some form of track or field before. If you've been injured, you know injuries doesn't work like that. I happened to be at the final exchange at Penns and observed Safa, he was runing well until he was passed by Thompson and the he became "injured"...Now mind you, I'm not saying he wasn't really, but EVERYONE knows, if you aggravate and already existing toe or ankle injury, you don't hold your hammy...come on... Now just because I criticize the gy doesn't mean I don't like him...I do, but as a fan of the sport he constantly disappoints... And as far as Penn Relays goes, there was so much politics involved with Asafa running as opposed to Marvin and (dang I forgot the sixth who was back there warming up). We have a "techniacl director" called DQ and that's all I'm going to say about that... Also, these interviews that they give the media doesn't make it look good for them either, it flip flops form day to day...You can't say your athlete isn't ready to run here today, but next week he's gonna be ready...How can you possibly predict that??? I know Frano isn't God, so there is no way he knows this...Unless safa is ready and they're really not telling anyone. Asafa himself said he was... First it was the ducking out of the 100m between him and Tyson, now this

I know Wc's and our Nat'l meet is the 2 big meets for this year, and I too want him to be more than healthy, but this year has started like every other year... I guess we'll just have to wait it out and see
    ~ I bleed BLACK, GREEN, and YELLOW~

Comment

• joeltetreault
      • Oct 2005

Kluft is entered in the long jump now!

http://www.reebokgrandprix.com/news/29/ ... rand-Prix/

Comment

• TrackDaddy
        • Nov 2007
        • The Command Post

Toy

You said that there are only two meets that matter this year, but I wonder how Asafa's sponsor feels about that?

Isnt there an expectation that he will compete all season?
        The fool has said...there is no God. Psa 14

Comment

• Tammy_Baby
          • May 2009
          • Brooklyn, NY- ~What's good?~

Well Asafa says he's running, but truth be told, that will be an added bonus if it happens. I'm going to see my girls VCB Aleen and Kenia run. It's gonna be interesting to see how Ms Fraser fares in the 200m. I think she had her appendix removed and that has set her back in training some, so I am anxious to see how she looks...Heck the women's races are stacked, that's why I love watching them compete, they go out there and line up, no ducking or anything.... I wanna see the high schoolers one more time also before nat'l trials...
          ~ I bleed BLACK, GREEN, and YELLOW~

Comment

• gcheves
            • Oct 2005

Originally posted by jamaicantrackfan
            Originally posted by tandfman
            Originally posted by mcgato
            I've got my ticket, so I'll probably be there again. I hope the traffic situation is better than last year. It took forever to get off the island.
            It can be pretty bad getting out of the Icahn parking lot if the stadium is full. But isn't that true of most stadium parking lots at the end of a sports event?
            It was a major headache last year getting in and out of Ichann stadium. Took us almost an hour to park almost missing the first race. I plan to arrive at least two hours before the meet begins this year.
            Hey Jamaican,

Don't bring the Calibar banner this time and take the X80 or X35 bus :-)

Comment

• Bowbridge
              • Apr 2007
              • Astoria, New York

For those driving in and worried about the parking at the Stadium, I'd suggest you come over the Triboro (now the RFK) Bridge and park in Astoria, right near the foot of the steps going to the pedestrian walkway across the bridge. Parking is easy (and free) there, and the walk across the bridge to the Stadium is about 20 minutes or so, and you get some great views. Lots of people walk/run/bike the bridge, so if you are worried about safety, it's OK. Enjoy the meet!

Comment

• toyracer
                • Feb 2009
                • Kingston, Jamaica

Originally posted by TrackDaddy
                Toy

You said that there are only two meets that matter this year, but I wonder how Asafa's sponsor feels about that?

Isnt there an expectation that he will compete all season?
                His sponsors probably feel the same way Gay's sponsors feel. ;-)

In all seriousness, I am sure there is an expectation of a season of competition, but a realistic sponsor should also recognize that an injured athlete won't be able to compete at all if he/she tries to force an early return and sustains a more serious injury.

Tammy_Baby, can you give me an example or two of Asafa's " injured this meet, then next week he is fit as a fiddle, runs break a record and no signs of injury" (not necessarily with the record part)?
                Regards,
                toyracer

Comment

• TrackDaddy
                  • Nov 2007
                  • The Command Post

Well Asafa says he's running, but truth be told, that will be an added bonus if it happens. I'm going to see my girls VCB Aleen and Kenia run. It's gonna be interesting to see how Ms Fraser fares in the 200m. I think she had her appendix removed and that has set her back in training some, so I am anxious to see how she looks...Heck the women's races are stacked, that's why I love watching them compete, they go out there and line up, no ducking or anything.... I wanna see the high schoolers one more time also before nat'l trials...
                  True...
                  The fool has said...there is no God. Psa 14

Comment

• Taliban
                    • Mar 2009
                    • Some Track

Start Lists for the High School Athletes can be seen here:

http://www.dyestatmetro.com/?pg=reg1-20 ... entry-info

Good to See Jamaica and Trinidad represented. I'm anxious to see how Jermaine Brown will do in the 100m. I think he is one of the best HS sprinters in the country.
                    Afrikan

Comment

• Boxer4robb
                      • Mar 2009

Thanks for the link taliban
                      no natoya goule for the 800m ????

Comment

• 110hedgeNYC
                        • May 2009

do you all know how they are marketing this meet? It's seems to be very word of mouth oriented marketing, that and targeting the Jamaican and West Indies communities and press.

there has not been much in other mainstream media sources in NYC like the New York Times, the Post, the Daily News or Time Out New York.

It's bizarre. I don't think they promote this thing as effectively as they could, yet it sold out last year.

they added about roughly 2000 capacity on the West side, which is awesome. the bleacher set on that side is much much nicer than last year. hope they sell it out this year.

Comment

• jamaicantrackfan
                          • Oct 2005

Originally posted by 110hedgeNYC
                          do you all know how they are marketing this meet? It's seems to be very word of mouth oriented marketing, that and targeting the Jamaican and West Indies communities and press.

there has not been much in other mainstream media sources in NYC like the New York Times, the Post, the Daily News or Time Out New York.

It's bizarre. I don't think they promote this thing as effectively as they could, yet it sold out last year.

they added about roughly 2000 capacity on the West side, which is awesome. the bleacher set on that side is much much nicer than last year. hope they sell it out this year.

I don't think they will have a problem selling tickets this year after last year was sold out. I have spoken with a couple of folks who are disappointed that Bolt will not be runnning there(he broke the WR here last year) but I wouldn't be surprised that we have another sellout crowd.

The folks who market the meet I believe are doing a good job. Initially they targetting the Penn Relays crowd this year with tonnes of flyers advertising the meet. Flyers featuring Big name Jamaican stars as well as HS stars.

Getting only a fraction of the Penn Relays crowd and the meet is guaranteed to be sold out.
                          Cows need love too

Comment

• tandfman
                            • Oct 2005

Originally posted by 110hedgeNYC
                            If they can sell out with sub-optimal promotion (and they obviously can), why should they spend the time, money, and effort it takes to promote it as effectively as they could?

Comment

• justblaze1011
                              • Jul 2006
                              • Arrogant Avenue!!!

Dang!!! Hope Jiffy Pop comes back well and thats real. I had a teammate that had that operation and he never was the same.

Comment

• AthleticsInBritain
                                • Feb 2008
                                • Liverpool, UK

On the front page it says Kluft will be long jumping in New York. Anyone know if she's planning to compete in the triple jump as well this year? I think she could go far if she gets it right.

Comment

Working...
                                X